Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Chicago where I’m eagerly awaiting arrival of my new 2019 SE, purchased out of state (I flew out for a weekend to drive it, finalize the paperwork and visit family) and being shipped as I write. I’m guessing that my I-Pace will be the first in Ravenswood as I have never actually seen one outside of a dealership- and I’m pretty car astute. Teslas abound in Chicagoland as do every make of upscale vehicle but not many Jags and certainly no I-Paces.

I’ve been one of those secret lurkers studying the forum for the past couple of months while doing exhaustive OCD level research elsewhere, devouring YouTube videos, reading any reviews I could find, and driving various EV’s and PHEV’s during lockdown (an essential service in IL). I had initially RULED OUT the I-Pace as I continued to see many used for sale online with LEMON/Buyback listed in their Carfax reports. It took a lot of brain overriding to proceed, accepting buying as an educated risk and wanting to be part of the EV movement (my green cred was just amped up) even as I acknowledge that RA (range anxiety) may likely take a few years off my life. I’ve driven a few cars recently borrowing a friend’s Model X over a very hot weekend last year and did not like it at all. I found the Audi Etron’s drive tantamount to floating on a cloud more than driving and could not get over the discrepancy of gorgeous interior (too luxe for my tastes) and the somehow strangely dated (IMO) bulbous exterior with its plastic looking ugly front grill. The Q5e and XC60T8 didn’t do much for me and I, like another member wrote, have a Chinese car aversion- especially at this price point even tho the XC60 I drove was apparently still made in Sweden.

I’ve numerous observations and even more questions after 2 test drives and 300 miles last weekend (no glitches!), some real issues with the dealership/sale along with questions and general worries about the car’s and JLR’s longevity- but obviously not enough to stop me from buying. Ultimately it came down to the I-Pace vs. one gas option (yes, I like way the Macan sits and handles), but my long time desire for electric fostered many years ago on a Volt test drive won out. Add exceptional design, torque and AWD and the decision was clear. I don’t need to tell anyone this car is a real stunner. I’ve been smitten from the first time I saw it and frankly a deep, deep discount helped seal the deal altho I had to fly 1000 miles for it.

The support, advocacy and enthusiasm shown in the forum helped propel my purchase along with the eagerness of members to readily offer advice and at times, empathy for problems encountered. From what I experienced at the dealership, I may know more about the car than the salesman who couldn’t show me much of anything, taking out his phone to pull up videos. This forum has and will be invaluable. I’ll offer whatever input I can and am certain that there will be a lot of (duh!) questions coming from me. I’m not a techie at all but am eager to learn and like number crunching and calculations so I’ll fit right in. So come tomorrow, my new I-Pace hopefully arrives as the rain clouds part and angelic singing commences. If not, at minimum, I’ll be pleased if there are no trips to the Jaguar service department for a long, long while. Unfettered optimism I realize…..

Cheers!
Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome-
for me taking the mind set that this is new age tech stuff, i expect glitchs, and there have been some, guess i am ok with being a guinea pig.... but this is a great car.
all my problems have been back round issues- connectivity and audio.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
182 Posts
Greetings from Chicago where I’m eagerly awaiting arrival of my new 2019 SE, purchased out of state (I flew out for a weekend to drive it, finalize the paperwork and visit family) and being shipped as I write. I’m guessing that my I-Pace will be the first in Ravenswood as I have never actually seen one outside of a dealership- and I’m pretty car astute. Teslas abound in Chicagoland as do every make of upscale vehicle but not many Jags and certainly no I-Paces.

I’ve been one of those secret lurkers studying the forum for the past couple of months while doing exhaustive OCD level research elsewhere, devouring YouTube videos, reading any reviews I could find, and driving various EV’s and PHEV’s during lockdown (an essential service in IL). I had initially RULED OUT the I-Pace as I continued to see many used for sale online with LEMON/Buyback listed in their Carfax reports. It took a lot of brain overriding to proceed, accepting buying as an educated risk and wanting to be part of the EV movement (my green cred was just amped up) even as I acknowledge that RA (range anxiety) may likely take a few years off my life. I’ve driven a few cars recently borrowing a friend’s Model X over a very hot weekend last year and did not like it at all. I found the Audi Etron’s drive tantamount to floating on a cloud more than driving and could not get over the discrepancy of gorgeous interior (too luxe for my tastes) and the somehow strangely dated (IMO) bulbous exterior with its plastic looking ugly front grill. The Q5e and XC60T8 didn’t do much for me and I, like another member wrote, have a Chinese car aversion- especially at this price point even tho the XC60 I drove was apparently still made in Sweden.

I’ve numerous observations and even more questions after 2 test drives and 300 miles last weekend (no glitches!), some real issues with the dealership/sale along with questions and general worries about the car’s and JLR’s longevity- but obviously not enough to stop me from buying. Ultimately it came down to the I-Pace vs. one gas option (yes, I like way the Macan sits and handles), but my long time desire for electric fostered many years ago on a Volt test drive won out. Add exceptional design, torque and AWD and the decision was clear. I don’t need to tell anyone this car is a real stunner. I’ve been smitten from the first time I saw it and frankly a deep, deep discount helped seal the deal altho I had to fly 1000 miles for it.

The support, advocacy and enthusiasm shown in the forum helped propel my purchase along with the eagerness of members to readily offer advice and at times, empathy for problems encountered. From what I experienced at the dealership, I may know more about the car than the salesman who couldn’t show me much of anything, taking out his phone to pull up videos. This forum has and will be invaluable. I’ll offer whatever input I can and am certain that there will be a lot of (duh!) questions coming from me. I’m not a techie at all but am eager to learn and like number crunching and calculations so I’ll fit right in. So come tomorrow, my new I-Pace hopefully arrives as the rain clouds part and angelic singing commences. If not, at minimum, I’ll be pleased if there are no trips to the Jaguar service department for a long, long while. Unfettered optimism I realize…..

Cheers!
Steve
Thanks Steve. A lot of what you say above is exactly where I am. Deep immersion in everything I-Pace. Spending countless hours going through the Jaguar website and looking for that correct trim level and options at every dealer within 1000 miles. (I may expand my search! :eek:) Scanning and interviewing out of state dealerships for who has the best price. I'm going to need a vacation when this is over! And hopefully a great car too. 🤞

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
279 Posts
Greetings from Chicago where I’m eagerly awaiting arrival of my new 2019 SE ...

Cheers!
Steve
Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy your choice. Please post a pic of your new Kitty.

You seemed to have done the major legwork at this point and know were you stand. I'm sure you'll have questions the forum can (cannot) answer - either way you will learn a little more about your I-Pace. There is a tremendous amount of info buried in these threads.

I too stalked the forum for months before jumping in with a photon red FE. I love mine, and expect you will love yours.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Welcome Steve, what a great intro! There's a lot to configure in the car, both in terms of options to purchase and in terms of setting it up once you have it, so slightly OCD is a good thing :cool:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Welcome, Steve, and congratulations on your purchase! You've come to a great forum, a place that helped me immensely as a new owner 12 months ago. I'm raising a Guinness in your honor and here's to years of trouble free driving!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts