Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I took a delivery of my I-PACE and because I got it out of town I had to drive it 250 miles back.
While charging at Electrify America 150 KW plug the car was only able to pull 36 KW. I've changed the stall with same results.
I gave a call to Jaguar and I've been told that if car is under 1000 miles it will limit the power of charging. Can anyone confirm this behavior? Just trying to figure out is that an issue with a car or that's really expected.

Later that day I did second charging at EVgo. Charging started with 37 KW and went up to 42 KW.

Thanks

·
Registered
901 Posts
What was your state of charge?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was your state of charge?
At EA I started at 58 SOC. It was consistently charging at 36-37 KW all the way up to 85 SOC when I left.

At EVgo I started from 38%. Charge rate was also about 37KW. It went up with time to 42KW and stayed like that up to around 85 SOC

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
Did you drive it like you stole it and was it a hot day?
When I drove mine home (350 miles) it behaved as expected, starting at about 80 kW and then slowly dropping to 40kW; it had 200 miles on it at that point. Similar behavior at the next stop at about 320 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have had very little luck at EA stations getting full charge rate. The charging rate is dependent on battery temperature and SOC, but EA stations are a bit of a mess in my experience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you drive it like you stole it and was it a hot day?
When I drove mine home (350 miles) it behaved as expected, starting at about 80 kW and then slowly dropping to 40kW; it had 200 miles on it at that point. Similar behavior at the next stop at about 320 miles on the odometer.
It was a hot day. It was sunny with temperature around 90 F.
Though I drove very gently. EA was only about 15 miles from the dealership and route was mostly through local roads.

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
Ok, battery temp can't explain it. Here's the chart from my two EA sessions on my drive home. The charge rate was read from the car, not from the charger (charger would read a little higher due to loss).

I suspect that the reason your rate was limited was because the car had been sitting on the lot for a long time and had not been charged, and that the battery cells were not balanced properly. (Cell balancing happens during charging and limits the charge rate.) How many miles did the car have when you bought it and what are the last 5 digits of your VIN and/or the build date?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect that the reason your rate was limited was because the car had been sitting on the lot for a long time and had not been charged, and that the battery cells were not balanced properly. (Cell balancing happens during charging and limits the charge rate.) How many miles did the car have when you bought it and what are the last 5 digits of your VIN and/or the build date?
That makes a lot of sense sciencegeek. I think you're spot on. My car was a demo car with early 2019 VIN (don't have it at the moment but it is 60xxx) and it had only 230 miles when I got it yesterday.

I'm amazed you figured this out just like that :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have L2 yet. Waiting for an electrician to come in next week. So trickle charging as we speak...

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
And does your car have all the most recent software updates? On the original software of early VIN cars one could not trust the kWh reading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked dealer specifically about it and I was told that everything is updated. I browsed through the forum and it seems to be the case. I have a state of charge green bar displayed (it looks that before the updates it looked slightly different). I also have infotainment version 19C and the other component (I forgot the name) in version 18.2.

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
Very good! Your WattCat kWh can be trusted (very early software reported wrong), so 35.5/0.43 = 82.5kWh capacity. Keep using trickle charger and once you get your L2 you can actually watch the balancing on the plot that it gives you. Example attached, where you can see the drop from 7kW down to 6ish and back up. 🍺

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to sum up this thread. Sciencegeek's suspicion was accurate and car has not been able to charge at full speed because it spent quite some time on a lot and battery was not balanced.

After discussion we had here, I trickle charged my car to 100% SoC. WattCat was showing that I have 86.6 kWh.
Today I went to EA with 43% SoC. The car has started pulling 93 kW (reading from a charger), at 50% it went down to 83 kW.

So the story I got from Jaguar that car is limiting charge rate if under 1000 miles seems to be made up :) and unbalanced battery was the limiting factor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts