Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For fun I went on to the Jaguar Canada site and you are now able to configure a 2021.

What is a little concerning was this pop-up right at the beginning that said:

“BUILD AND PRICE
To locate a vehicle which matches your build preference, please contact your local retailer. Custom orders are available though may take longer to deliver due to a temporary manufacturing pause. Please contact your local Jaguar Authorized Retailer for further details.”

To me this sounds like new 2021s are going to be scarcer than hen’s teeth. I wonder if they are having problems selling through the 2020’s?

·
Registered
103 Posts
For fun I went on to the Jaguar Canada site and you are now able to configure a 2021.

“BUILD AND PRICE
To locate a vehicle which matches your build preference, please contact your local retailer. Custom orders are available though may take longer to deliver due to a temporary manufacturing pause. Please contact your local Jaguar Authorized Retailer for further details.”

To me this sounds like new 2021s are going to be scarcer than hen’s teeth. I wonder if they are having problems selling through the 2020’s?
Interesting, I just tried myself, USA site. Glad I customized mine last year. Pound for pound, best thing on the road

·
Registered
4 Posts
(Newly-registered member here...)

I, too, noticed the message about the pause in production last week on the USA site. I am not sure if it is related, but, from last week until yesterday, there were a number of CPO models at various California dealers and elsewhere. (I sorted based on distance from me in California.). As of today, the closest CPO I-PACE is in New Orleans and only 4 show up in all of the USA. It seems like a fairly large number of CPO units disappeared in the last day or two, though plenty of new units still show up. I am not sure what that would mean, but thought I should share.

·
Registered
33 Posts

“BUILD AND PRICE

I believe that you may be correct. It's worth noting that many Canadian dealers lost their enthusiasm for the I-Pace long ago, and polling a few of those who carried them in 2020 (in the GTA) I've yet to find any that are ordering any 2021s.

So yes, custom ordering may be the only way to get one.

At least the Canadian build 'n price page has been online for a few weeks. It seems that the US build site is still on 2020.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
173 Posts
Likely related to Brexit and all the uncertainty around export tariffs and potential supply chain disruptions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Likely related to Brexit and all the uncertainty around export tariffs and potential supply chain disruptions.
Given that the I-Pace is made in Austria I would imagine that JLR would be more concerned with import tariffs (to the UK). This month Jaguar did lose some production of sedans at its Birmingham (UK) plant due to Covid issues, but I doubt that there would have been an impact on I-Pace production in Graz.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not really surprised at the delay......

Many car manufacturers send cars to the dealers, that have not been specifically ordered, just to give them some stock for the new model year.

I guess only a dealer can check what cars are 'on the water', headed to their dealership.

Also, I believe most of the European manufacturers keep a 'pool' of cars at the docks, that dealers can pull from.

Roger

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
315 Posts
maybe there are a number of US spec cars ready built they want to get rid of before building more? Maybe there are some regulatory issues too around software etc? Are there any other Pivi Pro equipped cars like the new Defender released in the US?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
Yes the new Defender with Pivi Pro is in US/Canada market.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jaguar USA Build and Price is a joke anyway. In summer of 2019 I customized an i-Pace online and had my dealer order it (since, unlike Tesla there is no way to order what you "Build and Price" online). When I got it the price was slightly higher than I expected so I went through item by item, and several of the options on the window sticker were at a higher price than what I was quoted online when I printed out my custom order. It felt a bit like a bait and switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jaguar USA Build and Price is a joke anyway. In summer of 2019 I customized an i-Pace online and had my dealer order it (since, unlike Tesla there is no way to order what you "Build and Price" online). When I got it the price was slightly higher than I expected so I went through item by item, and several of the options on the window sticker were at a higher price than what I was quoted online when I printed out my custom order. It felt a bit like a bait and switch.
I've been looking at in-stock cars on dealer's websites and the "MSRP" quoted by the dealers is usually much higher than what I get if I configure the identical car online, notwithstanding that the online price includes PDI and a substantial "admin fee" for the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
750 Posts
Really strange...I just checked the dealer's inventory where I bought my 2019 and 2020 I-Paces from (Hornburg Jaguar Los Angeles & Santa Monica). Usually their I-Pace inventory ranges from 25-40. It says 0. They have a total of 5 F and E Pace suvs and 31 F Type. No XF, no XE and no left over XJ. I wonder what is happening!!??

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Really strange...I just checked the dealer's inventory where I bought my 2019 and 2020 I-Paces from (Hornburg Jaguar Los Angeles & Santa Monica). Usually their I-Pace inventory ranges from 25-40. It says 0. They have a total of 5 F and E Pace suvs and 31 F Type. No XF, no XE and no left over XJ. I wonder what is happening!!??
Deutsch, I’d like to come up with an optimistic rationale for this that’s both reasonable and realistic, but I can’t. I can come up with pessimistic rationales that are both reasonable & realistic, but it‘s too depressing. 😔

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
750 Posts
Deutsch, I’d like to come up with an optimistic rationale for this that’s both reasonable and realistic, but I can’t. I can come up with pessimistic rationales that are both reasonable & realistic, but it‘s too depressing. 😔
Luckily not far from Hornburg Jaguar Rusnak Pasadena Jaguar has about 20 I-Pace in stock (mainly S trims and a few really nice HSE). Galpin Jaguar, owned by the USA's largest Ford dealer has 0 I-Pace. Mission Viejo has 5 in stock. I too cannot think of any non-pessimistic reasons for no 2021 I-Pace.

It really does stump me, because besides from the Taycan (which is so, so much more $$$ than the I-Pace), the I-Pace is light years better than the Model X or e-Tron. I really wonder if it is due to Jaguar dealer's general incompetence with servicing the I-Pace? Has word got out? If you look at reliability...most Jaguar models are quite reliable!!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
353 Posts
I wouldn't be shocked if Jaguar decided to skip the 2021 model year for the US to help clear out the 2019/2020 models from inventory. Doesn't mean they won't bring the 2022 model to the US, but it isn't promising.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What about these non-depressing explanations:
Worldwide the I-Pace has had its strongest quarter ever in Q4 2020, with nearly 8000 sales. MY21 production sales focused on EU to minimise CO2 penalties (need to sell before year-end).
All production models have just been extensively refreshed, so no new arrivals before inventory is low enough.
Production in UK has been shut down over the year end on account of Brexit and supply chain disruptions.
XJ production has been stopped since summer.
XE has been withdrawn from the US market last year too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts