Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
2,771 Posts
Woohoo, congrats!

While the car is at the dealer have them do a full battery checkup. It will probably cost a couple hundred bucks but here's the thing: If you have a bad battery you can give the car back during your 7-day window. You want to find out right now, not later. Hopefully it will be good, but with used I-Paces it's really important to check.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Woohoo, congrats!

While the car is at the dealer have them do a full battery checkup. It will probably cost a couple hundred bucks but here's the thing: If you have a bad battery you can give the car back during your 7-day window. You want to find out right now, not later. Hopefully it will be good, but with used I-Paces it's really important to check.
oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder. Im pretty sure the service guy who took the car in was clueless. I said I also brought it in for a used car inspection. He assured me that every car gets a thorough inspection. I asked what the plan was for the battery inspection. He stared at me… :oops:

So at that point I mentioned about a battery state of health report. He started looking into something in his computer and said he would have their I pace tech do a battery inspection.

😬

Should I ask for something more specific? From what I gather the SoH is useful but really can’t detect a lot of battery issues so doesn’t guarantee anything either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Also. I have been on the phone with Carvana and Silverock. Whatever isn’t covered under warranty should be covered by them. While the car is at the dealer, that time doesn’t count towards my 7 day trial period.

·
Administrator
2,771 Posts
Should I ask for something more specific? From what I gather the SoH is useful but really can’t detect a lot of battery issues so doesn’t guarantee anything either.
Make sure it lists the SoH of all 36 modules, which they call 'cells'. Just a couple of cells at 80% SoH could be bad news, even if the average SoH is 95%; in which case I would do a charge/discharge test to estimate the approximate battery capacity.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,396 Posts
"wasn't closing the frunk hard enough" - Mention this to the dealer. There was a recall for the frunk latch and cable. That recall needs to be done if it wasn't or the latch needs to be repositioned. It shouldn't be hard to close. In fact, the dealer should check for any outstanding recalls. There were not many but they should be done.

They should also check for outstanding software updates and enabling SOTA for the infotainment and TCU updates (if not already done).

The next buyer of the car (if you return it) will be thankful for these actions. I hope you decide to enjoy it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
"wasn't closing the frunk hard enough" - Mention this to the dealer. There was a recall for the frunk latch and cable. That recall needs to be done if it wasn't or the latch needs to be repositioned. It shouldn't be hard to close. In fact, the dealer should check for any outstanding recalls. There were not many but they should be done.

They should also check for outstanding software updates and enabling SOTA for the infotainment and TCU updates (if not already done).

The next buyer of the car (if you return it) will be thankful for these actions. I hope you decide to enjoy it.
Ayepace, how do you know so much? You seem to know every little quirk and oddity to these cars. You are truly an enthusiast and are always ready to lend a hand to all members new and old. I sort of think of you as Zeus sitting high atop Mount Olympus surveying your realm ready to restore order and help us lesser mortals in times of need. May your cup never run empty sir.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I’ll mention this to the dealer. He showed me the info page he had for my car and there were no outstanding recalls. There were some numbers and codes listed as done. This was an early model from Dec 2018 and was serviced regularly at the dealer. Some early services which seem like infotainment issues and updates for most 2019 models. Assuming they say there is no recall, was it an easy fix like some lubricant or WD40 as needed?

I thought I shouldn’t have to ask for updated software. Lol. The car was giving me an update option but I never got around to connecting it to wifi.

Its looking like the only real issue with the car is the windshield. I would keep it if that was the only issue and it can be fixed. My understanding is that batteries are under warranty. So even if there is something wrong with it it should be fixed by JLR. Are there any outstanding major issues or failures to look out for that wouldn’t be covered under warranty? I searched and didn’t find anything major (other than not having your car for a month).

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
The latch recall required replacing the latch and possibly the manual release cable (depending on inspection). There's at least one member here that had trouble closing the frunk post recall and the dealer fixed it.

Latch position makes a big difference on closing/opening effort for any car. It doesn't have to be off by much (a small fraction of an inch) to cause a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So got a call from the dealer. They said the windshield was loose and needs to be replaced. It is covered under warranty :) but they have to order the windshield and it’s going to take a week.:cry:

They said the parking sensors sensors are working fine. I suspect the “Automatic PDC On” is not checked under parking aid settings. That would explain why the sensors don’t automatically turn on when I slow down.

so have to wait a week to get the car back. Is this typical for JLR dealers? I thought it was just Porsche that made you wait. Haha.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
787 Posts
So got a call from the dealer. They said the windshield was loose and needs to be replaced. It is covered under warranty :) but they have to order the windshield and it’s going to take a week.:cry:

They said the parking sensors sensors are working fine. I suspect the “Automatic PDC On” is not checked under parking aid settings. That would explain why the sensors don’t automatically turn on when I slow down.

so have to wait a week to get the car back. Is this typical for JLR dealers? I thought it was just Porsche that made you wait. Haha.
I would want to know WHY the windshield was "loose". A leak, yes. Loose, no. Has it been previously replaced? If so, why and by who?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I asked about that and they said there is no way to tell. My understanding is that windshields are easy to replace, so it could’ve happened anywhere and not show up on the Carfax.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Did the leak cause other stuff to get soaked and be a potential for mold? You'll nose ;) about that in the future if not investigated now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Did the leak cause other stuff to get soaked and be a potential for mold? You'll nose ;) about that in the future if not investigated now.
Definitely!

and check all the wiring and buttons in the overhead compartment for water damage. In this case I’m glad it doesn’t have a sunroof. If it did I would prolly send it back. Don’t want to deal with potential water damage in a sun roof.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There have been quite a few reports of leaking windshields, mostly with 2018 build dates. Sounds like most of the other issues are ironed out. You may or may not find a vehicle in better condition. Since you are in the US, you have bumper to bumper warranty until 50k, you might want to consider extending that if you keep it. Just in case.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
787 Posts
Definitely!

and check all the wiring and buttons in the overhead compartment for water damage. In this case I’m glad it doesn’t have a sunroof. If it did I would prolly send it back. Don’t want to deal with potential water damage in a sun roof.
I had an '89 T-Bird with a leaky sunroof. Yes, when cornering I occasionally got a few drips on the top of the head, but the bigger issue is where the water went. In my case it found its way into the spare tire well in the trunk - trunk was dry, spare tire sitting in 2-3" of water. Got it fixed and no problems. If water had gone other places it would have been anybody's guess as to what electronics were corroded or fried. I've learnt to never trust a water leak - the water could end up in the most unexpected places.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I had an '89 T-Bird with a leaky sunroof. Yes, when cornering I occasionally got a few drips on the top of the head, but the bigger issue is where the water went. In my case it found its way into the spare tire well in the trunk - trunk was dry, spare tire sitting in 2-3" of water. Got it fixed and no problems. If water had gone other places it would have been anybody's guess as to what electronics were corroded or fried. I've learnt to never trust a water leak - the water could end up in the most unexpected places.
Scary!
Is this a bigger deal than I realize? Should I just send the car back since I still have the opportunity?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts