Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Been lurking as a guest the past couple of weeks. Just recently started researching EVs and the I-Pace definitely has my attention. I’m not in the market just yet, but the short time I’ve been researching has really opened my eyes (and mind) to the possibilities of EV ownership. I want to thank members in advance for the valuable information shared here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello All,

Been lurking as a guest the past couple of weeks. Just recently started researching EVs and the I-Pace definitely has my attention. I’m not in the market just yet, but the short time I’ve been researching has really opened my eyes (and mind) to the possibilities of EV ownership. I want to thank members in advance for the valuable information shared here.
Welcome, Asindc. I can't recommend one car over another because I don't know your preferences or requirements but switching to an EV will make it likely that you'll never want an internal combustion engine car again. Take a close look at the I-Pace because it's a fantastic drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll second CurtSprings - I've had an I-Pace for almost 2 months and now when I drive an ICE car it feels... wrong. The sensation of a transmission shifting gears makes me uncomfortable (with the exception of sporty manuals that I will always love). Drove my wife's GLE to be serviced this morning and it was like "what fresh **** is this?"
:smile2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll second CurtSprings - I've had an I-Pace for almost 2 months and now when I drive an ICE car it feels... wrong. The sensation of a transmission shifting gears makes me uncomfortable (with the exception of sporty manuals that I will always love). Drove my wife's GLE to be serviced this morning and it was like "what fresh **** is this?"
:smile2:
Yup. A little over a month with mine and it is like going to the first talking movie. You realize this is the start of a real change.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Echoing everyone else: Once you go EV, it's curtains for ICE.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh yeah, very enthusiastic endorsement for EVs (and the I-Pace in particular).

Smooth effortless (and very quick) acceleration. Easy over-night recharging at home (full tank every morning, if you like).

No noise, vibration, or smelly exhaust.

For the I-Pace, first scheduled maintenance visit is at 21,000 miles! No oil changes, no filters, no belts, no spark plugs, no muffler, no complex fuel injection system or transmission.

The EV driving and ownership experience is so so beautiful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just watch a few YouTube reviews and when the driver "hammers it" or "gives it the beans" they all laugh and have big grins. I would recommend a test drive.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's what I like about EVs:

It refuels while I sleep. I wake up with a full tank anytime I want. People talk about EVs taking 45 minutes to charge on the road every 150 miles or so, but for most of your driving EVs take LESS time to refuel, which is virtually zero. How much time I have spent fueling my I-Pace this month? 0 minutes. Not critical, but how much $ per 1,000 miles? $0.00 if fueled at work. $.04/mile if fueled at home, or $40.00.

Gobs of torque. The power is right where you need it the most for public roads. Puts a grin on your face.

You can run the A/C or heater in a closed garage. Remote starting is a natural and a given.

No emissions checks. Ever. Big power, no worries.

No oil changes or significant maintenance. Brakes tend to last a VERY long time if the car has blended brakes.

Low CG and the handling advantages that come with it.

----------------------------

Why the I-Pace? For me, it is the most advanced and comfortable EV to date. Just the right blend of luxury, performance, size, and price. I never considered a "Crossover/CUV/SUV" before. The I-Pace handles and feels like a 4,000lb performance sedan, with plenty of room in the back seats for full sized adults, and enough cargo capacity for runs to the airport or trips home from Costco. While I have not used the Snow/Ice/Dirt/Sand systems, it's nice to know it has them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My local dealer (Penske/Cerritos Jaguar) has $699/month lease on an "S" I-Pace. However, the total miles is only 22,500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m also considering the Audi e-Tron Sportback (when it arrives) and the Porsche Taycan (if they release a hatchback version within the next year). I looked at the Tesla offerings, but the interiors on their cars are very uninspiring to me.

I don’t see myself having range anxiety as much as infrastructure anxiety. 200 miles, give or take, is fine since I can always rent a car for long distance trips, but charging times at public charging stations really need to be improved. What is the hold up in terms of installing new higher speed stations or upgrading existing stations?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I’m also considering the Audi e-Tron Sportback (when it arrives) and the Porsche Taycan (if they release a hatchback version within the next year). I looked at the Tesla offerings, but the interiors on their cars are very uninspiring to me.

I don’t see myself having range anxiety as much as infrastructure anxiety. 200 miles, give or take, is fine since I can always rent a car for long distance trips, but charging times at public charging stations really need to be improved. What is the hold up in terms of installing new higher speed stations or upgrading existing stations?
Here's comparo:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

DCFC support is very location dependent in North America. Even for Tesla. Tesla has the widest coverage, but SAE Combo (CCS) has the most locations. This is because CCS supports cars with under 100 miles of range, and Tesla has no such product. So CCS locations are dense in urban areas, and sparse in 'flyover' country.

So where are you driving?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m in the Wash DC area, so really no concerns about finding stations. Finding fast charging stations, on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I’m in the Wash DC area, so really no concerns about finding stations. Finding fast charging stations, on the other hand...
With the I-Pace you will always be using SAE Combo (CCS) locations. They charge at either 24kW, 50kW, or >100kW. The I-Pace averages about 77 kW during a session when you are on the road. So there is an advantage using the 150/350kW sites. If the cost per mile is important, you'll want to stick to the 50kW chargers, since most the CCS3 (>100kW) stations are Electrify America, and they just raised their rates for power over 75kW peak rate.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This link will show you all of the Electrify America locations - they are all 150kW or greater. Be sure to note the difference between Live and Coming Soon. There are about 250 locations currently live and another 200 identified as Coming Soon.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger

The only live site in the DC area is in Reston, VA which happens to be where the EA headquarters is located.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This link will show you all of the Electrify America locations - they are all 150kW or greater. Be sure to note the difference between Live and Coming Soon. There are about 250 locations currently live and another 200 identified as Coming Soon.

The only live site in the DC area is in Reston, VA which happens to be where the EA headquarters is located.
There are well over 100 CCS chargers in a 100 mile radius of Washington DC. 11 are active EA sites. Normally you leave home charged so you don't charge anywhere near DC.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am also on NoVa/DC/MD area and there are tons of 50 KW fast charging options around. In MD they are becoming very common in Royal Farms. VA is sadly more sparse for fast chargers, but as people have pointed out you won’t need them unless you are on a road trip away from home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yes, I’ve seen that map, thanks for linking to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the I-Pace you will always be using SAE Combo (CCS) locations. They charge at either 24kW, 50kW, or >100kW. The I-Pace averages about 77 kW during a session when you are on the road. So there is an advantage using the 150/350kW sites. If the cost per mile is important, you'll want to stick to the 50kW chargers, since most the CCS3 (>100kW) stations are Electrify America, and they just raised their rates for power over 75kW peak rate.
Thanks for this. It is my understanding that EA stations are established from the Volkswagen Dieselgate settlement. Will VW/Audi/Porsche owners get discounts? BTW, I’m aware of the 3-years-free charging for Porsche Taycan owners.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts