Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all. I have just placed an order for an SE Black UK spec with some additional features such as the clear view mirror thing. A car with such poor rear visibility and no rear window wiper needs all the help it can get. This is ordered through NHS Fleet Solutions in the UK.

I did have a Q4 50 Sportback on order... or so I thought but it seems the lease company did not place the order with Audi. So as I needed a replacement lease by July-Aug I was left looking for cars with a still reasonable turnaround. The Q4 is now on 10-12 months waiting lists.

Now it may look like I am having take a car I didn't want but this is not true at all. When I ordered the Q4 back in Sept 2021, the I-Pace seemed quite a bit more expensive to order. So I ruled out the I-Pace on price alone. But it seemed on salary sacrifice leasing here in the UK, you need to actually go up the spec to get them cheaper (to do with risidual value). So an HSE Black, or Black edition were cheaper than a basic S model by a significant amount. This put the I-Pace well inside my budget for monthly salary sacrifice leasing.

On to the useful information.

A bit of forum searching and chatting with my local Jaguar dealership ensured me that an I-Pace turnaround from order to delivery was around 7 months. Though only if you spec the right model and avoid certain tick boxes on the spec sheet.

I currently drive an E-Tron 50 with air suspension. I test drove an SE Black edition with standard coil springs and 20" alloys and sports seats. I found it very comfortable, even over bad road surfaces and a very nice premium feel to the cabin. Overall a more premium feel compared to the Q4 but the Q4 was still very nice. A bit stiffer than the E-Tron 50 but not in an uncomortable way. The sport seats were supportive and I had no issues adjusting for comfort.
  1. I was informed that if I wanted to ensure a more prompt delivery I should avoid the HSE edition as it has a much longer delivery time.
  2. Car won't come with a HUD but this doesn't bother me.
  3. Don't spec the 360 cameras as they will either not be delivered or will seriously impact delivery times.
  4. You can save a fair whack of money by leaving out the air suspension and performance seats IMHO. the standard coils springs and Sport seats are perfectly comfortable.

·
Registered
191 Posts
welcome!

You seem to have a very helpful dealer! I have a 22 on order in the US that the dealer specced out and they avoided the HUD bc of the chips/parts. Haven’t heard about surround cameras being affected as well. Hopefully yours will arrive on time!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
854 Posts
HI all. I have just placed an order for an SE Black UK spec with some additional features such as the clear view mirror thing. A car with such poor rear visibility and no rear window wiper needs all the help it can get. This is ordered through NHS Fleet Solutions in the UK.

I did have a Q4 50 Sportback on order... or so I thought but it seems the lease company did not place the order with Audi. So as I needed a replacement lease by July-Aug I was left looking for cars with a still reasonable turnaround. The Q4 is now on 10-12 months waiting lists.

Now it may look like I am having take a car I didn't want but this is not true at all. When I ordered the Q4 back in Sept 2021, the I-Pace seemed quite a bit more expensive to order. So I ruled out the I-Pace on price alone. But it seemed on salary sacrifice leasing here in the UK, you need to actually go up the spec to get them cheaper (to do with risidual value). So an HSE Black, or Black edition were cheaper than a basic S model by a significant amount. This put the I-Pace well inside my budget for monthly salary sacrifice leasing.

On to the useful information.

A bit of forum searching and chatting with my local Jaguar dealership ensured me that an I-Pace turnaround from order to delivery was around 7 months. Though only if you spec the right model and avoid certain tick boxes on the spec sheet.

I currently drive an E-Tron 50 with air suspension. I test drove an SE Black edition with standard coil springs and 20" alloys and sports seats. I found it very comfortable, even over bad road surfaces and a very nice premium feel to the cabin. Overall a more premium feel compared to the Q4 but the Q4 was still very nice. A bit stiffer than the E-Tron 50 but not in an uncomortable way. The sport seats were supportive and I had no issues adjusting for comfort.
  1. I was informed that if I wanted to ensure a more prompt delivery I should avoid the HSE edition as it has a much longer delivery time.
  2. Car won't come with a HUD but this doesn't bother me.
  3. Don't spec the 360 cameras as they will either not be delivered or will seriously impact delivery times.
  4. You can save a fair whack of money by leaving out the air suspension and performance seats IMHO. the standard coils springs and Sport seats are perfectly comfortable.
Interesting flow of logic. You were initially concerned that the price was too high on an S, but working the system the HSE was cheaper than an S. But since the HSE was going to be problematic for a 7month delivery, you went with the SE?
My understanding regarding the HSE is that many of the standard features are those effected by the chip shortage, at least in the US.
Regarding rear visibility, I've driven 25k miles over the past 28months and have no problem with visibility. The 360 cameras and the sensors are more than adequate. Regarding the lack of a rear wiper, I've never looked in the rear view mirror and not been able to see out of the rear window. My East coast US weather is very similar to the UK, with a little more extremes thrown in (heavier snow fall, torrential rain, occasional colder temps), and visibility has not been a problem (perhaps I should pay more attention to what I've passed rather than what I'm about to hit/pass).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting flow of logic. You were initially concerned that the price was too high on an S, but working the system the HSE was cheaper than an S. But since the HSE was going to be problematic for a 7month delivery, you went with the SE?
My understanding regarding the HSE is that many of the standard features are those effected by the chip shortage, at least in the US.
Regarding rear visibility, I've driven 25k miles over the past 28months and have no problem with visibility. The 360 cameras and the sensors are more than adequate. Regarding the lack of a rear wiper, I've never looked in the rear view mirror and not been able to see out of the rear window. My East coast US weather is very similar to the UK, with a little more extremes thrown in (heavier snow fall, torrential rain, occasional colder temps), and visibility has not been a problem (perhaps I should pay more attention to what I've passed rather than what I'm about to hit/pass).
Yes it does defy logic :)

I tried the basic S for price on salary sacrifice about 4 months ago and it was way more than I liked. So I naturally assumed going up to the Black SE or HSE would be even more expensive. So fast forward 4 months and my Q4 non-order was noticed and I now had to look at cars that could be deliverd in 7 months (hopefully).

I checked the NHS Fleet Solutions web site again but just for giggles I put in the HSE Black edition and the price went down significantly. So I tried tried the Black Edition SE and it was marginally cheaper again. So I was ready to order the HSE because the extra £25 per month seemed worth it but wanted to do a test drive first.

It was after the test drive that I was told by my helpful Jaguar dealer, that the SE Black edition had shorter wait times than the HSE, so that made my mind up. The only loss is the touch screen on the HVAC, matrix lights and the cooled seats and some driver safety features.

I went with the clear view rear mirror camera as the 360 cameras are not an option.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Jaguar priced their lease deal funny. You find some fully “loaded” 2019/20 SE here in the US because the lease residuals were so much better for the SE compared to the HSE. So people loaded up an SE instead of opting for the HSE if they didn’t want all the extras that came with an HSE to save some money.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
345 Posts
Air suspension is what makes the car so versatile and with AD what makes it great to drive, you save cost but lose out n what makes the car so good. The clearview mirror is great but only addresses part of the problem, whilst I would only buy any car with a 360 camera, it is particularly important on the ipace where the sensors are a bit melodramatic and manoeuvring visibility without a 360 camera is very poor.

I would suggest that not having a 360 camera will lead to additional costs in the future or much trickier and more cautious manoeuvring (part of the problem is that the passenger side body work often appears to be much closer to making contact with surroundings than is really the case (the 360 cam view surprises me even after 15 months with situations where I will not hit a nearby object despite it looking purely visually or from sensor feedback as if you will hit it).

There are some compromises you simply should not make.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have liked the 360 cameras but they are not deal breakers as the cars I have tried them on where nice, but not must haves IMHO.

As for the air suspension, not sure I would say it makes such a massive difference that you are making out. I am coming from a car that has air suspension and found the stock suspension perfectly fine to better or worse degrees in the Q4, EV6, Mach-E and other SUV style EVs I tested recently. I mean none of them were horrible with stock or sport suspension setups. Though obvioulsy each to their own.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
345 Posts
I would have liked the 360 cameras but they are not deal breakers as the cars I have tried them on where nice, but not must haves IMHO.

As for the air suspension, not sure I would say it makes such a massive difference that you are making out. I am coming from a car that has air suspension and found the stock suspension perfectly fine to better or worse degrees in the Q4, EV6, Mach-E and other SUV style EVs I tested recently. I mean none of them were horrible with stock or sport suspension setups. Though obvioulsy each to their own.
The Etron starts with more of an SUV form (higher suspension and body) so you need to put the iPace into off-road height (only possible with air suspension) to be equivalent. Without air suspension it is really just a hatchback car without real off-road capability I think.

I also thought the Etron had magnetic rather than air suspension which is different isn't it? May be wrong about that but that's what I understood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Etron starts with more of an SUV form (higher suspension and body) so you need to put the iPace into off-road height (only possible with air suspension) to be equivalent. Without air suspension it is really just a hatchback car without real off-road capability I think.

I also thought the Etron had magnetic rather than air suspension which is different isn't it? May be wrong about that but that's what I understood.
E-Tron is air suspension and in dynamic it becomes quite firm. In fact I preffer to set the dynamics to individual with comfort steering and sport suspenion to firm the ride up a bit. I know the E-Tron is quite a bit different to the I-Pace but really my point is that (for my tastes), the stock I-Pace suspension was perfectly fine even on 20" wheels. I asked if the car I just test drove was on air I was genuinely surprised to be told it was on standard coil springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts