Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

New CEO for JLR

8K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Snowflake 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It seems mind-blowingly obvious that Jaguar should become the performance EV-only division of JLR. The brand is too important to not risk that strategy. For a minor luxury player with Jaguar's traditional portfolio and conceit ("performance") to be competing in ICE land against bigger and better rivals is a lost proposition. They should compete in EV land where (1) performance matters, (2) Jaguar arguably has a potential experience advantage due to the I-Pace, and (3) the competitors, German traditional luxury brands, are still flailing.

#12 ·
Given the rate of places planning to ban the sale of petrol and diesel powered vehicles by 2030+, there is no choice but to continue BEV development. TATA is being pressured by India's government to produce BEVs for their home market, too.

Jaguar as provided them a R&D division for them work out all the considerations of BEVs. It's a low volume manufacturer so they're not facing a really big problem if something doesn't work.

I'd really like more info on the XJ. That vehicle has to come out of gate facing the S performance/long range versions as well as the new contenders in that space. It won't sell with the range of the I-PACE, or slow charging speeds.

The XE and XF are too similar and the only thing separating them in the US market is price. Lack of advertising hasn't helped them. Poor MPG isn't going to sell in their price range. There are too many competitive models that do better. A coworker bought a '17 XE because he could get the diesel engine for better MPG. He would not have bought a petrol model.

Some rationalization of what they are offering in the various markets is needed, and overhaul the advertising to get the word out about what they offer. There are a lot of people in the US with the mindset that Jaguar cars are exotic, really expensive, sports cars. That image doesn't fit the XE and XF models.

They either have to be an upmarket, low volume, seller completely, or fix the problems facing bringing their products to the lower and middle market buyers. Products for TATA home market should be developed with an eye to being able to market them in other countries, yes, even under the Jaguar brand as a lower cost models.

That's just my opinion. Yours will probably be different.

#13 ·
Given the rate of places planning to ban the sale of petrol and diesel powered vehicles by 2030+, there is no choice but to continue BEV development. TATA is being pressured by India's government to produce BEVs for their home market, too.

Jaguar as provided them a R&D division for them work out all the considerations of BEVs. It's a low volume manufacturer so they're not facing a really big problem if something doesn't work.

I'd really like more info on the XJ. That vehicle has to come out of gate facing the S performance/long range versions as well as the new contenders in that space. It won't sell with the range of the I-PACE, or slow charging speeds.

The XE and XF are too similar and the only thing separating them in the US market is price. Lack of advertising hasn't helped them. Poor MPG isn't going to sell in their price range. There are too many competitive models that do better. A coworker bought a '17 XE because he could get the diesel engine for better MPG. He would not have bought a petrol model.

Some rationalization of what they are offering in the various markets is needed, and overhaul the advertising to get the word out about what they offer. There are a lot of people in the US with the mindset that Jaguar cars are exotic, really expensive, sports cars. That image doesn't fit the XE and XF models.

They either have to be an upmarket, low volume, seller completely, or fix the problems facing bringing their products to the lower and middle market buyers. Products for TATA home market should be developed with an eye to being able to market them in other countries, yes, even under the Jaguar brand as a lower cost models.

That's just my opinion. Yours will probably be different.
I agree. JLR needs to develop out their EV strategy and share R&D with Land Rover. Land Rover needs to be electrified no matter what.
No one can escape the regulations

#14 ·
If jag built a smaller size BEV sports car or coupe it might sell well. I love my Ipace, but it's a second car in our household with a LR4 as the family hauler. I would have bought a smaller, more aerodynamic sports car or sedan/coupe if it was available. Might have had better range with smaller battery. Ipace is a bit of jack of all trades as a CUV but i actually didnt need it to be when i was looking for a new car.

#18 ·
News from the CEO

Some quotes:

"A “permanently and significantly updated” I-Pace SUV will be the only Jaguar to survive into the new generation of models due from 2025, but it will be considered separately to the firm’s new-generation cars."

"“Today, when you listen to customers, they see [a Jaguar], like the car and test the car, and they still go and buy an Audi or a BMW. That’s the problem. People buy the originals, then. We aren’t the originals. We have to get the positioning of Jaguar much different, higher and more original.”

#19 ·
Well a number of foundations need to be laid now if this upmarket push is to be more than a pipedream. People laying out a lot of money want a good reliable product and great service available when needed not endless niggles and 2month waits to address those niggles when they arise.

Get the basics right before shooting for the moon would be my advice.

#23 ·
Another quote from another article :

"Bolloré is a big enthusiast of the pioneering I-Pace EV, which has admittedly been labelled an SUV but is really a crossover. He drives and enjoys one and told his audience the car had a lot of potential. He believes it could be made “better and better”."

#24 ·
News from the CEO

“It’s correct to think of the I-Pace as a bridging car. I’ve got a 2021 model that I use every day and I think it’s a fantastic car. We will keep developing it over the next few years, and it will still be around in 2025, although it won’t be part of the new model portfolio.”

#29 ·
Interesting that they felt the need to build their own platform. From their brand history I don’t necessarily think this is good thing.

I’m not an expert on platforms. I wonder why they decided to do this.

#35 ·
Seems you guys missed the news.
Jaguar has announced that they will develop their own bespoke Panthera platform...

I would expect that this platform will still be loosely based on something existing out there, but arranged in a specific way.
It does seem like a tricky move, and I am not entirely convinced about the reasoning... Will the future line-up really be so unique that it cannot work with something like an PPE platform? And if so, is that good news?

#40 ·
Looks like details of the Reimagine strategy came out

Jaguar will continue to be a separate. But now they are splitting up Land Rover into sub brands Range Rover, Defender, and Discovery

seems weird to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.