Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked up my new I-PACE (320 PS) and I've now tried charging it at 4 different 300/350 kW CCS Rapid chargers and the best charge rate I'm seeing is 52kW. I've tried various combo's of pre-conditioned battery, external temperatures between 2 degrees C and 20 degrees C. The Retailer says it's down to the chargers......I'm really not convinced.

Anyone else having similar issues?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You will get better answers from others here who are smarter than me.

Max charging rates depend very much on state of charge (SOC) at the time of charging. It is much easier for a charge to push electrons towards the poles of your battery when the cells are empty than when they are full. So, if charging at low SOC, you will see a faster charging power. When the batter is nearly full, charging power decreases dramatically. Battery temperature also affects charging speeds quite a bit.

With my 19MY, I have seen charging speeds up to about 105kw, but only when I start charging on a 150kw or higher DCFC station at SOC below 10% and I've been driving for at least an hour and my battery is warmed up. Charging at the same DCFC station at a higher SOC, say 40%, I might only see 70 or 80kw.

Here is a chart from FastNed in the Netherlands.
Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Max charging rates depend very much on state of charge (SOC) at the time of charging. It is much easier for a charge to push electrons towards the poles of your battery when the cells are empty than when they are full. So, if charging at low SOC, you will see a faster charging power. When the batter is nearly full, charging power decreases dramatically. Battery temperature also affects charging speeds quite a bit.

With my 19MY, I have seen charging speeds up to about 105kw, but only when I start charging on a 150kw or higher DCFC station at SOC below 10% and I've been driving for at least an hour and my battery is warmed up. Charging at the same DCFC station at a higher SOC, say 40%, I might only see 70 or 80kw.

Here is a chart from FastNed in the Netherlands. View attachment 5538

Here is a chart from FastNed in the Netherlands. View attachment 5538
Thanks @John Eh. I’ve seen the same curve a couple of times and the infamous Bjorn N’s 1000km test where he also gets 105kW in the early stages of charge. Totally understand the SoC and battery/ ambient temp influences. I’m just concerned that it may be specific to my vehicle. Retailer seems fairly clueless tbh. Hence the shout out to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Other than that, loving the car

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks @John Eh. I’ve seen the same curve a couple of times and the infamous Bjorn N’s 1000km test where he also gets 105kW in the early stages of charge. Totally understand the SoC and battery/ ambient temp influences. I’m just concerned that it may be specific to my vehicle. Retailer seems fairly clueless tbh. Hence the shout out to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Other than that, loving the car
I hope you get this sorted out. 50kw is "OK" when travelling on longer journeys, but 100kw is much much better!

·
Registered
50 Posts
RMA, key to achieve fast charging is the battery temp (not the outside temperature) and the SoC.
At 40% SoC your charging speed will be much faster if you started from 5% SoC that if you started at 39%... What did you try?

I doubt if you have a car-specific issue. Fast charging can be touchy, I hear. But I haven't heard of anybody who could charge at 50kW because of a problem with their car. Essentially it works, or it doesn't. Sometimes it works very poorly, like max 20kW. But 50kW does not seem to fall into that category.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, apparently a few 21MY cars are having issues with Charging Modules which are being replaced under warranty, this in turn appears to be fixing the issue.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
331 Posts
Thanks, apparently a few 21MY cars are having issues with Charging Modules which are being replaced under warranty, this in turn appears to be fixing the issue.
What are the symptoms of the issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Symptoms are charging at ca 50% of claimed charges rates when plugged in to reliable, high powered CCS Chargers (300kW+) dependent of SoC, this can be anywhere between 30-50kW

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had similar experiences with HPC chargers here in Germany, especially at colder temperatures even after driving to warm up the battery. However, last weekend we had warm temperatures, about 22C. We were on a longer trip and I arrived at an Ionity Tritium HPC charger with an SOC of about 18% having driven about 70 minutes at 130km/h. The initial charging rate was about 107 kW and it stayed above 100 until around 45% and then slowly reduced. It charged 41 kW in 30 minutes. I can live with that, but the lower temperature charging performance is not great. Being able to precondition the battery while driving in winter, or very hot days in summer, would be really useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts