Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The new NEC requires that outlets installed in a garage, including EV charger outlets, must now be protected by a GFCI breaker. These GFCI breakers are known to trip when used with EVSEs, which means a hardwired EVSE (which does not require GFCI) is potentially going to be more attractive than a portable one if you do not have an outlet already installed.
Local codes can vary, I think, but I'll see if that is a requirement for me. (probably soon)

·
Registered
568 Posts
For those with a mounted smart box, do you hardwire it or plug it into an outlet? I can still get the outlet installed in the garage while I ponder the charger options
I have an outlet connector. NEMA 14-50R that came with the house in the garage for EV charging as required by local code. 40 amp circuit.

·
Registered
569 Posts
So is that a "smart" wall mount unit you can easily take with you? Or a non-smart charging cable? What is the model number?

Thanks!
Yes it is a wall mount unit. It is the now "older model Juicebox Pro 40 that hangs on a wall bracket. It has a 14-50 plug. The phone app can connect directly to it. In fact you need to do that to set it up to connect to your home/business WIFI.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes it is a wall mount unit. It is the now "older model Juicebox Pro 40 that hangs on a wall bracket. It has a 14-50 plug. The phone app can connect directly to it. In fact you need to do that to set it up to connect to your home/business WIFI.
A neighbor of mine is a contractor/handyman. I'll see if he can install the 240 volt outlet or if he has a subcontractor electrician that can do it. Sounds like the outlet might be the way to go, but I still need to confirm the GFCI requirement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After much consideration, I went with the Chargepoint 50.

I like a clean look in my garage and the Chargepoint fits the bill nicely and is adjustable up to 50 amps, for future use.

On another note, I have sold consumer electronics for many years (not chargers) and, if I am any judge, the build quality of the Chargepoint is just superb and the installation was a breeze. No regrets here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I imported a USA made OpenEVSE from this website to Australia. It is compact enough that it can be taken in the vehicle when travelling, or it can also be fixed mounted at home. These EVSEs are now on sale too.

My unit is made for markets that limit the AC supply to 32Amps, but most units are 48A/40A capable for the American market. The I-Pace will only take max 32A, the limit of the I-pace onboard charger.

They come in single and three phase versions, as Kits & Fully Assembled to suit various EV requirements. All of the component parts are available for repairs if damaged, or upgrading for future vehicle requirements i.e. from single to 3 phase supply for charging.

The output amps can be set from 6 Amps to Max amps to suit your power outlet amps rating when travelling.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thought that might be the case.

For those with a mounted smart box, do you hardwire it or plug it into an outlet? I can still get the outlet installed in the garage while I ponder the charger options.
Plug-in. Why? I can hard-reset the unit (yes, the charger has crashed several times over the last year), replace the unit if.when needed, or simply take the unit out of its wall mount and take it with me.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts