Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I haven't looked in depth in its capability, drive, features etc. But I am a bit surprised by the look. It is so meh. I don't know why it doesn't even look like modern Volvos, which to my eyes are great but they are better than this.

This to me looks like an update of boring old style American Sedans. And I don't find the interior too compelling either.

I think it still blows away the Model 3 or Model S inside.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't looked in depth in its capability, drive, features etc. But I am a bit surprised by the look. It is so meh. I don't know why it doesn't even look like modern Volvos, which to my eyes are great but they are better than this.

This to me looks like an update of boring old style American Sedans. And I don't find the interior too compelling either.

I think it still blows away the Model 3 or Model S inside.
It looks like a Dodge Charger or a Dodge Challenger to me, too!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm curious about their subscription model compared to leasing -
"A car doesn't have to be a colossal, one-time expense on which you lose money the second you begin to drive. Polestar feels that car ownership should more closely resemble phone ownership: an all-inclusive monthly fee, with the option to return or upgrade at the end of your term, without any hassle or headache. Polestar's future subscription model makes this a reality, with a monthly price including a host of services that allow you to focus on the joys of having a Polestar"

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
"A car doesn't have to be a colossal, one-time expense on which you lose money the second you begin to drive. Polestar feels that car ownership should more closely resemble phone ownership: an all-inclusive monthly fee, with the option to return or upgrade at the end of your term, without any hassle or headache. Polestar's future subscription model makes this a reality, with a monthly price including a host of services that allow you to focus on the joys of having a Polestar"
Ok so essentially a lease in which maintenance and insurance is included?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Business model
Polestar will take a new approach to market with subscription as the primary offer. The cars will be offered as an all-inclusive single monthly payment, aiming to take the hassle out of traditional vehicle ownership.

The monthly fee will include everything from maintenance, insurance and roadside assistance to pick-up and delivery services that will redefine the owner experience. All orders and transactions will be completed online.

This online approach will be complemented by stand-alone retail spaces around the world. Polestar Spaces will be located in city areas where people gather and where customers can experience Polestar by meeting and talking with product experts.
https://www.polestar.com/us/about-us

This company (and AB Volvo) is owned by Zheijang Geely Holding Group. Might have something to do with the design shift. This is not your father's Volvo. That Volvo (1999-2010) was owned by Ford.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Volvo has it as an option for the S60 and XC40. Here's an example for the XC40 R-Design:
$800/month, 15K per year, 24 month subscription. Includes insurance and maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
At this point it's another concept car.
More curious what Porsche will actually deliver. They dropped the suicide doors already.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice #s, ugly car.
Tell me about it. Never been a fan of Volvo's design but I give them the credit of coming out with designs that look like nothing else.
Some buyers are after that along with what else Volvo brings to the table so if it means success for them then so be it.
Jaguar/Land Rover takes the cake for me

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't mind the look and those are some really impressive figures. But until there are actual real world numbers, I see this kind of information just as vaporware. Don't know if it will actually end up succeeding as the Model 3 fighter that Volvo is claiming. Build quality will probably be better.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
It is a very nice looking car, inside and out. In profile, it has similar lines to the IPace. Slightly shallower slope to the hatch and a little longer nose. Given how awesome the infotainment works on the current Volvo line, I expect this car will be every bit as good and if the descriptions hold true, a step ahead of just about everything else out there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a very nice looking car, inside and out. In profile, it has similar lines to the IPace. Slightly shallower slope to the hatch and a little longer nose. Given how awesome the infotainment works on the current Volvo line, I expect this car will be every bit as good and if the descriptions hold true, a step ahead of just about everything else out there.
Really? I hear Sensis is laggy (see CNet's Roadshow review). Not as buggy as Jag's though.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Really? I hear Sensis is laggy (see CNet's Roadshow review). Not as buggy as Jag's though.
I don’t own one, but have spent a fair amount of time test driving XC90s and V90s and didn’t notice any lag. I have also driven over 2000km in rented XC60s in Europe over the past few months without even a hint of a problem. Either I’ve been super lucky in the 8-10 cars I drove or they had a special case.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unless they make most of the car out of plastic, there's no way to have that much HP give that much range on 75KWh. It's just not possible.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If they are WLTP then it makes sense.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If they are WLTP then it makes sense.
Yes, it seems all the European mfgr's have been initially releasing WLTP range figures which are always much more than std, EPA, real-world range numbers. Hoping for > 300 mi. but guessing the real-world range on this new Polestar 2 will be more like 250-270mi. which is still better than the I-Pace (and our I-Paces have a larger, higher capacity battery). It's all about efficiency.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The data released for the PS2 is all eurospec. 0-100kph, kW not HP, km (mi) range. If 275 miles is WLTP, that would compare to 292 miles WLTP for the I-Pace.

We will see.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts