Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Please help me, as I am new.

I was at a ccs charger that allows a max of 150kwh.

First day it charged at an average rate of 50kwh.

Second time I went, it charged at an average rate of 20kwh.

I am getting nowhere near the max kwh allowed by the charger. Not to mention, charging at 20kwh seems slow at a ccs?

Do I need a software update? She's weather impact this?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

Here is a charging curve showing the iPace charging rates by %SOC - under optimal conditions. The iPace max charging rate is about 107kw - I have hit it a couple times. Above 80% SOC, the charging rates plummet.
Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and Welcome!

What was the starting percentage battery when you plugged in, on the first day and the second time? And how cold was it?
First time: 20°f and 28% battery level. Second time: 34°f and 45% battery level. Thank you I'm advance!
Hello and Welcome!

What was the starting percentage battery when you plugged in, on the first day and the second time? And how cold was it?
First time: 20°f and 28% battery level. Second time: 34°f and 45% battery level. Thank you I'm advance!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
If you parked your car outside in 20F or 34F overnight, drove a short distance to the charger, it will charge at a low rate.
The battery is too cold to charge at a higher rate.

I've parked the car in the garage where it got down to 40F, drove it in subfreezing weather 30 miles, stopped at a DCFC with about 20% SOC and it started charging at 17kW, slowly ramping up to about 30kW by 80% and then dropped off (as usual) as it approached 100%. I suspect that rather than getting the battery warmer in that 30 miles, the battery actually cooled more due to the cold weather.

There are numerous threads here about charging and impacts of temperature.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Cold means slow charging. This is not I-Pace specific. It happens to all EVs. If you set a departure time, the car should heat up, but I'm not sure it will do this if not plugged in.

·
Registered
MY21 HSE, Portofino Blue, pano roof
4 Posts
If you set a departure time, the car should heat up, but I'm not sure it will do this if not plugged in.
In my experience it will not heat the battery without plug power, only the cabin. And even this only if the battery is above a certain SOC (still to be determined - no heat below ~30% SOC).

(edit) As a side note: on a DC charger, with the car shut down - as in 'leave the car and shut the doors and do not set a departure time' - the on-board heater WILL heat the battery in parallel to charging. In my experience at ambient temperatures around freezing this will result in battery temperatures of around 28°C after 30 minutes of charging. This helps to raise/keep the charging power after some time.

·
Registered
I-Pace HSE Black, Guilia Quadrifoglio, Stelvio Quadrifoglio
3 Posts
Hello everyone. Please help me, as I am new.

I was at a ccs charger that allows a max of 150kwh.

First day it charged at an average rate of 50kwh.

Second time I went, it charged at an average rate of 20kwh.

I am getting nowhere near the max kwh allowed by the charger. Not to mention, charging at 20kwh seems slow at a ccs?

Do I need a software update? She's weather impact this?

Thank you!!
I feel that charging on CCS 50kW charger, the fastest we have available locally, is inordinately slow from memory with the app showing a gain of 18miles/hr compared with the 13 miles per hour I see at home on 7kW charger. Calculating kW charged a few months ago against time to charge, I think from recollection it was of the order of 20 kW per hour, that said battery was generally circa 75pc charged.

·
Registered
MY21 HSE, Portofino Blue, pano roof
4 Posts
... with the app showing a gain of 18miles/hr compared with the 13 miles per hour I see at home on 7kW charger ...
I once compared numbers from the app, what TorquePro says using OBD2, and the indications on a 50kW DC fast charger on my MY21 HSE with PiviPro 3.0. Fast charger and TorquePro indicated almost identical currents, voltages and power at any moment over the whole charging period.

Both the %SOC/h and km/h of the app were totally wrong to the point where rising numbers in the app met falling numbers on TorquePro and vice versa. In other words these indications in the app are not only misleading but utterly wrong and useless, unfortunately. I have no idea what JLR is measuring here, but certainly nothing that has anything to do with battery charging!

More reliable in the app (and on the dashboard) are total SOC and, to a lesser degree, total kilometers or miles available. You could obviously calculate average SOC/h or km/h from this if you are waiting long enough ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts