Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was supposed to be an easy out and back trip, ~175 mi total.
On the way back, 30 mi out, ~18% /40 mi remaining, decided to charge a bit just in case.
EVGo. Complete and utter faulty crap.10 min wasted, no gain, and AC at 115F eaten up an equivalent of few miles.
Now it's ~35 mi range vs 30 mi distance. Close, but another option is to deviate ~8 mi to the EA charger, so decided to drive home slowly instead. Going 50 with emergency blinkers at 75 mph highway wasn't exciting, but at least 5 mi margin stays in.
And - surprise ! - inbound road closed due to power line break during recent dust storm. Shortest detour is +4 mi.
The picture has been taken in the garage, so ended up OK this time, except sweating in low battery mode for last few miles, with acceleration limit (blue mark on power meter).
But I think I'm done with such experiments. Anything out of town - I'm bringing the Ridgeline.
I-Pace stays within city limits (exactly where it excels), 20% SOC minimum no matter what.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Was it fully charged when you started the journey ? Did you check/remember what was the impact of the AC on consumption (in the 'impact' screen) ?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
View attachment 5819

On the way back, 30 mi out, ~18% /40 mi remaining, decided to charge a bit just in case.
EVGo. Complete and utter faulty crap.10 min wasted, no gain, and AC at 115F eaten up an equivalent of few miles.
Now it's ~35 mi range vs 30 mi distance. Close, but another option is to deviate ~8 mi to the EA charger, so decided to drive home slowly instead. Going 50 with emergency blinkers at 75 mph highway wasn't exciting, but at least 5 mi margin stays in.
And - surprise ! - inbound road closed due to power line break during recent dust storm. Shortest detour is +4 mi.
The picture has been taken in the garage, so ended up OK this time, except sweating in low battery mode for last few miles, with acceleration limit (blue mark on power meter).
But I think I'm done with such experiments. Anything out of town - I'm bringing the Ridgeline.
I-Pace stays within city limits (exactly where it excels), 20% SOC minimum no matter what.
Glad you made it home. For once the GoM did not lie. 30miles plus 4mile detour, plus 2miles remaining. You owe it 1mile.
AC on in 115F temp is going to deplete battery quickly. A drop of 40miles (18%) to 35miles over 10mins w/o driving represents 2.5% of main battery capacity. In hindsight perhaps that EA charger was the "right" call.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
750 Posts
Glad you made it, I would have freaked! It shows you are registered in Phoenix, AZ and you said 115F...but your car shows 42C. Did you set your car to C or did it revert to C and you do not know how to change it? ;) Even though of course I know C, I prefer keeping it in F since I am in the USA now and F is only referred to.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it fully charged when you started the journey ? Did you check/remember what was the impact of the AC on consumption (in the 'impact' screen) ?
100% at take off.
AC impact was showing around 20 mi earlier in the trip. Not sure if it prorates to the remaining range or is absolute.
Most of the driving was at 77 mph, only last leg 50.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you made it home. For once the GoM did not lie. 30miles plus 4mile detour, plus 2miles remaining. You owe it 1mile.
AC on in 115F temp is going to deplete battery quickly. A drop of 40miles (18%) to 35miles over 10mins w/o driving represents 2.5% of main battery capacity. In hindsight perhaps that EA charger was the "right" call.
Yes, after lowering to 50 it got pretty relevant.
When stopped, AC takes even more as it needs to run radiator fan.
Deviation to EA even for minimum charge would be 30 min plus, which felt like a lot compared to about same timing going straight home.
So although it's two-point failure situation (charger + closed road), it still clearly shows how easy it is to get into a range issue.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Glad you made it, I would have freaked! It shows you are registered in Phoenix, AZ and you said 115F...but your car shows 42C. Did you set your car to C or did it revert to C and you do not know how to change it? ;) Even though of course I know C, I prefer keeping it in F since I am in the USA now and F is only referred to.
Thanks, I really got concerned, especially thinking about possible recovery. Not even sure you can tow it with zero battery, maybe only flatbed which sounds like a full-scale rescue operation. Compared to bringing 3 ga of gas in case of ICE car.
And yes, I'm a metrican, so C was intentional. (
)

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
AC on in 115F temp is going to deplete battery quickly.
So far, in general, my AC penalizes me about 25% in range, based on my own driving habits. But like dcdrive, we saw temps of 115 degrees (46C) here in California this week.

I took a trip to a neighboring town that's 11.5 miles away, or 23 miles round trip. But at that temperature, I used 100 miles off my range to complete those 23 miles. I'd have been in trouble if I'd planned a long trip.

I'm guessing that the car was doing some heavy-duty cooling of the battery, in addition to cooling the cabin. I'm having second thoughts about a planned trip to Phoenix...

·
Registered
361 Posts
So far, in general, my AC penalizes me about 25% in range, based on my own driving habits. But like dcdrive, we saw temps of 115 degrees (46C) here in California this week.

I took a trip to a neighboring town that's 11.5 miles away, or 23 miles round trip. But at that temperature, I used 100 miles off my range to complete those 23 miles. I'd have been in trouble if I'd planned a long trip.

I'm guessing that the car was doing some heavy-duty cooling of the battery, in addition to cooling the cabin. I'm having second thoughts about a planned trip to Phoenix...
100 miles of range for 23 real miles? That sounds odd. Do you recall the difference in battery %? Often the GOM makes a big adjustment that is not related to consumption but to its assumptions in calculating the estimated range. % battery and what you expect for range on a full battery is a more reliable estimate (really, Jag should just stick to the basics rather than the terrible, overly complex and utterly inaccurate method they use now).

·
Registered
361 Posts
View attachment 5819

I've done several of long drives from Montreal-Boston, NY, Toronto and only once hit the 0 mark (it actually started shutting down as I pulled into the charge spot) in Manchester, NH after the GOM dropped from ~15 miles to 0 as I pulled into the parking lot. White knuckles for sure. Had a few where I was watching the SOC closely as well, particularly since charge stations may be few and far between.

My habit now for long drives is to evaluate my progress at 75%, 50% and 25% to see how I am doing. If I know I am pushing it range-wise (e.g. plan on arriving with <10% SOC), and If I am gaining at 75% and 50%, I stick to the plan. If I see that I an losing ground at 75% and 50%, I either change my driving style (if possible, can't help a stiff headwind or altitude gain) or consider an unscheduled stop earlier in the journey if one is available (I try to plan on having range for the charger and an alternate when possible). I realize that this is more trouble than a gas car with gas stations everywhere, so maybe the Ridgeline is the better choice.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the GOM dropped from ~15 miles to 0 as I pulled into the parking lot
Have never seen 0 on my one yet. I think you won this round.
...can't help a stiff headwind or altitude gain...
Exactly. So many factors with substantial effect, even driving speed.
Huge shift going from city driving where it flies no matter what, to long range where you need to plan ahead and be cautious.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
...Often the GOM makes a big adjustment that is not related to consumption but to its assumptions in calculating the estimated range. % battery and what you expect for range on a full battery is a more reliable estimate (really, Jag should just stick to the basics rather than the terrible, overly complex and utterly inaccurate method they use now).
All cars have some version of "distance to empty", and none are terribly accurate. ICE gas mileage perhaps doesn't vary quite as much with temp extremes compared to EV's, but still change with speed and AC usage.
That said, it's all in the algorithm used and the weighting of recent vs historical usage. Too much reliance on the most recent usage would lead to wildly fluctuating range estimates within a journey, while complete historical unweighted calculations would not compensate for seasonal changes and would be no more useful than the official governmental numbers.
I'm not suggesting JLR got it right with the GoM calculation, but with experience driving the I-Pace you can "correctly interpret" the GoM, and make sensible recharging decisions

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not suggesting JLR got it right with the GoM calculation, but with experience driving the I-Pace you can "correctly interpret" the GoM, and make sensible recharging decisions
Based on many reports, it's not that off after collecting some statistics.
Unlike Tesla for example, which always shows you same estimate, even when eating the miles up twice faster.
The GOM may be a good fit for an AI, so it can sense driving style/conditions and adjust quicker.

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
100 miles of range for 23 real miles? That sounds odd. Do you recall the difference in battery %? Often the GOM makes a big adjustment that is not related to consumption but to its assumptions in calculating the estimated range. % battery and what you expect for range on a full battery is a more reliable estimate (really, Jag should just stick to the basics rather than the terrible, overly complex and utterly inaccurate method they use now).
When I started off, it was around 80%. Unfortunately, I didn't note the percentage at the end. That calculation was extreme for some reason. Previously, all of the range adjustments were about what I'd expect, based on my speed, terrain, and use of AC, etc. This was an outlier.

But it's the first time I've used the car at 115 degrees... and it was around 79 degrees in the garage when I started out. Plus the elevation was steep for part of the trip... and I was on the freeway, and started using the AC once I was up to speed.

I wonder if all those changes compounded incorrectly. Incidentally, I got a good portion of those miles back next time I used the car.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Based on many reports, it's not that off after collecting some statistics.
Unlike Tesla for example, which always shows you same estimate, even when eating the miles up twice faster.
The GOM may be a good fit for an AI, so it can sense driving style/conditions and adjust quicker.
Just be aware that the GoM cannot accommodate drastic changes such as pottering around town all year and then going on a high speed interstate run with AC blasting.
Many of the complaints on this forum revolve around initial range estimates before a long trip that do not reflect the anticipated usage, and then adjust enroute "eating miles". No algorithm, or AI, is psychic.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Just be aware that the GoM cannot accommodate drastic changes such as pottering around town all year and then going on a high speed interstate run with AC blasting.
Many of the complaints on this forum revolve around initial range estimates before a long trip that do not reflect the anticipated usage, and then adjust enroute "eating miles". No algorithm, or AI, is psychic.
YES

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm locked into a solid 201 Mile estimate at 100%. GoM seems pretty **** accurate for me (my driving patterns are the same day after day). When I burning off 50 Miles I use ~1/4 capacity. What I found is that the GoM is low and I can squeeze more out of it by driving a bit more conservatively. Again, 99% of my trips are local, short trips, so starting the Day with a 100% charge reduces all of my range anxiety. There is nothing better than the AC blasting, the Cooling seats on and the Car set to Dynamic! It always puts a smile on my face!!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it's a common agreement that nothing is more accurate that actual SoC reading.
Quite funny that all vendors are trying to hide it, offering fake mileage estimate instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 5819

I regularly drive 167 miles to our second home.
If I keep my speed under 65 I can get 210 miles - at 70 to 75 I still get 200 miles. I set it to Eco mode.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts