Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my I-pace and have no interest in driving any other cars. However, as we all know the infrastructure for EV's is not quite there yet and its still necessary to have an ICE car at home. Since I clearly share a taste for cars with you all, was curious what ICE car you would have (or do have) as your other car? I have little kids so need 4 doors and reasonably sized trunk. Any thoughts? Thinking same price range as an I-Pace or below.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am rather partial to Audi’s for sporty ICE sedans, depending on size a5 or a6 or SQ5? Specially Quattro if you have winter conditions. Perfect balance of comfort, sport driving, luxury and detail.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have a Mercedes GLE and love it, perfect for our family of 4 (2 small kids).
Lease on our 2017 is up and we’re going to get one of the new 2020s with the third row option. MB has really stepped up its game since the 2017s, interior is much nicer, as is the infotainment (which is much better than Jaguar’s). Can’t recommend it enough.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Big trucks are nice. The Rams are especially nice. We have one with air suspension. If I were to get a crossover/SUV ICE, I'd get a GLE or X5. GLC and X3 are just a bit too small for comfort. The new GLE may eventually ship with the magic suspension. That'll be a heck of a ride.

In sedans, the 550i, GS-F, and E53.

We bought the Ipace because leases were bad and because, well, we plan on keeping it for a long time. Like at least 7 years. Hopefully longer. For these sedans, though, I'd consider leasing. They drop in price terribly, and they fall apart outside of warranty.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have my 911 and my wife's Volvo XC90 for ICE cars around the house. They do the trick!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like my 16 Range Rover with TD6 engine. Can't complain about 30-33 mpg on highway with AC in summer. I've also done 700 miles between feedings, but usually closer to the mid-600s for those highway trips.

Beats all Teslas for range and "recharges" a lot faster. :wink2:

I know newer RRs have some feature improvements too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
And useful.
Heh. I loaded 8 12x2x16' boards onto the truck. No ladder rack, but I have an extension that goes into the hitch. That plus a 6'4" bed means I can legally load up to almost 20 feet of material, and I'll fudge the last few inches. Each of those boards is about 70 lbs, but hanging off the back like that, the weight is way rearward. So the air suspension whirred and I was just peachy. Gotta have a truck sometimes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our long-range ICE car is a Porsche Cayenne diesel...yes the one with the "scandalous" VW dieselgate engine. It's really a shame that VW tried to game the system with that engine and ruined the entire diesel market, because that engine really is a nice combination with the Cayenne. Lots of torque, better than 30 MPG on the highway and 700 miles of range between fuel stops. Just crossed 100K miles with it and the car is just like new. We will drive it until the wheels fall off and then probably replace it with a Cayenne plug in hybrid or something like it.

We also have a Ford F250 diesel for hauling around stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,971 Posts
Our long-range ICE car is a Porsche Cayenne diesel...yes the one with the "scandalous" VW dieselgate engine. It's really a shame that VW tried to game the system with that engine and ruined the entire diesel market, because that engine really is a nice combination with the Cayenne. Lots of torque, better than 30 MPG on the highway and 700 miles of range between fuel stops. Just crossed 100K miles with it and the car is just like new. We will drive it until the wheels fall off and then probably replace it with a Cayenne plug in hybrid or something like it.

We also have a Ford F250 diesel for hauling around stuff.
I love the Cayenne diesel! I have a Touareg and wish it were a diesel.

So there you have it. We just took the Touareg (first model year, almost 140,000 miles) to Montana (1200 miles one way) into a remote corner of Glacier NP. Could not have done it with the i-Pace, plus I needed to haul a bunch of camping gear that wouldn't have fit into the i-Pace.

Soooo ... implicit in this anecdote is my answer to your question. I love the i-Pace for California (maybe Oregon, but we haven't ventured there yet in it); and for commuting. As the backup ICE car I need a long-distance comfortable and capable SUV. I've had the Touareg for 15 years. It used to be our only larger vehicle. Now it's only used for the occasional long trip or when large items have to be hauled (such as our tandem). Still kicks a$$ especially with the mud tires on >:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh..... my...... God......

EV owners drive pickup trucks? I thought they were mortal enemies.

Just kidding, but after seeing so many truck paranoia threads around the EV sites...... We are after all ruining the planet. We've even been accused of supporting the NRA. Full disclosure: I'm a member of the NRA, GOA and SAF. I guess I fit the stereotype, somewhat.

See you on the gun forums!!! >:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
My next vehicle will be the ford ranger raptor (if/when it comes to the states) or the Rivian truck, probably decided by whichever one is available to me first!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the Cayenne diesel! I have a Touareg and wish it were a diesel.

My 2011 Touareg TDI was bought back by VW and sent, as far as I know, to the great crusher on the sky:nerd:

I took the $53k buy-back check--paid $55k new--and trundled over to the Audi store to buy a fully loaded 2019 Q7 Prestige, basically and A8 on stilts. Great hwy vehicle, and adequate off road. Miss the TReg though...

I-pace is wifey's DD. She'll never have to recharge it outside our garage, and we are lucky to have a virtually flawless version.

My DD is a 911/991.1, factory delivered in Zuffenhausen. Project car is a 1991 NSX; I'm the original owner.

Spyder

·
Registered
966 Posts

Just kidding, but after seeing so many truck paranoia threads around the EV sites...... We are after all ruining the planet. We've even been accused of supporting the NRA. Full disclosure: I'm a member of the NRA, GOA and SAF. I guess I fit the stereotype, somewhat.

I'd reconsider the NRA membership. Their leadership is utterly corrupt, lining their own pockets with membership money. If anything, they fight gun safety by fighting development of safer guns and gun laws. Don't know anything about GOA or SAF.

And I'm a gun owner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2011 Touareg TDI was bought back by VW and sent, as far as I know, to the great crusher on the sky:nerd:

I took the $53k buy-back check--paid $55k new--and trundled over to the Audi store to buy a fully loaded 2019 Q7 Prestige, basically and A8 on stilts. Great hwy vehicle, and adequate off road. Miss the TReg though...

I-pace is wifey's DD. She'll never have to recharge it outside our garage, and we are lucky to have a virtually flawless version.

My DD is a 911/991.1, factory delivered in Zuffenhausen. Project car is a 1991 NSX; I'm the original owner.

Spyder
We took the VW compensation (about $9K) and kept the car. We loved it too much to send it to the crusher!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

I've had a pickup and/or a heavy cargo van continuously for 41 years.

I'm very cautious about the EV priests. That is, those who treat EVs as a religion, spend a lot of time proselytizing, or claim their God(s) will send ICE owners to Hades. The core of their belief system is the removal of personal choice, and removing cars from those who are not wealthy. I'm too liberal to accept that much government control. I understand their enthusiasm, and they mean well, but their lack of compassion for the poor, and misunderstanding of life outside urban areas is dangerous and immoral.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The core of their belief system is the removal of personal choice, and removing cars from those who are not wealthy.
You don't say. I hadn't noticed their intolerance of anything they don't do or want. <sarcasm>

I'm too liberal to accept that much government control. I understand their enthusiasm, and they mean well, but their lack of compassion for the poor, and misunderstanding of life outside urban areas is dangerous and immoral.
You must mean 'liberal' in the former traditional use of the term. It has a very different meaning today. I was a 'liberal' once. Then I grew up, but I still don't believe in regressive policies.

Our gas tax was just doubled here, along with every other car related tax or fee. Who did they hurt? I can afford it.

And they claim to be working for the poorer folks....... <more sarcasm>

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You don't say. I hadn't noticed their intolerance of anything they don't do or want. <sarcasm>

You must mean 'liberal' in the former traditional use of the term. It has a very different meaning today. I was a 'liberal' once. Then I grew up, but I still don't believe in regressive policies.

Our gas tax was just doubled here, along with every other car related tax or fee. Who did they hurt? I can afford it.

And they claim to be working for the poorer folks....... <more sarcasm>
Electromotive propulsion is a premium driving experience. Both in quality and price. This will change someday, but not today.

I get a chuckle out of Musk claiming he pays under $200 a kWh for batteries. In 2018 that is! Then Tesla is certainly rich today. They charge ~$400 kWh for the Powerwall batteries. And a Model S 75 is $10,000 more with a 100 kWh battery, or SURPRISE! $400 a kWh in July 2019.

Now you see the problem with Model 3 and the red ink. If it's a 75kWh battery that's $30,000. So of course they need more than $50k a car to break even. Making more of them, especially <$40k cars, is going to hurt, not help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts