Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I regularly drive 167 miles to our second home.
If I keep my speed under 65 I can get 210 miles - at 70 to 75 I still get 200 miles. I set it to Eco mode.
Actually that's a good point, I should have used ECO, especially as I like it for more precise throttle input. Wondering how much the difference would be.
Your observations show quite low speed impact BTW. I would expect 65 / 75 difference to be over 10%.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
I've paid a lot of attention on recent road trips to range as a function of speed. As expected, at higher speeds it's totally consistent with wind resistance being the main consumer. While range loss at 75 mph vs 65 mph is not the theoretical 33% (75^2 / 65^2), it's easily 25%.

Regarding eco vs dynamic (or comfort): I always drive in dynamic, even on long road trips where I need to pay attention to range. At close-to constant speeds (i.e., few bouts of deceleration and acceleration), there's virtually no difference. When you're cruising on the freeway, eco won't noticeably help. Speed, however, is a huge factor. Drag at 65 mph is 16% less than drag at 70 mph; 33% less than at 75 mph (see above).

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
While range loss at 75 mph vs 65 mph is not the theoretical 33% (75^2 / 65^2), it's easily 25%.
I've seen many equations with power factor ranging from 1.5 through 4, and additional coefficients. AFAIK, there's no easy way of calculating it, and even finite element models give quite coarse approximation.
Per my observations, I would say it's probably 15%. And then, AC and any other constant drains shrink the range in reverse proportion (slower = worse), so relative difference becomes smaller. And based on that, there will be different optimal speeds for various scenarios; higher ones with AC (still around 55 I guess).
BTW:

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
There is nothing better than the AC blasting, the Cooling seats on and the Car set to Dynamic! It always puts a smile on my face!!

Haha! That's the spirit! The only thing I'd add is "while flying past a Tesla"!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Like one time was not enough...
Much more EV-friendly route this time, and again went off the rail due to charging.
~55 mi across the town starting off 50% SoC. The goal was actually to discover EA station which leads up north, for possible inter-city drive.
First decided to quickly stop at the distant JLR dealer to catch another ~10..15% just in case. Wish I could get into the heads of those tremendous people to understand why they wouldn't unlock the charger for me.
Burned few extra miles, but still good margin remaining.
Pulling into the distant EA with ~20%. Out of 8 x DC stalls - 4 permanently disabled, remaining ones can't initiate charging session. And I know it's not the car as the Bolt next to me had exact same issues.
Going across the street, two 10KW Blink stalls - both failed, "Unable to connect to the charger" error in the app (and BTW, $0.49 / KW at L2).
~15%, start going toward home, surface streets, looking for the charger.
Could sneak into apartment complex with L2 station - 2 KW charging, less than 1% gained in 20 min.
Next enroute DC station was 50KW EVGo 15 mi out in mall area, but Saturday evening the spot was unlikely to be free.
So decided to deviate a few miles to Nissan dealership first, 50 KW plug. How a great idea that was. Not only they had no issues with me charging for free, but also I had a nice conversation with the staff. Could pull ~20% no problem, although charging rate was ~25 KW max (heat ?).
So adding this trip to the past weekend's statistics:
  • 6 chargers visited;
  • 3 DC stations were non operational;
  • 1 was a human factor issue;
  • 1 AC charger was useless for immediate charging;
  • 1 DC worked, although twice slower than expected.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Not that it would make your experience any better at this point but I've had success calling EA and having them reset the station.

Also, just anecdotally, I pulled up to a blink charger at a hotel the other day, intending to charge overnight and it just got stuck at Initializing every time I tried. Then I remembered the old trick of shutting the car down, locking it, and walking away with the key until it's out of range. (This has worked for me several times before, including at home.) Voila, upon returning to the car and trying again it worked and happily charged overnight!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Bolt owner was on the phone with EA support for over 20 min no progress. But otherwise yes, that would be an option. Once I've got a free charging even, don't remember which network though.
Need to keep in mind that trick with locking the car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts