Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Possessed Wipers

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  StormRune 
#1 ·
Here's a weird one. The rain sensing wipers on intermittent setting go on as expected then keep speeding up after a while (5-10) minutes until they are going max speed or I turn off and restart them. Not a big issue but you would think this tech would work properly - not like it's anything new. Funny gremlins.

#2 ·
It isn't normal and you may have a bad sensor, or the area of the windshield where the sensor is has obtained a coating of something that is making the sensor go mad. Wax coating or bug remains on the outside of the windshield in the area of the review mirror and cameras?

#3 ·
FWIW, I've had this issue in my 2004 Touareg; the sensor fogs up, which sets it off to the max, which automatically increases the wiper rate to the max. I've also had it happen in my first I-Pace when it was humid and cold, so perhaps it's really about condensation. Not 100% sure on this though.

#4 ·
The rain sensing wipers on my I-Pace might be the worst rain sensing wipers I have ever had. They are way too intermittent and allow to much rain to build up on the glass between swipes. I either use them on a set speed, or I do a lot of 1 touch of the stalk manual wipes.

#17 ·
yeah, mine suck too. on occasion, I would guess around 50% of the time they start to speed up and don't stop even after the rain has. Have to manually turn it off. Also I notice that they are really slow to react and wipe when the windshield gets wet. But the worst is at night it always drywipes, seems to happen if I drive under a street light or overpass. I gave up on them and turned the autowipe off in the menu. BTW what is that winter mode thing about, I turn it on and don't notice any difference, it supposed to park the wipers up but it doesn't seem to do a **** thing.

#18 ·
yeah, mine suck too. on occasion, I would guess around 50% of the time they start to speed up and don't stop even after the rain has. Have to manually turn it off. Also I notice that they are really slow to react and wipe when the windshield gets wet. But the worst is at night it always drywipes, seems to happen if I drive under a street light or overpass. I gave up on them and turned the autowipe off in the menu. BTW what is that winter mode thing about, I turn it on and don't notice any difference, it supposed to park the wipers up but it doesn't seem to do a **** thing.
Must just be a poorly designed system. Never had this issue with any other RS wipers going back to my 2010 Genesis.

#19 ·
Here's a weird one. The rain sensing wipers on intermittent setting go on as expected then keep speeding up after a while (5-10) minutes until they are going max speed or I turn off and restart them. Not a big issue but you would think this tech would work properly - not like it's anything new. Funny gremlins.
I had this very same problem. Dealership replaced the sensor, and the wipers have been working perfectly ever since.

#20 · (Edited)
I know on Porsche rain sensors, the sensor had to be recalibrated by the dealer if the windshield was changed. They work by measuring differences in refraction of an IR light from an LED that shines on the windshield at a steep angle which is then read by a sensor sitting at the opposite bounce side of the angle (picture a shallow V). When water appears on the windshield it changes the refraction index of the outer glass layer and the change in reflected IR is detected. You can see how this might be really sensitive to the finer characteristics of each piece of glass.

Extrapolating from this I assume they have to initially calibrate the sensor for this car too. Maybe yours came from the factory miscalibrated and you just need the dealer to do a recalibration?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.