Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Dynamic mode with suspension on comfort is my preferred mode hands down

-Eco and other modes will be similar on range unless I’m driving a lot of highway miles or have been driving harder in comfort/dynamic than I do in Eco. If my driving style is normal for all modes and I have been mostly driving in the city then the expected range will be almost the same in each mode

-I drive a 60 mile highway trip, then 30 city miles or so, and the 60 back 2-3 times a week. I run the car like I would an ICE and I always have 60-90 miles left

-My range is smart. When the car realizes I’m not going to do my highway drive by 11am because I usually leave in the morning, it adds the range back. I’ll be at 146 or something and it recognizes I’m not leaving the city And getting on the highway that day and It adjusts within a few hours to add the range back. It’ll adjust back lower if I Do jump on the highway and make the trip that afternoon

-Also with range, it will inch down from 230 starting range as the week goes on if I drive mostly highway miles each day. By Friday a full charge might be 206 for example. Because my days are mixed enough it stays in the 225 range on a daily basis

-I have not had any of the updates from the past 12 months and car has not been optimized for range so I think the 250 is pretty accurate considering

-I always drive a 23 mile mostly highway drive in the morning on top of my daily driving. I go at about 5:30-6 when roads are clear then plugin when I get back

I think my range is as based off pushing the car on the highway as much as possible unless someone is literally driving up and down a highway everyday. I’m in Texas and it’s as hot as it gets here, this doesn’t change my range, it’s been hot as **** and I’ve owned it only during these Summer months. Hoping the warmer winters here will be good for the car

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is a great summary and good to know that it has remained consistent. I see you do not use quick chargers. I seem to avoid them as I am afraid it will damage the battery and since I have had my battery replaced I haven’t hit a quick charger since. I can’t help but think that dumping that kind of energy into the battery can’t be good. Obviously I am wrong on that but I sort of treat my car like it is made of fine porcelain and will break if slightly mistreated. :)

I haven’t tried setting up a profile with Dynamic and comfort suspension combined but I should give it a try. I don’t do any long trips other than hitting my brothers place around 100kms (60miles) away from time to time. So far after 18 months I have logged similar miles to you (19,000kms) but obviously at a much slower pace. Or should I say a much slower (I)-pace. Lol

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my experience of driving 125 miles a day for 90 days in a row, the car is very very consistent. I posted this because I figured I have a great data set to really see what happens with various types of driving and if someone has a car that isn't acting consistent then they should swap it out. The range seems to be all intuition, what you do impacts what the car thinks is coming. Cranking up the AC drops miles because it thinks you will have the AC running. Driving all highway everyday for 4 days causes the GOM to plummet all the way down to around what is universally considered the cars highway 75-85 mph range- 190-210. Switch on Friday to only city driving and do the same Saturday morning and by mid day the GOM will guess that you are going to drive the next batch of miles in the city at lower speeds and it'll add back 20 to even 40 miles. I love it when it does that. It's my baby. I feel lucky, I got screwed on the latest update bc they told me it was all updated and it's not, so I don't have the extra real world range added or the soa update capability- however, the car has no issues and I'm able to consistently plan and meet all my driving needs. I am driving too much, it's an addiction

As far as dynamic on comfort, definitely try it out! I love it with the tighter steering and extra juice but smooth ride. I don't think you are wrong on the fast chargers, I've read that fast charging isn't great for the battery. I suspect like most things, it is fine in moderation. I've used chargers a few times, I just don't need them. I also don't want to rely on chargers as I was stuck driving cross country from Minn to TX since half the fast chargers were broken.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
I can’t help but think that dumping that kind of energy into the battery can’t be good.
Anybody have information on what the highest instantaneous regen battery charge rate is. Going 50 mph or more and letting off the go pedal with high regen set sends the regen power way around counter clockwise. Stopping a 5000 lb car in reasonable short order sounds like it could generate a decent momentary charge. Have you seen any data?

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
All I know that JLR claims that regen is active without friction braking up to 0.4g. Which on a 5000 lbs vehicle as you point out would be quite a bit of energy. I'd have to look up how much, I don't have that formula on top of my head.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody have information on what the highest instantaneous regen battery charge rate is. Going 50 mph or more and letting off the go pedal with high regen set sends the regen power way around counter clockwise. Stopping a 5000 lb car in reasonable short order sounds like it could generate a decent momentary charge. Have you seen any data?
I wonder if the regen is worth it, whatever the charge rate is. If kept on high regen while zipping in and out of traffic only modulating the throttle, the instantaneous but smooth (in comparison to applying brakes in an ICE at 85 after popping the pedal from 65) deceleration that can be quickly reversed for another burst, all without switching between gas pedal/brake pedal, is one of the many reasons driving this car is so special. And yet the power input from having to mash gas after the declaration seems counter productive to using this method to generate power via regen making any gains seem negligible

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
I wonder if the regen is worth it, whatever the charge rate is. If kept on high regen while zipping in and out of traffic only modulating the throttle, the instantaneous but smooth (in comparison to applying brakes in an ICE at 85 after popping the pedal from 65) deceleration that can be quickly reversed for another burst, all without switching between gas pedal/brake pedal, is one of the many reasons driving this car is so special. And yet the power input from having to mash gas after the declaration seems counter productive to using this method to generate power via regen making any gains seem negligible
Regen is definitely worth it since you do capture power during breaking that would otherwise be lost. Whether it aids or inhibits driving style is in the eyes of the beholder, I would say. ;) So far I've been 100% high regen after never driving an EV or high regen HEV before the end of May 2020. I enjoy the one pedal driving and modulate the "go" pedal for what I want the car to do almost 100% of the time. Ultimately, driving while never regen or braking is the most efficient way of driving, but it is an obviously unworkable option.

My original question in #4 above was just wondering what the highest instantaneous charge is at maximum regen. It seems it could be pretty high, but it's a curiosity only. I'm certainly not looking to regen brake simply to charge the batteries.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
Great post, Thanks wbhwaco.

Our recent temps have been probably as hot, or hotter than Texas where I live in So. California. The past week daytimes temps have been 105-115 and even at 10pm, it is still 90F!

I am finding the hot weather has made a huge impact on range. I drove my 2019 HSE from Dec. 2019 until Aug. 2020, and until July & Aug, my range was much higher and more consistent in cool and just warm temps. These HOT temps use more battery than our "cold" winter morning temps of 30-40F.

I am super curious about Dynamic mode + Comfort suspension! I have never heard of this. Perhaps I did not read my manually well enough!!

·
Registered
627 Posts

Our recent temps have been probably as hot, or hotter than Texas where I live in So. California. The past week daytimes temps have been 105-115 and even at 10pm, it is still 90F!

I am finding the hot weather has made a huge impact on range. I drove my 2019 HSE from Dec. 2019 until Aug. 2020, and until July & Aug, my range was much higher and more consistent in cool and just warm temps. These HOT temps use more battery than our "cold" winter morning temps of 30-40F.

I am super curious about Dynamic mode + Comfort suspension! I have never heard of this. Perhaps I did not read my manually well enough!!
You need to have Adaptive Dynamics with Configurable Dynamics option in your car to set it up this way.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Wow, hotter than Texas? You might be right, I've just not heard of that. With me being in the Austin area and having so many CA transplants move here, it's the main thing they comment on when moving here along with not being able to style their hair the way they did in CA with little humidity. Actually the hair is the most common thing people mention.

I read your comments on battery range/hot weather on another post a few days ago so for the last few days I've looked up LA weather and it has consistently been 10% less heat than here. Last night it was 95 here at 1am and in LA it was 87. The other day it was 95 LA and 109 here in middle of the day. What part of Southern CA are you in? In non winter months (and usually even then) it is almost always over 100 here and anything under 100 Texans say it's nice outside/not too hot/better make use of the nice weather. And I agree, balmy and mildly cool weather should be better for I Pace range than extreme heat. I think we will have to agree to disagree on whether 95 or 110 temp is a difference maker that would impact range, we agree that 40 vs 100 makes a difference. Everything I've read says the weather you had prior to July are ideal temps for the I Pace. Are you saying the battery has less juice when it is 100 degrees out vs 10? Just want to make sure I understand, thx

And definitely try the dynamic on comfort if your car has that feature, it's a game changer!

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regen is definitely worth it since you do capture power during breaking that would otherwise be lost. Whether it aids or inhibits driving style is in the eyes of the beholder, I would say. ;) So far I've been 100% high regen after never driving an EV or high regen HEV before the end of May 2020. I enjoy the one pedal driving and modulate the "go" pedal for what I want the car to do almost 100% of the time. Ultimately, driving while never regen or braking is the most efficient way of driving, but it is an obviously unworkable option.

My original question in #4 above was just wondering what the highest instantaneous charge is at maximum regen. It seems it could be pretty high, but it's a curiosity only. I'm certainly not looking to regen brake simply to charge the batteries.
It does seem pretty high, I do not know what the charge is. Might be something to try and figure out today!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
You need to have Adaptive Dynamics with Configurable Dynamics option in your car to set it up this way.
I do have Adaptive Dynamic package, it's on my window sticker...but I have only have my 2020 about a week and have not even played with much yet.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Wow, hotter than Texas? You might be right, I've just not heard of that. With me being in the Austin area and having so many CA transplants move here, it's the main thing they comment on when moving here along with not being able to style their hair the way they did in CA with little humidity. Actually the hair is the most common thing people mention.

I read your comments on battery range/hot weather on another post a few days ago so for the last few days I've looked up LA weather and it has consistently been 10% less heat than here. Last night it was 95 here at 1am and in LA it was 87. The other day it was 95 LA and 109 here in middle of the day. What part of Southern CA are you in? In non winter months (and usually even then) it is almost always over 100 here and anything under 100 Texans say it's nice outside/not too hot/better make use of the nice weather. And I agree, balmy and mildly cool weather should be better for I Pace range than extreme heat. I think we will have to agree to disagree on whether 95 or 110 temp is a difference maker that would impact range, we agree that 40 vs 100 makes a difference. Everything I've read says the weather you had prior to July are ideal temps for the I Pace. Are you saying the battery has less juice when it is 100 degrees out vs 10? Just want to make sure I understand, thx

And definitely try the dynamic on comfort if your car has that feature, it's a game changer!
We have lost a few very good friends to Austin :( and they complain about their hair now in Texas, LOL. While the past week has been terribly humid and hot here, usually it is bone dry here (I mean single digit humidity here)!

If you check Los Angeles weather, it is 15-20 degrees cooler than where we live. We are in Calabasas/Woodland Hills. In fact yesterday, our daytime temps matched Palm Springs' 111F; whereas Los Angeles showed a reading of only about 90F. For one week now our daytime temps have been 105-115F!

You are correct, up until this July, our temps were pretty amazing and I think this is why my range and SOC usage was so stable. When July hit, we jumped from 70s to 100F and with the heavy A/C usage I have noticed a dramatic increase in battery usage (and of course those fans!!!!!)

I will for sure try Dynamic on Comfort. Thank you so much from mentioning this!!!!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
523 Posts
As a rough calculation I was thinking about this question this morning while returning home. Doing 39mph I let off the "gas" pedal completely and was down to 34mph within a count of "2". I was watching the regen line on the power display and it maxed out at only about 1/3 of the left side of the dial.
A rough back of the envelope calculation suggests that a 2250kg vehicle plus driver slowing from 39mph to 34mph would lose ~41kJ of kinetic energy, so assuming my count of "2" represents 2 seconds (probably an overestimate), the power generated would ~20kW over that 2sec. With the dial only moving ~ 1/3 of the way around gives a maximum deflection at over 60kW
My guess is that this maximum may actually be the max charging rate of the I-Pace - 80kW.
I was surprised by these numbers. Let me know if the back of the envelope missed anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
I've noticed that the instantaneous consumption meter in the dash (the one that you can toggle through with the stalk button) will display a maximum of -150kW. The OBD tool also reports a (theoretical) maximum of 150kW. I'll have to try the OBD readout next time I drive, will report back.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have Adaptive Dynamic package, it's on my window sticker...but I have only have my 2020 about a week and have not even played with much yet.
I stand corrected on the temps. I didn’t realize it’s actually hotter there than it is here! I can’t comment on whether it impacts the battery at 110-115, it’s only gotten up to 104 here since I’ve had it

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
523 Posts
I've noticed that the instantaneous consumption meter in the dash (the one that you can toggle through with the stalk button) will display a maximum of -150kW. The OBD tool also reports a (theoretical) maximum of 150kW. I'll have to try the OBD readout next time I drive, will report back.
I don't usually have the "consumption meter" displayed, but toggled thru it this morning. Seems the max negative display is -99.9kWh/100miles. As indicated this was at 29mph. Back calculating this is a recharging rate of -29kW. The regen indicator was at approximately 40% of max deflection, so maybe a max regen of ~80-100kW.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Continuing this talk of regeneration...where does it go though? LOL

Our Taycan and i3S...when you do a lot of regeneration braking or downhill driving, the range estimate and even the SOC% goes up. On our I-Pace...it goes down :-O

I-Pace #2 for me, and I have never once seen the G-o-M add mileage or the SOC go up, even with massive downhill regeneration. I asked our neighbor who got an I-Pace and he said the same thing. He has had 2 or 3 Teslas, and said his range would go up with braking and downhill driving, where his I-Pace range and SOC goes down with the same driving (just like mine).

Where is our "recaptured energy"? It's powering the da*n fans, isn't it?! LMAO.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
523 Posts
Continuing this talk of regeneration...where does it go though? LOL

Our Taycan and i3S...when you do a lot of regeneration braking or downhill driving, the range estimate and even the SOC% goes up. On our I-Pace...it goes down :-O

I-Pace #2 for me, and I have never once seen the G-o-M add mileage or the SOC go up, even with massive downhill regeneration. I asked our neighbor who got an I-Pace and he said the same thing. He has had 2 or 3 Teslas, and said his range would go up with braking and downhill driving, where his I-Pace range and SOC goes down with the same driving (just like mine).

Where is our "recaptured energy"? It's powering the da*n fans, isn't it?! LMAO.
My sense is that the amount of energy stored is quite minimal. Yes 100kW regen sounds good, but this occurs for only a few seconds while breaking. Yes, long downhill sections would generate power to be stored, but again small compared to the 86kWh battery. Leading to the other aspect, the GoM. Being a rolling average of past driving behavior, the regen would not greatly influence the numbers, unless perhaps the battery was low and the driving behavior was reset.

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
My sense is that the amount of energy stored is quite minimal. Yes 100kW regen sounds good, but this occurs for only a few seconds while breaking. Yes, long downhill sections would generate power to be stored, but again small compared to the 86kWh battery.
It depends on driving style and hilliness. I just looked over my records from mid-June to beginning of August.
Total number of kWh used: 294.1
Total number of kWh regenerated: 127.1
That's huge. Yes I'm a spirited driver and I attribute about 20kWh to hills, but still. Regen is massively important. We know this from hybrids.

Edit: it also depends on type of drive ... much less regen on freeway driving. Above numbers are mostly in town and country roads.

Being a rolling average of past driving behavior, the regen would not greatly influence the numbers, unless perhaps the battery was low and the driving behavior was reset.
Agree with that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts