Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
857 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys. Learned a lot while waiting for the car

So the car arrived only 1 day late. It came at night so right away I noticed the interior. Loved the ambient lights. Nice a bright. (I learned later that they were on full). It looked like I thought. No surprises there. Carvana gives you a two minute test drive before taking the vehicle. While on the test drive I noticed that there was a whistling/kazoo sound (quite loud and irritating) coming in from highway speeds. I also noticed that the HUD was blurry. I noticed Carvana of these two issues and they agreed to have them fixed if possible.

I learned after driving it later that it appears to be a leak around the windshield. When I placed duct tape over the top of the front windshield it went away. Then when driving it I noticed there was water coming from the overhead compartment. We opened up the sunglasses holder to see that it was wet and then noticed water dripping from the two holes near the lights. So yeah, I guess more than air got in.

Called Carvana and they had me take it to the dealer and said that the time it was at the dealer would not count towards the 7 day trial. So I took it in today. The dealer wasn’t very helpful but said that since it’s an I pace they only have one I pace tech and they think it’s going to be about a week.

Overall though I love the car! Great acceleration. It’s strange but I find eco or dynamic the best. I don’t like the suspension in comfort. To bumpy without the other benefits for me.

I also noticed that the parking sensors don’t seem to turn on. I turn them on at the begiing of the ride and then the orange light goes away while driving. When I pull in to park the sensors don’t activate and I have to manually activate them again.

I want my next car to be an I pace! Just don’t know if it’s this one. Let’s hope the dealer doesn’t find anything serious. Wife loves the car but already says it’s going back when we get it back from the dealer, says it’s too many issues at the beginning for a 2019 car.
None of this sounds like a glowing endorsement of buying thru Carvana, or any other online site for that matter.

The windshield issue sounds like a shoddy replacement job - for whatever reason. With water getting into the area around the windshield there is no knowing what water damage is present, or will be apparent in the future.

I may be highly conservative, but a car as complex as the I-Pace should be thoroughly inspected, test driven and evaluated in person before any money exchange, and in the case of a used vehicle I would want to know the complete history of the car.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
857 Posts
So got a call from the dealer. They said the windshield was loose and needs to be replaced. It is covered under warranty :) but they have to order the windshield and it’s going to take a week.:cry:

They said the parking sensors sensors are working fine. I suspect the “Automatic PDC On” is not checked under parking aid settings. That would explain why the sensors don’t automatically turn on when I slow down.

so have to wait a week to get the car back. Is this typical for JLR dealers? I thought it was just Porsche that made you wait. Haha.
I would want to know WHY the windshield was "loose". A leak, yes. Loose, no. Has it been previously replaced? If so, why and by who?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
857 Posts
Definitely!

and check all the wiring and buttons in the overhead compartment for water damage. In this case I’m glad it doesn’t have a sunroof. If it did I would prolly send it back. Don’t want to deal with potential water damage in a sun roof.
I had an '89 T-Bird with a leaky sunroof. Yes, when cornering I occasionally got a few drips on the top of the head, but the bigger issue is where the water went. In my case it found its way into the spare tire well in the trunk - trunk was dry, spare tire sitting in 2-3" of water. Got it fixed and no problems. If water had gone other places it would have been anybody's guess as to what electronics were corroded or fried. I've learnt to never trust a water leak - the water could end up in the most unexpected places.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
857 Posts
So an update on the vehicle. The windshield is fixed but the HUD still doesn’t work. The tech says that the frunk is a little off too (hence the closing issue). He thinks it has been in a significant accident that wasn’t reported to carfax. They are covering the repairs under warranty but the tech himself recommended I return it. Said this isn’t the I pace to have.

So after all this it’s going back! Working to the details of the return with Carvana. I had all the phone calls documented in their system and they agreed to accept the return. They are deciding whether to just have JLR fix and then return it or just return it as is.

Carvana is going to come pick up the vehicle once they decide what to do with it. They offered me the option to drop it off a one of their car vending machines. That sounded cool but I didn’t know how to get home so asked them just come pick it up.

so the search continues…
Something about the windshield didn't seem right.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
857 Posts
Yeah. Was trying not to get excited but ended up getting attached anyways. Lol
Possibly a few cars coming off 3yr leases this coming year. Keep looking. The experience you've just had will be invaluable with any that you find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts