Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at some of the chargers out there and it seems like the specs and power delivered by a "portable" charger is pretty much the same as wall mounted units. The one big difference is the price with potable models under $500 and wall mounted units over $500. This isn't an exhaustive search result, but I found what seems to be a decent portable charger (Mustart) for $350 and a wall unit (JuiceBox) for $600 on Amazon. I've read a thread on this forum that seemed to show both styles in use by I-Pace owners. What are the pluses and minuses for each in a typical garage setup indoors? I figure I'll have a portable charger in the car, but not sure why that isn't just as good in the garage. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Looking at some of the chargers out there and it seems like the specs and power delivered by a "portable" charger is pretty much the same as wall mounted units. The one big difference is the price with potable models under $500 and wall mounted units over $500. This isn't an exhaustive search result, but I found what seems to be a decent portable charger (Mustart) for $350 and a wall unit (JuiceBox) for $600 on Amazon. I've read a thread on this forum that seemed to show both styles in use by I-Pace owners. What are the pluses and minuses for each in a typical garage setup indoors? I figure I'll have a portable charger in the car, but not sure why that isn't just as good in the garage. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Here's the link to a previous thread that's very informative: The Most Flexible I-Pace Charging Solution

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts

Thanks!
I'm a convert to chargers that have an app and show you charging stats. At first I had a simple Level 2 cable but logging anything was a hassle. Now I have a ChargePoint and I can see on the app what's going on and keep a record of the session.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I am a technology person, but I want the simplest dumbest charger I can get. So I use the Mustart. The only time I get wall mounted is if they are outdoors and I want environmental rating. The Mustart has been the most reliable charger across various EVs, where the fancier ones can sometimes give me trouble. So it all depends on features you want, if you like to see data as @sciencegeek said then a smarter one is worth the money.

But they will all charge the car the same.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Juicebox 40. The app is helpful for time of use charging. You can also track your energy use if that interests you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Juicebox 40. The app is helpful for time of use charging. You can also track your energy use if that interests you.
I bought a mustart. I wanted a portable unit because I have a 240v outlet at home and access to a garage at work with a 240v outlet. I have had my i-pace less than a week so I cant yet speak to reliability but the 25' coed version fits in the frunk. I plan to charge at work when I can and at home when I have to.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have an old 30 amp Schneider from 2011 to charge my LEAF. Works fine and I have no inclination to compile data. If spending money today it would be ClipperCreek 24 or 32 amp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a ChargePoint wall unit that I installed myself in 2015 when I had a Chevy Volt. It’s been great and I like the built-in cable management and dock for the plug. It’s also nice since it will actually tell me when the car has finished charging unlike Jaguar’s app which only notified me a handful of times. I think the choice between the two is if you want smarts and something that is more eye pleasing or do you just want a beefy extension cord.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a ChargePoint wall unit that I installed myself in 2015 when I had a Chevy Volt. It’s been great and I like the built-in cable management and dock for the plug. It’s also nice since it will actually tell me when the car has finished charging unlike Jaguar’s app which only notified me a handful of times. I think the choice between the two is if you want smarts and something that is more eye pleasing or do you just want a beefy extension cord.
Exactly, thanks for weighing in! I'm not sure how much smarts I need, but I might not know until I need it! ;)

The cable supplied by Jaguar is a 240 volt cable? If so, I might use that for a time and then decide whether I want the smarts or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
The cable supplied by Jaguar is a 240 volt cable? If so, I might use that for a time and then decide whether I want the smarts or not.
Nope, it's 110V in the US. It's effectively a trickle charger.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, it's 110V in the US. It's effectively a trickle charger.
Thought that might be the case.

For those with a mounted smart box, do you hardwire it or plug it into an outlet? I can still get the outlet installed in the garage while I ponder the charger options.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use the ChargePoint Home WiFi Enabled Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger - Level 2 240V, 32A. Really just because it was what Jaguar was listing as approved at the time. I like the software built in alerts and energy use/cost tracking. I opted for the plug in version, which looked to be the same as the hardwired version, but plugged in. Seemed easier to replace if there was ever an issue.

Reactions: DocHudson

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
I use the ChargePoint Home WiFi Enabled Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger - Level 2 240V, 32A. Really just because it was what Jaguar was listing as approved at the time. I like the software built in alerts and energy use/cost tracking. I opted for the plug in version, which looked to be the same as the hardwired version, but plugged in. Seemed easier to replace if there was ever an issue.
Same here exactly

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a JuiceBox plugged in. I figured the electrician would easily understand installing a NEMA 1540 and the charger could be replaced if needed. My Juicebox died and was replaced, so just swapping it was already enough to have justified going with the plug rather than hardwired.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
829 Posts
Juicebox and Chargepoint models can come in either hardwire or plug-in versions.

I got the plug-in Juicebox, along with its optional carrying case and the optional plug adapter kit. The allows me to take it with me and plug it into any flavor of outlet 120V or 240V in the US and Canada if I ever have a need to. The phone app allows me to adjust what it is plugged into amperage wise. It self-senses the differences in voltages.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The new NEC requires that outlets installed in a garage, including EV charger outlets, must now be protected by a GFCI breaker. These GFCI breakers are known to trip when used with EVSEs, which means a hardwired EVSE (which does not require GFCI) is potentially going to be more attractive than a portable one if you do not have an outlet already installed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since I-pace is a British made car, where household has 220 v outlet, I wonder if the cable supplied by the Jaguar can actually be plugged into a 220 v outlet here with an adapter to get near level 2 charge. Is this the case for I-pace in countries with standard 220 v outlet? My understanding is that supplied cable is the same worldwide. I also understand this this case for Tasla. Has anyone there in the US actually tried this?

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
It does say 120V 60 Hz on the unit, with no range that you would typically see in widely compatible devices. I think you'd fry it.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Juicebox and Chargepoint models can come in either hardwire or plug-in versions.

I got the plug-in Juicebox, along with its optional carrying case and the optional plug adapter kit. The allows me to take it with me and plug it into any flavor of outlet 120V or 240V in the US and Canada if I ever have a need to. The phone app allows me to adjust what it is plugged into amperage wise. It self-senses the differences in voltages.
So is that a "smart" wall mount unit you can easily take with you? Or a non-smart charging cable? What is the model number?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts