Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attached bulletin popped up on topix overnight for my 2020 I-Pace. It's instructions for setting up and using a JLR Dashcam. See attached.
This is the first I've ever encountered this, and I'm not sure if it's a dealer installed option or something that is coming on new vehicles? It's interesting that it popped up as applicable to my 2020, which makes me think it's the former. Curious if anyone here has heard anything about a factory dashcam.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Interesting. I installed a Garmin Speak Plus camera on mine. So now, I have Alexa in the car, too. I am using the OBD-II port as a source of power. Makes for an easy and clean install.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
2019 HSE
37 Posts
Interesting. I installed a Garmin Speak Plus camera on mine. So now, I have Alexa in the car, too. I am using the OBD-II port as a source of power. Makes for an east and clean install.
Where did you run the power cord? And did you do it or have it installed by an expert of some sort.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Silly question for those of you in the know regarding dashcams:
For a car with multiple cameras already installed why would JLR bother with an official JLR dashcam. Surely the software can be modified (by JLR) to direct stream one of the camera feeds to a storage device

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Silly question for those of you in the know regarding dashcams:
For a car with multiple cameras already installed why would JLR bother with an official JLR dashcam. Surely the software can be modified (by JLR) to direct stream one of the camera feeds to a storage device
I’ve often wondered about that too. Certainly Tesla can make it work in their cars. It doesn’t seem like rocket science.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Don't know if this is important in real life, but there's a difference between the forward camera mounted in grille vs a dashcam. A dashcam gives the perspective of the driver; the forward camera does not.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Don't know if this is important in real life, but there's a difference between the forward camera mounted in grille vs a dashcam. A dashcam gives the perspective of the driver; the forward camera does not.
And all the car's cameras would give a 360 degree perspective of what's happening around the driver.

Just to qualify that statement: Never used a dashcam: Never felt a need for one. Thus, just asking why can the car's cameras not be used. Legal? Software limitations? Just don't understand the logic of an officially licensed dashcam for a vehicle with more cameras than I really need to start with.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It’s must be legal or otherwise Tesla wouldn’t have it operational in all 50 states. I’ve never heard of it being being intentionally crippled in other countries either.

As a result of the Teslacam recording capabilities on all sides of the car, criminals have been apprehended, car keyers identified and accident causations determined. It’s a real plus IMO. I relied on it all time in my MS.

Perhaps it’s a software limitation in our kitties. Let’s face it, software is not JLR’s strong point. ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Where did you run the power cord? And did you do it or have it installed by an expert of some sort.
I ran the cord along the top of the windshield down the A-pillar then to the OBD port. I just shimmied the cable along the sides of the A pilar and rubber gasket. Not hard at all.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
315 Posts
It’s must be legal or otherwise Tesla wouldn’t have it operational in all 50 states. I’ve never heard of it being being intentionally crippled in other countries either.

As a result of the Teslacam recording capabilities on all sides of the car, criminals have been apprehended, car keyers identified and accident causations determined. It’s a real plus IMO. I relied on it all time in my MS.

Perhaps it’s a software limitation in our kitties. Let’s face it, software is not JLR’s strong point. ;)
Isn't it more likely to be a processing and upload bandwidth issue. There would be a lot of processing to handle multiple high quality video streams and pretty high upload bandwidth or additional processing to compress the feed, so unless you design this in from the get go I can understand why its difficult to deliver.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Isn't it more likely to be a processing and upload bandwidth issue. There would be a lot of processing to handle multiple high quality video streams and pretty high upload bandwidth or additional processing to compress the feed, so unless you design this in from the get go I can understand why its difficult to deliver.
Absolutely, you could be right and that could be another explanation.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts