Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All faults recorded but what % of all cars do they represent?
What is probability of my car having same issues?
Quite content but need reassurance

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
306 Posts
I think the answer may depend on the MY most of those who seem happiest appear to have the older cars which may have had their faults earlier and now mainly resolved.

For MY21 all seem to have some issues but maybe some more than others. I have found the level of faults and (lack of) resolution service to be utterly unacceptable for an £82k car.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a good statistical repository anywhere. I do think you're going to find issues online, as well as lovers of the car.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the answer may depend on the MY most of those who seem happiest appear to have the older cars which may have had their faults earlier and now mainly resolved.

For MY21 all seem to have some issues but maybe some more than others. I have found the level of faults and (lack of) resolution service to be utterly unacceptable for an £82k car.
Yes it seems that JLR are not fully in control and worse that their dealers are inadequately briefed.
Hence issues become exaggerated
Given the future plans of JLR they need with urgency to resolve these points for their reputation
So hold on and hope seems the right policy

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
306 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a good statistical repository anywhere. I do think you're going to find issues online, as well as lovers of the car.
The problem even with external objective reliability surveys is response numbers which may be too low to draw meaningful conclusions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes it seems that JLR are not fully in control and worse that their dealers are inadequately briefed.
Hence issues become exaggerated
Given the future plans of JLR they need with urgency to resolve these points for their reputation
So hold on and hope seems the right policy
To be fair all dealers (apart it seems from Tesla) are third party companies so no manufacturer has complete control but you would expect dealers to be stripped of franchises for inadequate technician or loan car stock, or half arsed attempts at problem resolution.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be fair all dealers (apart it seems from Tesla) are third party companies so no manufacturer has complete control but you would expect dealers to be stripped of franchises for inadequate technician or loan car stock, or half arsed attempts at problem resolution.
2 day service advisory but not a 'Call In' but no loan car available from April until August
purchased March 18 car in March 21 (ex JLR owned)
Issue is European tour planned with 450 mile outward journey to our second home with charge points
and to be booked as soon as virus rules allow
How are these risks to be balanced with little precise information from dealer
and nothing in print

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
2 day service advisory but not a 'Call In' but no loan car available from April until August
purchased March 18 car in March 21 (ex JLR owned)
Issue is European tour planned with 450 mile outward journey to our second home with charge points
and to be booked as soon as virus rules allow
How are these risks to be balanced with little precise information from dealer
and nothing in print
Not sure I understand the question this thread is focused on. Cars breakdown. Sometimes predictably after poor maintenance, othertimes with no warning or reason. Over 40yrs of driving I've had cars breakdown while on vacation due to tire blowouts, transmission issues, big end failure, EV chargeport breakage and other minor issues. All major issues have resulted in a rental to finish the vacation.
The time to worry about reliability is before purchase, not while kitty is on your driveway. Having bought your I-Pace drive it. It's under warranty.
In addition (without trying to seem rude), you just bought a $80k vehicle and are driving to a "second home". I'm sure in the low likelihood of a major incident happening, you can afford the cost of a rental to complete an enjoyable vacation. Enjoy life and quit worrying.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure I understand the question this thread is focused on. Cars breakdown. Sometimes predictably after poor maintenance, othertimes with no warning or reason. Over 40yrs of driving I've had cars breakdown while on vacation due to tire blowouts, transmission issues, big end failure, EV chargeport breakage and other minor issues. All major issues have resulted in a rental to finish the vacation.
The time to worry about reliability is before purchase, not while kitty is on your driveway. Having bought your I-Pace drive it. It's under warranty.
In addition (without trying to seem rude), you just bought a $80k vehicle and are driving to a "second home". I'm sure in the low likelihood of a major incident happening, you can afford the cost of a rental to complete an enjoyable vacation. Enjoy life and quit worrying.
Agree its a bit late after making the purchase but I think its also true that you don't really understand the quality of dealers with a "new to you" brand until you experience it yourself first hand and you don't do that until after purchase. It is the poor after sales support that is the big problem I think and what the OP seems to be experiencing too.

In the UK some dealers seem to have terrible problems with a) quality of resolution and b) courtesy car availability neither of which is helped by a warranty either new or used warranty.

My AC has not worked effectively since May (and arguably has never worked effectively as I have only noticed it not working as the weather here got warmer). I waited 5 weeks for an ineffective fix that really did not solve the issue (and that had no replacement car while mine was in) and am waiting a further 6 weeks to have it looked at again. By the time it is fixed (if it is) summer here will be over and I don't think it's reasonable to have to hire a car for the entire summer because the AC on your brand new car does not work! If this was fixed quickly and with minimal inconvenience that would be fine but in my experience it just isn't.

It does seem like the older cars issues have largely been shaken out though so maybe its just the car that is better to buy used?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IT is not rude to support those that achieved success by attending to detail. With a car of this value and with a wife both in our 80s it is the hassle to be avoided not the cost - so seek minimum risk. Full chargers installed at both homes 450 miles apart.
Issue is not warranty but service recommendation from JLR

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
IT is not rude to support those that achieved success by attending to detail. With a car of this value and with a wife both in our 80s it is the hassle to be avoided not the cost - so seek minimum risk. Full chargers installed at both homes 450 miles apart.
Issue is not warranty but service recommendation from JLR
No offense intended. I was just suggesting that if you bought the car to drive and enjoy, then that should outweigh any concerns about convenience and hassle. Drive and enjoy - life is too short for any other approach (especially in your 80's).
Early adopters of new tech such as the I-Pace should be aware of having to deal with some hassles. I've driven up to Montreal (480miles each way) with my kitty. No issues. Would I drive an out of warranty Morgan roadster, or any exotic, on that route? No way. Parts availability and lack of experienced servicing would be too much of a concern for me.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The risk is not the car itself which can be repaired but the potential additional virus contacts in the event of any reliability issue occurring. Aged 80+ and recently shielding it is this compounding that is being evaluated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would add too that most faults I have with my car or I have seen others report have absolutely nothing to do with it being an EV.

AC issues and infotainment and control system issues (in kit used across 6 other conventional fuel models) seem to account for most of the problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll make a few observations ...

EVs in general are more prone to "infant mortality" than ICE cars (i.e., major problems occur early as opposed to problems that arise due to wear and tear). So once you get the car sorted, I think it can deliver decent reliability and the most important part (traction battery) is not overstressed and covered by a good warranty.

It does seem like the early versions are faring better. Outside of the fix for the H288 wiring harness issue, there isn't anything on the new models that interest me. Perhaps it's just because we've pushed through the all of those early failures.

For this brand, there seems to be a huge variance in the quality of dealers. I've never "loved" a car dealer (either sales or service), but some are much better than others. So far, I've got a pretty good one to the point I would take my wife's Velar there instead of the RR dealer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would add too that most faults I have with my car or I have seen others report have absolutely nothing to do with it being an EV.

AC issues and infotainment and control system issues (in kit used across 6 other conventional fuel models) seem to account for most of the problems.
In my case, the only unscheduled repair was related to the EAS which is shared with all RR models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2019 First Edition bought new exactly two years ago and driven about 28,000km in that time, never had any problem at all other than range anxiety. Honestly you most likely have nothing to worry about.

I’m guessing your 450 miles is either to France or to Germany, unless you have a really long journey in the UK to get to a port or the eurotunnel. Germany is really well supplied with fast chargers, so no worries there or on your way through Belgium and the Netherlands.

As someone with a second home 300km/200 miles away in France, it’s another story if your second home is in France. French towns and tiny villages are fantastically well supplied with chargers, not super chargers but the sort of thing that will give you another 15% over a lazy lunch or a shopping session. French motorways are appallingly badly supplied with fast chargers, or indeed any chargers. It’s a disgrace. Plan carefully, as it seems you do, and you will be fine, but don’t imagine you can stop just once in your 450 miles - stop wherever there is a fast charger because there are so few. Oh, and the route planner in your car will try to take you off the motorway to charge because thère app hasn’t registered any chargers on the motorway. Use the Ionity or Chargepoint or your preferred app to plan your charging and the onboard map for your overall route.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2019 First Edition bought new exactly two years ago and driven about 28,000km in that time, never had any problem at all other than range anxiety. Honestly you most likely have nothing to worry about.

I’m guessing your 450 miles is either to France or to Germany, unless you have a really long journey in the UK to get to a port or the eurotunnel. Germany is really well supplied with fast chargers, so no worries there or on your way through Belgium and the Netherlands.

As someone with a second home 300km/200 miles away in France, it’s another story if your second home is in France. French towns and tiny villages are fantastically well supplied with chargers, not super chargers but the sort of thing that will give you another 15% over a lazy lunch or a shopping session. French motorways are appallingly badly supplied with fast chargers, or indeed any chargers. It’s a disgrace. Plan carefully, as it seems you do, and you will be fine, but don’t imagine you can stop just once in your 450 miles - stop wherever there is a fast charger because there are so few. Oh, and the route planner in your car will try to take you off the motorway to charge because thère app hasn’t registered any chargers on the motorway. Use the Ionity or Chargepoint or your preferred app to plan your charging and the onboard map for your overall route.
Thank you. Fits my position well. Inland by 30km from Royan on west coast
Fast charges at Portsmouth before ferry and at Montaigue Vendee south of Nantes
looks best option for 3 runs of 2 1/2 hours and 2 fast charges of 3/4 hour
giving 9 hour total on road and overnight Portsmouth to St Malo on ferry
Both omes already fitted with charge points

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you. Fits my position well. Inland by 30km from Royan on west coast
Fast charges at Portsmouth before ferry and at Montaigue Vendee south of Nantes
looks best option for 3 runs of 2 1/2 hours and 2 fast charges of 3/4 hour
giving 9 hour total on road and overnight Portsmouth to St Malo on ferry
Both omes already fitted with charge points
Just in case, I would find a fast charge option at about 2 hours/200kms as you won’t know how your car responds to long motorway journeys in high temperatures until you try it. And if there’s any congestion, that will also take its toll.
Bon voyage!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts