Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've gone to an empty section of a parking lot just to try out this feature which I suspect I won't actually use...but still. No matter what I do, I can't get it to activate but yet it did work once early on.

So I hit the Park Assist icon in the lower right but the icon to choose parallel or perpendicular parking is grayed out. I'm driving slow enough that the parking detection caption is shown, but it's not seeing the spots (these are perpendicular spots that I'm having it look at). There are tons of empty spots since I'm doing it in an empty area of the parking lot.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
Too much open space. It looks to park between other vehicles. You're on your own in an empty lot. It is probably hoping you're smart enough to park it without assistance when nothing else is around.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Too much open space. It looks to park between other vehicles. You're on your own in an empty lot. It is probably hoping you're smart enough to park it without assistance when nothing else is around.
LOL! So the car is telling me if you’re that hopeless to need my assistance in this empty lot, I give up. 😆

But with that said, should the parallel/perpendicular icon be grayed out? It's #3 that's grayed out.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
With no other vehicles, it can't determine a parallel or perpendicular space. It relies on the sensors (not cameras) to detect spaces. Perpendicular space requires vehicles along the sides of the space, as I understand it.

I'll assume you've pressed the park assist icon sufficiently to switch from parallel to perpendicular.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ayepace, button #1 only turns the system on or off, but it doesn’t select between parallel & perpendicular. So I can turn the system on with #1 and yes, that’s what I did.

The switching function between parallel & perpendicular modes is reserved for button #3 in the screenshot. That’s the one that’s grayed out in my case.

So I can only turn the park assist on or off, but even when it’s on and searching for a spot, I can’t select the type of spot.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ayepace, button #1 only turns the system on or off, but it doesn’t select between parallel & perpendicular. So I can turn the system on with #1 and yes, that’s what I did.

The switching function between parallel & perpendicular modes is reserved for button #3 in the screenshot. That’s the one that’s grayed out in my case.

So I can only turn the park assist on or off, but even when it’s on and searching for a spot, I can’t select the type of spot.
I think the option for perpendicular parking was disabled on either the 19A or 19B update. There was a lot of discussion on the U.K. forum and I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the option for perpendicular parking was disabled on either the 19A or 19B update. There was a lot of discussion on the U.K. forum and I'll see if I can find it.
Ah! There ya go. Now that makes sense. Thanks, Curt.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curt, thanks, but I trust your memory. My loss of the choice between parallel & perpendicular jives with your recollection.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Refer to i-Guide for how to switch. It's in my car.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Refer to i-Guide for how to switch. It's in my car.
I-Guide is where I got the screenshot I showed in my post above. It states that soft key #3 is how you switch between the 2 modes, but as I said mine is grayed out. I’ve tried this repeatedly but that #3 soft key is always grayed out.

So you’re saying your #3 key is not grayed out and you can select between modes with it?

I’ll try it in a more crowded lot to see if that brings the soft key to life.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just tried and was able to parallel park but the car would not unpark itself and like Ken, button #3 is grayed out. I had the iGuide in the car and followed the directions but need to try a parking lot with cars to see if the button becomes active.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Curt, thanks so much for testing that. That confirms there’s nothing wrong with mine and seems to confirm your recollection of the UK forum’s mention this function was removed.

Now the question is was this functionality deliberately or accidentally removed In a firmware update?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Curt, thanks so much for testing that. That confirms there’s nothing wrong with mine and seems to confirm your recollection of the UK forum’s mention this function was removed.

Now the question is was this functionality deliberately or accidentally removed In a firmware update?
Let me test it in a parking lot. The car might be smart enough to recognize that it's not a perpendicular parking situation and makes the button #3 unavailable.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curt, mine was a perpendicular parking experiment that still had the grayed out switch. So maybe there are 3 possibilities:
1- As you say, the car may be smart enough to realize the situation (parallel or perpendicular) and doesn’t need to give you the option.
2- As Ayepace said, the car needs to see other cars for the system to work properly. My lot was empty.
3- The functionality has actually been removed for some reason.

I may be missing other possibilities.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts