Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out the ideal solution to charge up our I-Pace without investing in expensive and possibly unnecessary installations. So far I am using public fast chargers and go to max 80% then pull the plug and its usually enough for around 1 week. Once the winter weather here disappears we will be going on longer trips and will want full range, hence getting close to 100% will be wished. There are of course many options out there but here in Norway installing a proper wall box with all of the regulations and installation costs will be around USD2500-3000
The I-Pace is fitted with a 7 kW on-board charger for Type 2 AC charging which theoretically should get you from 0-100% in 13hours, but im basically looking for an efficient and safe solution to get the last 20% charge and could possibly get through with a simple wall socket charge as well as that is of course readily available. Using a normal wall socket is too unsafe however, but there are mobile charging boxes/adapters that can be purchased to make it safe, like visible here:
https://www.juice-technology.co/juice-booster
https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/juice-booster-2-22kw.html
This one seems to be a Europe only product, but im sure there is similar stuff in the states.
Anyone have any experience or advice?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Im trying to figure out the ideal solution to charge up our I-Pace without investing in expensive and possibly unnecessary installations. So far I am using public fast chargers and go to max 80% then pull the plug and its usually enough for around 1 week. Once the winter weather here disappears we will be going on longer trips and will want full range, hence getting close to 100% will be wished. There are of course many options out there but here in Norway installing a proper wall box with all of the regulations and installation costs will be around USD2500-3000
The I-Pace is fitted with a 7 kW on-board charger for Type 2 AC charging which theoretically should get you from 0-100% in 13hours, but im basically looking for an efficient and safe solution to get the last 20% charge and could possibly get through with a simple wall socket charge as well as that is of course readily available. Using a normal wall socket is too unsafe however, but there are mobile charging boxes/adapters that can be purchased to make it safe, like visible here:
https://www.juice-technology.co/juice-booster
https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/juice-booster-2-22kw.html
This one seems to be a Europe only product, but im sure there is similar stuff in the states.
Anyone have any experience or advice?
If Norway is a nominal 220 volts, and the included charger is 10 amps (read the back of it), you can add about 2 kWh per hour, or 24 kWh in 12h, assuming 2.5mi/kWh, or over 90 km each night. Unless you drive >90 km every day, the battery will eventually fill up completely.

You rarely arrive home with <10%, and the last 5% of charging takes longer. So Level 2 charging is not really taking 13h in real life situations. Normally you are over 90% in under 10 hours.

With household outlets, your limit is amps. Find out what the wiring and breaker is limited at, then multiply by 0.80 (safety factor). Say you have a 15 amp breaker going to a 15 amp 220vac outlet. You can safety use a charger that is 220v x 12 amps. That might be fast enough for you.

Reactions: epirali and phila

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I forgot all about that socket charger that Jaguar includes with the I-Pace. Anyone know if that charger has some sort of safety features in it that will stop the sockets from potentially burning up?

·
Registered
40 Posts
One more thing to think about. The battery is pre-set by Jaguar with buffers at either end and from what I recall the total available energy is something like 84.4kwh on the 90kwh total. I am not very good at maths but that means that a 100% top-up at your home or a street charger isn't really 100% at all, and my dealer was adamant that there is absolutely no reason not to keep charging up to 100% on your app if you feel like it. As he put it, why would Jaguar guarantee the battery for 8 years if it was going to experience a massive fall off on efficiency if people regularly topped it up all the way?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think most EVs have a buffer which never fully allows the battery to be charged to 100%. But the console will state 100% / Fully Charged. There is some great youtube stuff all about charging EVs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts