Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...have had my new 2020 HSE with only 4000 miles and hit a deer tonight. Could have been worse, but the front end is pretty tore up, even the hood won’t open. Car still drives and no damage beyond the really tore up front end and hood (which I think is bent).

Anyway, I’m concernd that if my insurance company doesn’t total the car, and they try to fix it, that it won’t ever work the same. Its been perfect for me until this point - no issues, not buggy. But now I”m worried I’ll be dealing with gremlins even if its repaired. It was fullly loaded so I‘m concerned about all the driver assistance features, etc.

Has anyone else had experience with front end collisions and repair costs? How likely is it to reach close to being totaled?

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Oh bummer, so sorry!!!

My initial thought is that there's a very good chance that the damage may not affect the car's driving functions. Maybe it's just easily fixed body damage. 🍺

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
Got pictures? It probably won't get totaled for cosmetic damage (bumper, grille, hood). Severe structural damage would be where the line is drawn on such a new vehicle.
Does it have adaptive cruise control? Just have to make sure the growler emblem is replaced with the correct one/transferred to replacement grille (if necessary). It has the radar for the ACC.
Hood latching might just be jammed due something else. Pictures would help with assessment.
How are the headlights? Working or broken?

Sorry to read this. I hope it works out OK. .

·
Registered
2020 S
109 Posts
Luckily with the age and mileage your state laws will probably require the insurance company to pay for new parts instead of used parts. Even if your state doesn't require that there's probably not much for used or aftermarket parts available, so they'll have to use JLR parts anyway. Your insurance company may also guarantee the repairs if you use one of their preferred shops - something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yikes!! Good luck, man. Hope it's just cosmetic and easily fixable. Deer roam our streets like cats and dogs in my neighbourhood. I haven't hit one yet, but there are deer getting hit every week around here...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Best of luck, glad you weren't hurt. I put a special military-grade infrared camera in my XKR for just that reason then never saw one deer with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A few years back our son wrecked a virtually new wife's car. I was absolutely certain it was totaled. The entire front end was almost flush with the base of the windshield. The insurance company AND the dealership both said, "Not a problem. It'll be A-OK." I was NOT convinced but didn't know what to do except accept the repair and then take whatever action was necessary, after-the-fact. Surprise! It was as good as new! Couldn't believe it. And, it remained trouble-free for the next 2-3 years when we traded it in for a new one. So, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So...have had my new 2020 HSE with only 4000 miles and hit a deer tonight. Could have been worse, but the front end is pretty tore up, even the hood won’t open. Car still drives and no damage beyond the really tore up front end and hood (which I think is bent).

Anyway, I’m concernd that if my insurance company doesn’t total the car, and they try to fix it, that it won’t ever work the same. Its been perfect for me until this point - no issues, not buggy. But now I”m worried I’ll be dealing with gremlins even if its repaired. It was fullly loaded so I‘m concerned about all the driver assistance features, etc.

Has anyone else had experience with front end collisions and repair costs? How likely is it to reach close to being totaled?
Did the autonomous braking kick in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still waiting to hear about it being totaled, but we are up to 30k so far in repairs...interesting enough the frame wasn’t hurt at all. I will say this, it was the “softest“ felt impact of any i’ve ever had. I wasn’t even sure there would be damage until I got out of the car and looked. Point is..was amazed at how well the car distributed the impacts energy away from those of us in the cab.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With no frame damage, I'm betting you'll be A-Okay. $30K sounds like a lot but on a new vehicle, that's as pricy as your I'Pace, it's actually not very much. I.e. Relatively minor damage. Here's wishing you the best!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts