1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
108 Posts
watch the I-Pace holds its own with track Porsche 911's.

I wonder if he was driving alone how much better he would keep up with them.
Okay, calm down. An iPace can't come close to a 911 and it's a goofy comparison. I've driven both extensively and yeah, no. For its size the iPace is mighty quick but a 911 is several ballparks quicker & faster.

Case in point.. there's a reason Jaguar offers an iPace as taxi car yet hasn't done an official time with it. It's definitely slower than every P Tesla and even the base Taycan.

I'm not taking away from the iPace but let's not get crazy here.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Okay, calm down. An iPace can't come close to a 911 and it's a goofy comparison. I've driven both extensively and yeah, no. For its size the iPace is mighty quick but a 911 is several ballparks quicker & faster.

Case in point.. there's a reason Jaguar offers an iPace as taxi car yet hasn't done an official time with it. It's definitely slower than every P Tesla and even the base Taycan.

I wasn't implying it's even close to a 911, but it was closer than I thought it would be on the video

·
Registered
70 Posts

The I-Pace would almost certainly be quicker around the ring than a Model S P100D. The Model S is not made for the track and while it would dash out ahead to begin with the I-Pace would catch up due to better sustained performance. The I-Pace motors could easily output more power but Jaguar wanted sustained performance and 0-100-0 Km/h x 10 times without power reduction. The Model S is tuned differently.

The "Plaid" driveline based Model S on the other hand will probably beat both the I-Pace and the Taycan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agreed that it was interesting but that was only so because of the weather.

Those are rear-wheel drive GT3RS Porsches being driven in the rain vs an AWD I-Pace. I imagine the Porsche drivers are accelerating gently to keep the tail under control given the traction conditions and to avoid damaging their very expensive (typically ~$250K) relatively rare toys. Until recently I had a turbocharged 2017 911S (2WD) and even with that you had to be reserved with the throttle in the wet. The GT3RS is far more powerful and stronger in the curves than that. On a dry track it is among the fastest cars on the ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts