Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the TeslaTap I ordered from here. I haven't been able to try it out yet, but I wanted to see what kind of experiences anyone else here has had with one. I plan to update this post after trying it myself.

To clarify for those wondering, the TeslaTap is an adapter that allows us to use a Tesla Destination charger, and not a supercharger. I'm primarily looking for the ability to expand my hotel and restaurant options when traveling.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
I've used mine exactly twice and it worked great. They are adamant about following a specific sequence of plugging in, so make sure to store it and the instructions together in your frunk!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve used mine a lot at work. We had a Tesla destination charger and a clipper creek installed a while back and when I had my Volt there was no competition for the plug. Now that more people are going electric it was harder to snag the clipper but no one was using the Tesla. I’ve used it on the road a couple of times at a bed and breakfast while staying away from home. Supposedly the newer Tesla destination chargers have a switch that only allows a charging session if it senses a Tesla signal, but I don’t have any newer chargers to test that on. If you can open the charger it can be overridden.

I’ve read about people following a specific sequence and timing to use the adapter but I’ve never done any dance to get it to work. Just plug Tesla charger into TeslaTap then plug in the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've used mine exactly twice and it worked great. They are adamant about following a specific sequence of plugging in, so make sure to store it and the instructions together in your frunk!
I was happy when I found out about TeslaTap on this forum. I went to TeslaTap and am buying one for $180. I am concerned about what they said specifically about using it with an IPACE. Here is their comment: "** Jaguar I Pace will not work if the HPWC or Destination Charger is set for 48 or 80 AMP charging signals. Charging has been verified at 32, 40, 56, 64, and 72 AMP settings".

I am going to purchase one because there a lots of destination chargers around, and my guess is that most are installed at 40 amps. I don't know of a way to find out ahead of time except by calling the "destination" and my guess is that they will not readily know.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A new local mall has a bunch of EV charging stations, but 3/4 of them are Tesla only. Grumble. I think I'll park there and just not charge, instead of forking out money for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am confused as ordered one and cannot see that it fits Ipace charger socket despite numerous people saying they use them for Ipace?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am confused as ordered one and cannot see that it fits Ipace charger socket despite numerous people saying they use them for Ipace?
[/QUOTE]
I know this sounds silly, but there is a rubber cap on the TeslaTap that needs to be removed before inserting it. Did you buy yours from the US inventor or is it a knockoff from China? My US one fits great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the update. I would contact the store/person that sold it you you. I purchased mine from the "inventor" I think. He has been very responsive to questions. Here is his contact info...in case you purchased from him. Did you buy yours new?

UMC-J1772 Store

1315 Deer Trail Ln.
Santa Ynez, CA 93460 View Google Map
Telephone
805-886-5213

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not even close to Tesla Tap arrangement..one end Tesla wall charger other Ipace connection
Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure looks like the plug you're showing will fit into the socket on your car. You do realize that you've exposed the CCS ports (under the rubber dust cap) on your car and that the TeslaTap is J1772 and should only fit in the top part right? You do not need (and should leave covered) the CCS ports when using the TeslaTap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not even close to Tesla Tap arrangement..one end Tesla wall charger other Ipace connection
Seeing that you are in the UK, I don't think you would need the TeslaTap as the UK mandates plug types on EV's. Tesla uses the same Type 2 plug that Jaguar uses. In the US Tesla has their own proprietary plug that the TeslaTap adapts to J1772 plug which looks a little like the Type 2 plug minus a couple pins and round without the flat section at the top.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FYI - I do see that TeslaTap has a product line specifically for the UK. It is toward the bottom of their product page. I cannot tell you the difference...but there may one...you will have to investigate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my TeslaTap 2 months ago when I got my Ipace. Because of the horrible chRger that came with it did a bit of research and actually bought The portable Tesla charger with a Tesla tap. This is simply the best charger for the price. It automatically adapts its amperage and voltage base on current it receives and based in plug adapter you use. Also the adapters (Nema 14-50 / 5-20 etc...) are cheaper Than anything else you’d buy for a ‘regular’ charger. So this has been my only way to charge my car and it’s been simply flawless. Now finishing a 10 day road trip and we used the Tap multiple times when the restaurants / hotels only had a Tesla charger available. It’s just been amazing. Only downside is that it’s not a smart charger (since I don’t have a Tesla) so no bells and whistles and timed charge, etc... Still Tesla travel charger + Tesla Tap (plus any pigtail plugs you need) by far best value/efficiency for the money!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my TeslaTap 2 months ago when I got my Ipace. Because of the horrible chRger that came with it did a bit of research and actually bought The portable Tesla charger with a Tesla tap. This is simply the best charger for the price. It automatically adapts its amperage and voltage base on current it receives and based in plug adapter you use. Also the adapters (Nema 14-50 / 5-20 etc...) are cheaper Than anything else you’d buy for a ‘regular’ charger. So this has been my only way to charge my car and it’s been simply flawless. Now finishing a 10 day road trip and we used the Tap multiple times when the restaurants / hotels only had a Tesla charger available. It’s just been amazing. Only downside is that it’s not a smart charger (since I don’t have a Tesla) so no bells and whistles and timed charge, etc... Still Tesla travel charger + Tesla Tap (plus any pigtail plugs you need) by far best value/efficiency for the money!
Thanks for the testimonial on the TeslaTap. It is good to hear that you did not run into the few Destination Chargers (installation specs) on which it will not work. I have yet to use mine. FYI - I used to use the Tesla Charger that you have (came with my car) when I had an "S". It did work well, but it was charging a smart car...that could limit the amount of "max charge" that it was getting. I desire to keep my I-PACE nightly charge between 60 and 85% unless I am going on a trip. This is to minimize the damage that comes with "max" charging every night. I use a Juicebox (EMotorwerks) Pro 40. It lets me tell it the state of the car's charge in miles or KWH and the Max Charge in miles or KWH that I want it to add. In that way I can say it has 131 miles at the start and to take it to 201 miles, and it will do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am sure there is an easy and simple answer to this, but I seem to have the same reoccurring problem with mine. I purchased one when I bought my I Pace one year ago. At the time, I also had a Tesla, so I used the Tesla cable with the Tap which worked perfectly. No timed charging, as noted above, but it worked. I have a Juicebox at home now, so only use the Tap (rarely) on the road. On those occasions I have tried to use it, the car show "initializing" but never actually charges. I did have it charge once while at a hotel where I left it plugged in for a few days. After a day or so, it did start to charge. Does this have something to do with a pre-conditioning schedue or something? I need help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am no expert on TeslaTap, but the following instructions tell how to sequence the connection to a Tesla Charger is important. They came from the US seller...not the ones in China. This may help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you. The 30 second thing may be the answer.
Whenever I've used the TeslaTap I have never had to wait 30 seconds. I get out plug the Tap into the Tesla destination charger then right into the Jaguar at most 5-10 seconds elapse in the process.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts