Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,248 Posts
Member dernotte put together this helpful tool https://ipace.herokuapp.com/static/param.html
It retrieves the values from the Jaguar servers. Dealers can retrieve more by direct interface to the car.
All of the EV_RANGE values are important here, along with EV_STATE_OF_CHARGE
EV_RANGE_VSC_REVISED_HV_BATT_ENERGYx100 is the value WattCat shows as the charged capacity.
EV_CHARGING_RATE values would be of interest too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is incredibly helpful. Thanks very much to all who have responded. I think I need to have ammunition in the form of data before I call for another appointment, so I am going to document the power usage and charge over the next couple of weeks and see if it helps to get the dealer on board. I can't believe that a battery check could be that expensive for the dealer, but even though I am a motorhead in more traditional automotives, I have no actual knowledge of the process required. I should be as sure as I can about the fault, and try again to try to work with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Member dernotte put together this helpful tool https://ipace.herokuapp.com/static/param.html
It retrieves the values from the Jaguar servers. Dealers can retrieve more by direct interface to the car.
All of the EV_RANGE values are important here, along with EV_STATE_OF_CHARGE
EV_RANGE_VSC_REVISED_HV_BATT_ENERGYx100 is the value WattCat shows as the charged capacity.
EV_CHARGING_RATE values would be of interest too.
I'm not sure how this works - there is an email and password requirement when I follow the link. Do I need to sign up somewhere?
Also, I'll post back whenever I have more to report.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Same login as the Jaguar InControl Remote app. It just passes that through to Jaguar servers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm not sure how this works - there is an email and password requirement when I follow the link. Do I need to sign up somewhere?
Also, I'll post back whenever I have more to report.
At 51kWh your max range is about 100 miles to be safe. It may be higher but I wouldn't push it too far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, I carefully logged every trip that I made since my previous posts, drawing my GOM "range" down to 36 miles from a start of 209 miles. According to the odometer, I actually went 104 miles, which is about 60% of predicted. This was conservative around town and rural driving with high regenerative braking, Eco, and A/c. If you factory the remaining 36 miles at 60% credit, my total range would have been 126 miles, not very good. On WattCat, my charge figure was again right at 51KWh. Now am I correct that this is the amount that my charger replaced when I plugged it in, rather than total capacity? After the charge, my range on the GOM is 208 miles.

I did place a call to the service manager of my dealership last week, got voice mail, and politely asked for a return call, stating that I wasn't satisfied with the recent service and would like to know what data they would require from me to substantiate testing the batteries on my I-Pace. As of today, no reply.

I haven't yet tried to use the data retrieval tool - I just recovered my access to Jaguar In-Control and will do so soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Ignore the GoM. Noodle the battery down to 5% or so and keep recording trips. Then charge. See my post above for details. Or just make a real stink at the dealer, they'll cave eventually and will run a battery test, at which point they'll have to admit that your battery is bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, so I should have drawn it down a bit farther. I've re-read your earlier post and will try to do the next one more as you said. One issue I have is that my Bosch home charger is older, installed 2013, and doesn't have a readout for charge data. So, I can't tell how many KWh it just charged. I think that the number WattCat is giving is that number - please confirm for me if true.
Also, the %charge seems to parallel the GOM range number, so I am distrustful of the number. My final %charge number was 23% at 36 miles remaining range. x.60, that would translate to 24 residual miles, which is about 11% of the original estimated range of 209 miles. I'm probably over-complicating this, but with my falling range, I was a bit nervous about getting stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
822 Posts
On WattCat, my charge figure was again right at 51KWh. Now am I correct that this is the amount that my charger replaced when I plugged it in, rather than total capacity?
WattCat is displaying your total capacity and not what the charger added. It may be off by a couple of kW but is pretty close.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just had my car towed to the dealer on the 1st of June with similar symptoms.
As soon as I hear something regarding the battery, I will post to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I called the service department again this morning and relayed the new information. This time, the service adviser (a different one) told me that they did check the batteries before and found no problem. She was very nice and agreed that they needed to check it again, so made an appointment for that. It will be a couple weeks since I'm going out of town, but I'll report back when I know more. It would be interesting to know what percentage of I-Pace batteries are failing. From reading these postings, it seems common, but that could well be selection bias.

Thank you CurtSprings2 - helpful.
Meldev##44 - good luck with that and would appreciate hearing back from you.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Given that people post mostly when they have problems, the number of failures cannot be determined here. If you count the number of posts of failed batteries or cells within batteries and compare it to the number of cars sold world-wide, you'd come up with a small percentage. But then not everyone owning I-PACEs post here.

I hope they get to the root of the problem. It could be one or more bad cells within the traction battery, or the charging equipment on the vehicle not properly charging them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm giving follow-up here. The car goes back to the dealership today. I wrote up a summary of my data collection for the service department and will paste it here. I think some of it will sound familiar, but I'm interested in other's experience.

"When my I-Pace was in the Jaguar Tacoma service department recently, you found no problems and suggested that I drive with high regenerative braking as well as turn off the anti-creep function. I did so, and all subsequent trips have been in “ECO” mode. Most of my driving has been in town trips, and those on the road have mostly been under 60mph.

I’ve kept a driving log and a summary follows.

Ist drive:

Fully charged with 51Kw

Starting range 209m – ending range 36m = 173 miles

Actual distance traveled by odometer 19225 - 19121 = 104 miles

Recharged with 51.45 Kw

2nd drive 6/2 - 6/11:

Range 208 – 8 = 200

Actual distance traveled 19337 – 19225 = 112 miles

Plugged in to charge overnight, but charging stopped at 52 miles range. The next morning, it restarted when I opened the door, seemed to “wake” the system. I could only charge to 77% (range 155 miles) because I needed to use the car.

Recharge was 36.4 Kw

3rd drive 6/11 – 6/12:

Range 155 – 0 = 155 miles

Actual 19436 – 19337 = 99 miles

This was really a problem drive. I intentionally used up most of the range because I wanted to see how much charging it would take. I intended to draw the battery down to about 10 miles range. When I was 2 miles from home, I showed 12 miles of range, but it rapidly decreased and went to zero in my driveway, giving me “very low battery” warnings and turning off the center display screen. I thought I might need a tow!

When I recharged the car, it stopped at 2 miles range. When I “woke” the car it charged to 6 miles. It stopped at 54 miles again. Finally, it went to full charge at 212 miles. The total charge was only 49.1Kw. I’ve not yet driven it again.

What I see is maximum charging of 49-51Kw which is far less than what it should be. My references say that this is a 90Kw battery bank and that I should see capacity in the 84-87 Kw range, which I am clearly not getting. I’m guessing that a significant number of the 30 cells in my battery bank have gone bad, which probably happened just before my previous service visit, and would explain the sudden drop in range that I previously reported. Currently, I don’t feel the car is trustworthy."

I'll report again when I have an assessment from the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm following up on my earlier post. I'm afraid it's not too encouraging. The dealer has had my car for the past one month, making a total of 5 out of the last 8 weeks in the shop. They initially found no problem with the car or the batteries. They said on recheck that the 30 batteries were all within specs, 97% of predicted. We both felt that they should drive the car to see if they saw the same problems that I did, and to their credit, they found those same problems (as best I can tell from limited technical information they will tell me) - much less than predicted range, low total capacity, erratic estimate of range when the charge was low, unpredictable pauses in charging. So they don't know what is wrong and are looking for technical support from Europe, which they say from their past experience can take "considerable" time, i.e. weeks. Their service advisor says that their technician thinks they will have to drop the battery pack for more testing. I do now have an I-Pace loaner, but I'm becoming pessimistic about whether they can fix the car. I am trying to be patient, but starting to think about whether Lemon laws will have to be invoked here, or even whether to trade it for something else. While it has some limitations, I do like the car and there really isn't another out there that I want.
Any helpful ideas here?

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
It's personal preference I suppose. When my first I-Pace was lemon-lawable, even after they fixed the battery to about 90%, I went ahead and pursued it and prevailed.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Smitty, suggest they check the BCCM software is up-to-date and run diagnostic procedures for it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts