Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect to receive my new my22 loaded SE end of next week. However reading the forum is there anyone who has the car without issues!! I am in the UK where the car costs a few $ less than $100,000 and expect to receive a perfect car fit for use. I reckoned it's no longer new technology which I would expect to have the odd issue. My dealer had been very unimpressive compared to my experience with BMW and Mercedes and am now worried that I will be going backwards and forwards with problems. Someone tell me they have the car from new and have not had to take it back......please!

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts

·
Registered
I-Pace HSE MY20 Corris Grey, Pano roof
16 Posts
Hi there, I'm in the UK and took delivery of a brand new MY20 HSE back in January. It's been perfect.

Reactions: Theopps

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
306 Posts
I can't tell you that. My MY21 has been nothing but aggro mainly because the dealers are terrible and there is a repeated long wait and fixes aren't made.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine has also been in the dealers shop for months.
Bad battery.
No know date for replacement parts.
Service dept. has never worked on battery before.
Service tech has no experience replacing battery parts either.
I am trying to get a buy back, but no answer response from JLR yet.
Sorry bout more bad news, but nothing I can do to speed things up.
I would just like a buy back so I can move on with some other option.
Oh, Jaguar will pay 45 per day for loaner, if you can find one for $45.
The dealer did not even know about that, They wanted $2/day at my cost for a loaner from the lot.
I had a land rover loaner for 2 weeks, then it got sold so I had to bring it back.

Reactions: Iboughtalemon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine has also been in the dealers shop for months.
Bad battery.
No know date for replacement parts.
Service dept. has never worked on battery before.
Service tech has no experience replacing battery parts either.
I am trying to get a buy back, but no answer response from JLR yet.
Sorry bout more bad news, but nothing I can do to speed things up.
I would just like a buy back so I can move on with some other option.
Oh, Jaguar will pay 45 per day for loaner, if you can find one for $45.
The dealer did not even know about that, They wanted $2/day at my cost for a loaner from the lot.
I had a land rover loaner for 2 weeks, then it got sold so I had to bring it back.
Did you actually get reimbursed? I haven’t been reimbursed and no one seems to know how.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think, from what I am reading here and there, that it is more a matter of a good and reliable dealership than a good and reliable car.
My personal experience with that car is fantastic. For instance, when I reported an issue with the 12v, they have immediately updated some modules in the car, and the problem was fixed for good. 1 day to fix it. Some others are doing back and forth to the garage where they keep replacing the 12v battery and the problem resurfaces 1 week after. One example among many other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve had an MY21 since January this year. Relatively minor mechanical issues have cropped up over those 6-7 months. However, the main weakness with the I-Pace lies firmly on the software integration side. Unfortunately, for an EV this is a core issue. Every OTA (when it works) comes with new issues rather than converging on a stable platform. It seems most of the legacy manufacturers also have software integration issues with their pioneering EV models but I think the I-Pace is particularly bad value for money. I will not be renewing the lease for a new I-Pace in 2.5 years.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did not rent a car so did not get hung out for any expense.
When I told the dealer about a rental reimbursment, they dropped the $2/day fee that I would of had to pay.
I also agree this I-Pace is a good car, until it fails and can't be repaired.
The lack of communication between the dealer and myself is much of the problem.
If you own a EV, sooner or later you will have some battery issue, either degradation, or failure.
For example: Now all of the Tycans are being recalled due to some 12v battery/software issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am with Dernotte. The car is utterly wonderful. I still catch myself finding excuses just to take her for a spin. Best car I ever owned, by a mile.

The vast majority of owners enjoy trouble free motoring.
Mine is a very early build (June'18) and suffered from the 12v problem (which at times did not charge, causing a wide array of errors as this 12v battery powers most control modules).
My (excellent) dealer replaced relevant modules in 2 days.

It looks like dealers in the US are on average deplorably bad, making owners suffer failure after failure and absurd repair times for no other reason than incompetence.
In the UK and elsewhere some are great, some poor. If you are unlucky to have trouble and your dealer is also worthless, then you end up feeling like Electric Beagle, Meldev, Iboughtalemon... Else you'll feel like a prince.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
....It looks like dealers in the US are on average deplorably bad, making owners suffer failure after failure and absurd repair times for no other reason than incompetence.
As with much on internet forums, the complaints out number the praise. I've dealt with two East coast dealers (Albany NY, and Allentown PA) and can honestly say the service is what I would expected - very good. The former replaced a broken charging port within 4days of dropping off the car unannounced. The latter is my local dealer and has done annual check ups and solved a SIM card communication issue with no problems.
I sense the bigger repairs involving the traction battery etc are causing issues due to inexperience of the techs and parts availability.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think LG has some big problems that a number of car makers have to deal with.
This quote is from an article from Electrek. It talks about the Bolt, but the symptoms are identical to
my I-Pace.

Chevy Bolt EV catches on fire after receiving both of GM’s ‘software fixes’ July 8,2021.

My I-Pace did not catch fire, but did show signs as stated later in the above article.

A 2020 Bolt owner this week was wondering why his range was so abnormally low. He should have more than 416km (259mi). He only has 291km. After we investigated, we can prove that there is a defective cell in the battery. Yet there are no warnings in the car, no check engine light, no alerts sent. His range has been low for at least three months, yet his OnStar monthly emails also state that there’s no problem with the battery. As a result, his dealership was almost unwilling to even check his battery, stating that because the check engine light was not on, there couldn’t be a problem. He’s not alone.

So this is exactly what my Jaguar dealer said after I took my car in for service in January this year.
If the idiot light is not on, then there is no problem!
The I-Pace has no smart software to detect when a battery is bad.
It is up to the owner to be smarter than the car.
I wonder if Jaguar might have a battery recall some day. (like other brands)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Unfortunately we did not find the secret location of the information (Amp, volt) about the 36 cells of the battery on the OBD2 port. Only the aggregated value for the whole pack.
We know that the JLR tool is able to extract the info, so it is there. Still hidden.
I don't know why manufacturers keep hiding those info. For most of the car, it can be revealed with the OBD2.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I expect to receive my new my22 loaded SE end of next week. However reading the forum is there anyone who has the car without issues!! I am in the UK where the car costs a few $ less than $100,000 and expect to receive a perfect car fit for use. I reckoned it's no longer new technology which I would expect to have the odd issue. My dealer had been very unimpressive compared to my experience with BMW and Mercedes and am now worried that I will be going backwards and forwards with problems. Someone tell me they have the car from new and have not had to take it back......please!
I've had my 2019 IPace since August 2019 (April 2019 build I think) and 25,000 miles. I have had no issues with the car to speak of. LOVE it. I did have a charging issue a while back, but that turned out to be an issue with my home charger, not the car.

It has been my experience that with a discussion board for ANY car, it is a forum for complaining about problems - understandably. As a result, you only hear the complaints, not the satisfied customers. Which is not to say there are no problems or issues, and those who have had significant problems are justified with being upset.

I find the infotainment system lag annoying, but so far that is my only complaint.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
306 Posts
I've had my 2019 IPace since August 2019 (April 2019 build I think) and 25,000 miles. I have had no issues with the car to speak of. LOVE it. I did have a charging issue a while back, but that turned out to be an issue with my home charger, not the car.

It has been my experience that with a discussion board for ANY car, it is a forum for complaining about problems - understandably. As a result, you only hear the complaints, not the satisfied customers. Which is not to say there are no problems or issues, and those who have had significant problems are justified with being upset.

I find the infotainment system lag annoying, but so far that is my only complaint.
This may be fair but I can't honestly say I have bought any new car with absolutely zero issues. If you are lucky enough to have a car with zero issues or very trivial ones it is a great car, however it is the level of issues (and they oddly seem especially prevalent on the newer MY 21 model) and the resolution of those issues that really grates with me.

I had simply no idea that what I had seen as minor teething issues when I took delivery 8 months ago would still be ongoing. I had no idea that some dealers techs really do not seem up to the job (and a good idea from the GTR board I used to frequent which could be applied here would be to have a section to keep track of stellar dealers with great technicians and good service and name and shame the hopeless ones so that each owner does not have to learn this for themselves I have two bad ones to raise in Rybrook Warrington UK and Inchcape Preston UK and no good experiences elsewhere to date).

I may have been naive but in 25 years of buying brand new cars I had no idea that an experience buying a new car in the 2020s could be this bad. It may well be that this problem can be mitigated by having a good dealer (but how do you know who is good and bad with the iPace - if anyone is good within easy travelling distance of where you live) but I would never have reasonably suspected the level of issues I have experienced or the very poor level of dealer service, manufacturer customer relations and low success rate of dealer intervention.

The only longer term issue my car still suffers from is spontaneous profile and settings reset at random intervals (apparently timed when it will be most inconvenient) this is common to many MY21 cars the only solution seems to be to ignore the profiles entirely (which doesn't feel like a great solution to me). I have fairly recently discovered the AC will not work for more than 20 mins in a drive (it was quite probably always like this but it took a warm summer to expose). A day in the dealer led to resetting the errors and zero effective functional difference so I have a new £82k (or US$114k, yes they are more expensive in the UK too) car that has no real functioning AC and no clear path to when it ever might function but hey I am booked in for2days in a months time and I may get lucky and have it fixed just before summer ends.

I also now have things which previously worked but do not work anymore, so I can no longer connect to my home wifi and several of the Apps (mainly driving style) no longer function correctly. These are more minor than the AC issue but still annoying (especially when every dealer interaction is less pleasurable than genital mutilation).

I am quite sure too that there are a number of owners with issues who do not report them online here or elsewhere so whilst we are a self selecting sample we may not be so unrepresentative, I don't think we will ever know but I don't think the motoring press does a great job of raising issues given they would be biting the hand that feeds them advertising.

If you get a good iPace (and dealer) you should cherish them but if you do not reject the car early is my advice rather than expecting things to get better or you end up like me trapped and utterly fed up with the issues with my car (to the extent it tends to obscure the plus points) but stuck with it because selling it now would crystallise a huge loss of value. I have said it before but will say it again my car and dealer experience have fundamentally soured me to any future JLR purchase and I previously really wanted to buy a RR as a second car.

If I was offered a full refund now I would take it in a heartbeat but I really just wish that my car had worked well from delivery and I had better experiences with dealers. I can see what people like about the car, the things that are wrong with my experience just overshadow all the good points. I can really see that a great dealer could make all this better, if they had taken ownership of the problem given me a decent loan car (maybe the RR I was thinking of as a second car purchase) and kept mine in until everything was fully resolved, tested and proven to work then I would be happy and probably giving them more money for the second car. Shame that was not my actual experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think, from what I am reading here and there, that it is more a matter of a good and reliable dealership than a good and reliable car.
My personal experience with that car is fantastic. For instance, when I reported an issue with the 12v, they have immediately updated some modules in the car, and the problem was fixed for good. 1 day to fix it. Some others are doing back and forth to the garage where they keep replacing the 12v battery and the problem resurfaces 1 week after. One example among many other.
May I ask where you are located? If in the GTA, who is your dealer? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a MY20 but servicing remains a concern, given how scarce these cars are in Canada.

·
Registered
177 Posts
#1. I have a 2019 HSE and have had two problems in ~2 years. Electronic key would not open doors, with the little button on the door handle, after 6 month's of ownership. After much testing dealer ordered a new key. It worked for about 9 months then it also quit working with the little door button. After much investigation by myself, I now keep the electronic key in my left pocket, instead of my right pocket and stand on my tiptoes, when unlocking using the little button. The little button now works 90% of the time.(still works all the time with my wife's original key) It will not work if you are blocking it with a bag of groceries or very sweaty pants. #2.My battery software had to be downloaded at the dealer, because this forum said it should be so and I wanted it to be so. That's it. No other failures that required a dealer visit. 3.+ My favorite road test which shows Jaguar is sandbagging it's published acceleration, versus Tesla is overstating the model 3P acceleration. War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

1 - 19 of 19 Posts