Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken had another fruitful sale job! And Matt at Jaguar is the beneficiary. And of course me too! ;)

Drove 130 miles to pickup my I-Pace today and had a terrific drive home! Some initial observations:

The car is a rock. It just feels so solid. Driving it feels like it will do everything and anything you want it to, exactly when you want it to. It's like an extension of me. Just feels great.

Acceleration I tried once on the test drive in comfort mode and my wife said to not do that again because she's getting queasy. Fast, yeah.

My initial uneducated try at getting the Android Auto to work was not great, but I may have been doing something out of order or my phone was a little out of it. First couple of tries failed, I tried a different way and it worked but was stuttering and jumpy like a bad connection. I moved my phone and it all of a sudden got better.

I tried the Jaguar Nav also and it worked well, but I'm not logged in yet so I didn't get traffic info. Still looking to see if AT&T is required or if I can use a different carrier.

Most of the drive home was highway and I was running the A/C because of the 85 degree day. I drove 130 miles, but the car lost about 165 miles in range. I was driving quite a bit between 70 and 85. I used Eco Mode.

I was using the high regen and I wasn't paying attention at one point while stopped with my foot off of the break and the car starting rolling backward on a somewhat sloped road. The lady behind me wasn't amused. Have to keep an eye on that!

The cabin was really quiet. I think that adds to the "solid" feel while driving. Not a peep out of the car, just smooth silence.

As soon as I got home, a neighbor lady immediately asked if it was new and said how great it looked. That didn't take long!

So far a great day. The car is in the garage with the Jaguar supplied L1 charger doing its best to give me a few miles tomorrow. I need to quickly jump on getting the 240 volt outlet installed in the garage.

Now the learning and great driving enjoyment starts! I'll be busy for a while with both, I think.

Pete

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ken had another fruitful sale job! And Matt at Jaguar is the beneficiary. And of course me too! ;)

Drove 130 miles to pickup my I-Pace today and had a terrific drive home! Some initial observations:

The car is a rock. It just feels so solid. Driving it feels like it will do everything and anything you want it to, exactly when you want it to. It's like an extension of me. Just feels great.

Acceleration I tried once on the test drive in comfort mode and my wife said to not do that again because she's getting queasy. Fast, yeah.

My initial uneducated try at getting the Android Auto to work was not great, but I may have been doing something out of order or my phone was a little out of it. First couple of tries failed, I tried a different way and it worked but was stuttering and jumpy like a bad connection. I moved my phone and it all of a sudden got better.

I tried the Jaguar Nav also and it worked well, but I'm not logged in yet so I didn't get traffic info. Still looking to see if AT&T is required or if I can use a different carrier.

Most of the drive home was highway and I was running the A/C because of the 85 degree day. I drove 130 miles, but the car lost about 165 miles in range. I was driving quite a bit between 70 and 85. I used Eco Mode.

I was using the high regen and I wasn't paying attention at one point while stopped with my foot off of the break and the car starting rolling backward on a somewhat sloped road. The lady behind me wasn't amused. Have to keep an eye on that!

The cabin was really quiet. I think that adds to the "solid" feel while driving. Not a peep out of the car, just smooth silence.

As soon as I got home, a neighbor lady immediately asked if it was new and said how great it looked. That didn't take long!

So far a great day. The car is in the garage with the Jaguar supplied L1 charger doing its best to give me a few miles tomorrow. I need to quickly jump on getting the 240 volt outlet installed in the garage.

Now the learning and great driving enjoyment starts! I'll be busy for a while with both, I think.

Pete
Pete, you can use any cell provider's sim but you have a 90 day free trial (assuming new car) with AT&T. Also, you can use Creep Mode to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards. Some folks don't like it with high regen but I do and my wife requires it. Not sure about the problem with Android Auto but I usually keep my phone in the cubby to keep the wire out of sight.

·
Super Moderator
2,355 Posts
The hill hold function works with high regen too. The trick is to get the car to engage the brakes first. Then you can let your foot off the brake.
If you come to a slow rolling stop on flat ground the car will apply brakes automatically. But if you go uphill the brakes don't catch automatically and you have to brake with the foot to keep it from rolling backwards; then listen for the very subtle 'crunch' sound, that's the brake. Then you can let your foot off.
In D, it only works going uphill. If you're pointed downhill the brake won't hold.
In R, it only works going downhill. If you're pointed uphill the brake won't hold.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of other things:

Tested out the adaptive cruise control. It kept a serious distance between me and the car in front of me. Slowed me down if car going slower than me was in my lane and sped me back to the speed setpoint after changing lanes.

I tried lane assist too. It seemed to keep me in the lane automatically if the lane didn't curve too much. At one point, I let it do it's thing through a tighter curve and it gave up and cancelled my cruise control and since I was on high regen, it slowed me down pretty quick too. Seemed to steer okay if only minor changes

I checked my software versions when I got home. It looks like I have S18D installed now. Telematics was 14.2. Thoughts on whether those should be upgraded?

I started my L1 charging around 6:30pm or so with 83 miles of range and at 10:15 pm now, it is showing 100 miles of range.

Still a ton to learn.

·
Registered
692 Posts
A couple of other things:

Tested out the adaptive cruise control. It kept a serious distance between me and the car in front of me. Slowed me down if car going slower than me was in my lane and sped me back to the speed setpoint after changing lanes.

I tried lane assist too. It seemed to keep me in the lane automatically if the lane didn't curve too much. At one point, I let it do it's thing through a tighter curve and it gave up and cancelled my cruise control and since I was on high regen, it slowed me down pretty quick too. Seemed to steer okay if only minor changes

I checked my software versions when I got home. It looks like I have S18D installed now. Telematics was 14.2. Thoughts on whether those should be upgraded?

I started my L1 charging around 6:30pm or so with 83 miles of range and at 10:15 pm now, it is showing 100 miles of range.

Still a ton to learn.
You've come to the right place! The following distance or gap of the adaptive cruise control (ACC) is selectable using the up and down arrows on the left side of the steering wheel. There are 4 distances and the system defaults to Gap 3. Mine also adapts to my profile and will default to Gap 4 at higher speeds.

Lane assist is just that - an assist - and not a self driving system. It keeps the car pretty centered but don't trust it with hands off the wheel.

18D is very old. I'm very surprised that the dealer didn't upgrade. Jaguar updates software 3 or 4 times per year.The naming convention starts with the year then what # upgrade for the year. 18A is the first update for 2018 and 18B is the 2nd, etc. 18D is the 4th upgrade for 2018 and there have been tremendous improvements since. There are also updates to the battery, telematics, and other systems. I hope there's a dealer close by to perform the updates. Once the car has 19B or later (we're currently on 20A) many updates will be over-the-air.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed that the dealer let you drive away without the updates and might not have done the recall work either.

Finally, whew, the Jaguar-provided charger adds about 1% per hour while a level 2 adds 8%.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Pete, please PM me your VIN and I'll tell you if the recall work was performed and if anything else is outstanding. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,355 Posts
Yes. What Curt said.

Here's the difference between software updates on your computer (or Telsa, kudos to them here) and software updates with Jaguar. (Can't speak to other traditional car manufacturers for lack of experience.) We assume that our computers and cell phones get updated to the latest version if we have automatic updates turned on or if we simply request them.

Not so at the JLR dealer. I just went and had H280 done. Think the dealer updated anything else? Nope. I'm on older telematics control versions than my previous I-Pace. For my previous I-Pace they updated the software to the latest at the time (Sept 2019) because the car's battery was damaged and they wanted to rule out all other possible causes. My 2020 new I-Pace has an earlier software version than Sept 2019 because it still has the software from when it was produced. No updates since then except the ones I explicitly asked for.

When I bought the new one I asked the dealer to "update to latest software". They did H228 and S19C at the time because I mentioned them by name. I guess they didn't go beyond that.

The only way the dealer will update to latest software is if you assert that there is a problem and tell them which software it is. Without problem no update. And if you're not specific, good luck. I think it's JLR policy. They just don't reimburse dealers unless the customer asserts a problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to club

Reactions: DocHudson

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. What Curt said.

Here's the difference between software updates on your computer (or Telsa, kudos to them here) and software updates with Jaguar. (Can't speak to other traditional car manufacturers for lack of experience.) We assume that our computers and cell phones get updated to the latest version if we have automatic updates turned on or if we simply request them.

Not so at the JLR dealer. I just went and had H280 done. Think the dealer updated anything else? Nope. I'm on older telematics control versions than my previous I-Pace. For my previous I-Pace they updated the software to the latest at the time (Sept 2019) because the car's battery was damaged and they wanted to rule out all other possible causes. My 2020 new I-Pace has an earlier software version than Sept 2019 because it still has the software from when it was produced. No updates since then except the ones I explicitly asked for.

When I bought the new one I asked the dealer to "update to latest software". They did H228 and S19C at the time because I mentioned them by name. I guess they didn't go beyond that.

The only way the dealer will update to latest software is if you assert that there is a problem and tell them which software it is. Without problem no update. And if you're not specific, good luck. I think it's JLR policy. They just don't reimburse dealers unless the customer asserts a problem.
I did send a note to my salesman about what I found to be the latest software versions in this forum and he said they would do upgrades. Either he forgot or they figured I didn't "need" the latest.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had lots of different problems on 18D and can give you a list to complain about to the dealer 😉

I found the Jaguar iGuide app to be very helpful. It's the electronic owners manual and I would pick a topic of interest and sit in the car to mash buttons with iGuide for assistance.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had lots of different problems on 18D and can give you a list to complain about to the dealer 😉
I'll be taking it for service at a different dealership. Hopefully they do get something out of upgrading me or they might not be excited to see me.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Pete
Congratulations!
If you think it is fast in the comfort mode, wait until you tried dynamic mode.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Emailed my dealer salesman. He said that when he looks at TOPIx, he only sees the "H213 regenerative braking system" as still outstanding. He also said the service manager said that the other service was done or they are liable and that it won't show up fully on TOPIx for up to 60 days due to furloughed employees.

Not sure that sounds Kosher to me. I still think my InTouch and Telematics would not be where they are (InTouch S18D and Telematics 14.2) if the H228 and H264 software updates were done. Am I thinking correctly on this? Are the InTouch and Telematics separate from the H228 and H264 updates?

Here is what I see on TOPIx:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Emailed my dealer salesman. He said that when he looks at TOPIx, he only sees the "H213 regenerative braking system" as still outstanding. He also said the service manager said that the other service was done or they are liable and that it won't show up fully on TOPIx for up to 60 days due to furloughed employees.

Not sure that sounds Kosher to me. I still think my InTouch and Telematics would not be where they are (InTouch S18D and Telematics 14.2) if the H228 and H264 software updates were done. Am I thinking correctly on this? Are the InTouch and Telematics separate from the H228 and H264 updates?
The dealer is correct that it can take awhile for TopiX to reflect changes so I would trust that they did the recall work. H228 and H264 were related to range and driveability changes and not the infotainment. I would push them for 20A simply to allow the car to make use of SOTA which was not available with 18D.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts