Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here are images from the health report they gave me yesterday in case it helps. They only provided the report for one of the 12v batteries but I wasn't worried about those. (Note that these are screenshots of a scrolled report from their equipment, when I was cross-checking the numbers I posted earlier I kept coming up with one too many until I realized the screenshots had cell 25 repeated ).
Thanks. My battery health report printout is same as yours expect in places of xx% mine have 11.3v (for all 36 cells). See attached.Not sure how % and v are related.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the raw data that comes from the cell or BMS is Voltage. The % is just an extrapolation from a theoretical factory value of a brand new cell.

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Alrighty folks here's an update on the saga! Mostly good news, hooray!

As some of you predicted, battery health went back up after another driving / charging cycle, on the third cycle after my 0% experiment.
To recap, during the charge from 0%, at about 60% SoC, the BCM decided to recalculate SoH and it dropped from 97% to 92%; not gradually, but suddenly, implying a recalculation that was triggered by some thresholds. At the same time, my predicted battery capacity went from 87kWh to 82kWh.
Two driving / charging cycles (one deepish and one shallow) didn't change a thing.
The charge on this last weekend, however, saw another jump: at about 75% SoC, SoH went back up to 96.5% and capacity is at 86kWh.
So, there was an effect, but it was not nearly as dramatic as initially suggested.

I am a bit surprised that the BCM is so jumpy and it's interesting that the kWh prediction changes in lockstep with the SoH (by the same relative amount). I don't know details about SoH calculations and my understanding is that there isn't a universally agreed-upon standard; there are several ways to calculate SoH, which due to the complexities of battery chemistry are idealizations that don't necessarily model batteries' behaviors the same way.

Aaaannyway, still not a good idea to noodle it down too much but Curt I think you can give 5% a try ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I’m glad the cardiologist gave your kitty a relatively clean bill of health :)

But this brings up something I’ve suspected for a while when buyers are urged to get a SoH report on a car sitting on the lot for a year or more (like mine). I’ve felt that a report that showed a relatively low SoH may not mean as much as it first appears. I‘ve always felt the true SoH would show up after driving the car for a number of miles and going through several charge/discharge cycles.

I just never believed that an otherwise healthy battery would deteriorate to any significant extent by just sitting on a lot.

·
Registered
893 Posts
For the fist time, I drove mine down to 2%.
I got home, plugged it in to my CP

It took 13 hours to fully charge and CP shows 94.83kwh added or 82.51kwh with with the API being off

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
I pay 4c CAD (or 3c USD) per kw.... in Quebec, 99.9% green hydro electricity ! Who beats this price ?
Do you care to to share any of that electricity (or water) with those of south of the border.
I have great rates in PA but cannot get near those numbers.

·
Registered
2020 S
56 Posts
Georgia Power has a special EV plan with $0.01/kWh from 11 pm to 7 am. That is offset by a peak rate of $0.20 during the summer aftenoons, but most times are $0.07. Once I actually start driving to work again I will consider the EV rate, but right now I'm using a lot more power on the A/C in the afternoon than charging the car.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just put solar on your roof. I did five years ago and only pay ~$12 a month to still be connected to the grid 😎
Yeah, doesn't work too well when you live in a condo. ;)

Since my .18/kWh rates are the highest here, I'd be happy to take a monthly collection from the fine members here. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
691 Posts
curt: haha, I challenge you to take it down to 0%! If you're chicken, take it down to 5%, which is probably ok. See how many miles you get from 20% to 5%, that would be useful to know!
I took the battery down to 12% after taking it to 15% a couple of weeks ago. I tried for 10% but it was late and I wasn't willing to drive around until then.

Of interest, the charging rate was 6.7 kWh vice the normal 7.7. There was a noticable variation in the rate so I'm assuming cell balancing was occuring as the battery was fairly cool.

WattCat reported the battery optimized at 100% after hovering around 97% before the charge. Good news.

I didn't track the mileage below 20% but the drop in range seemed very linear and predictable.

Okay Sciencegeek, 5% is next or as my wife likes to say, "What's the matter, Colonel Sanders? Chicken?"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Good job Curt, I approve ;)
As many of you know (and some of us live), the current CA heat wave is extreme.
I plugged in last night and the charge rate stayed constant the whole time, no throttling. Despite the high battery temperature. Because the sun was down, the cabin temp was below 100. I swear the throttling of charging depends on cabin temp, not battery temp.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We started charging at 9:00PM and temps were in the 70s. Cabin temp was pretty good so I don't know why I saw the reduced charging speed other than cell balancing. It's the first time in 18 months I've seen anything below 7.5 kWh.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Considering that I need maybe 120 miles in a day max, this means the car will still have range for the next 30 years or so. :)

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I agree. I too like good range. Who doesn't?

We tend to get worked up about exact range figures but here's an anecdote. I did a one-day 300 mile round trip to the mountains, including a big mountain bike ride, last fall when my battery was down to 60% capacity in my old I-Pace ... and it was fine. Two fast charging stops that go pretty fast (because the battery has low capacity). 400 miles and below it's all about expectations and not about the range, even with a compromised battery. It's not an excuse for a prematurely bad battery, but normal aging won't bother me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
But you may need new tires. 😉
Yup. About every year and a half. And I'll never but them at the motherfucking dealer again.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts