Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Phantom drain update. Charged the I-Pace to 94% using L1 charger on Monday (6/15). Charging stopped by "pausing" on WattCat app remotely, then removing cable an hour or two later.

Checked car status through Jaguar app and WattCat yesterday (6/16), it showed 90%.

Checked again a few minutes ago (6/17) and it showed 87%.

So it looks like I'm losing 3% per day for some reason. Any thoughts out there? I may be adding this drain to my list for service to look at when I take it to Jaguar soon. In the mean time, I'd love to see if there are any ideas out there. The car has been idle and nobody has even opened the door since charging stopped.

One other strange thing, though the battery percent has dropped from 94% to 87%, the range has stayed steady at 240 miles.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
Does it match the percentage that the EV panel gives you? (It should)
I would also take it for a drive for a few miles and then lock it again ...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had the same problem after my 19c SOTA update didn't install properly. The software was running in the background which gave me the phantom drain. The service rep said I should lock my doors and that would help, which wasn't true.
Service ended up reinstalling the 19c update which fixed the drain.
Now I get virtually no drain, locked or unlocked

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Does it match the percentage that the EV panel gives you? (It should)
I would also take it for a drive for a few miles and then lock it again ...
Yes, the current 87% and 240 miles matches the panel behind the steering wheel.

I can try the drive/lock, but after my previous incident dropping from 92% to 67% over 9 days, I pretty much did that. Plugged it in for a day or so, I did a 15 mile or so trip and then parked and locked it. Then plugged in the L1 charger again for a day or so to bring it up to 94%.

My first thought was software like @PS702 suggests, but I obviously can't say for sure. I'm guessing that will be an issue for the Jag service guys as soon as I finally get my registration and then take it in to the dealer for service.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I appreciate everyone putting in their 2 cents on this and a multitude of other things that are brought up by many on this forum. It's nice having that brain trust around when you need them!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Haven't we established that the car is way behind on software updates? The car needs to be updated for infotainment, battery energy management, powertrain control module and TCU. All of these had known issues causing battery drain. Some early cars also needed the BECM module to be replaced but they were a minority of the population and only an examination by the local vet will be able to determine that..Most likely the programming updates will fix it.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Haven't we established that the car is way behind on software updates? The car needs to be updated for infotainment, battery energy management, powertrain control module and TCU. All of these had known issues causing battery drain. Some early cars also needed the BECM module to be replaced but they were a minority of the population and only an examination by the local vet will be able to determine that..Most likely the programming updates will fix it.
I'm thinking you are correct. I supposedly have H264, but I am running S18D and TCU 14.2. Not sure about battery management and powertrain control. As soon as I can get into the dealer for service, I assume that will all get sorted out. I'd much rather not have the daily drain when the car is idle, especially since I only have the L1 charger right now. L2 charger should be installed in the garage by the end of the month.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My drain happened with 18D so hopefully the updates will solve the problem. I'm not so sure about updating the TCU or battery management software. I asked in January to update both but was told by the dealer that Jaguar refused the new software because new updates we're coming soon - just six months ago.... Still waiting.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This drain is definitely not normal. I have zero drain whether my doors are locked or unlocked. At one point I hadn't driven the car for 2 days and there was zero change in range or % SoC. This contrasts with my previous MS that would typically drain 3 or more miles per day. So something is definitely up Pete.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Haven't checked the car yet, but on the InControl app and WattCat app they are both showing 87% and 240 miles. The exact same as yesterday! Yesterday, I got into the car and pushed the start/stop button without my foot on the break. Verified status and then pushed the start/stop button again and got out of the car. Potentially no drain since then, interesting.

Another strange thing, my WattCat app was initially showing tire pressure and over the last several days it was not. Now today it is showing tire pressure again. Coincidence with the power drain?

Also in the WattCat app, I got an alarm that "preconditioning stopped" yesterday. I believe no preconditioning has been configured, so this seems like a software bug.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hmm. There was one app I used with the Tesla that I was absolutely convinced was causing phantom drain. The app owner insisted it didn't, but once I eliminated the app, the drain because less. I'm not saying WattCat does that or I'd assume more users would be complaining.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hmm. There was one app I used with the Tesla that I was absolutely convinced was causing phantom drain. The app owner insisted it didn't, but once I eliminated the app, the drain because less. I'm not saying WattCat does that or I'd assume more users would be complaining.
I'm not thinking the WattCat app, but I am wondering if turning the car "on" and then "off" did something that stopped the drain. Curious. I'm still looking forward to that service appointment, whenever I finally make it, and hopefully get some upgraded software.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
Perhaps the TCU was stuck in some sort of loop because it couldn't communicate with the JLR servers properly. It seems possible that it might use 100W if it's just going nuts and maybe a couple other bits of hardware are on the fritz too because of it.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts