Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning.

New here and about to take on a 2019 I-Pace SE, I'm in OZ and sales are pretty slow so dealers quite keen to shift cars. This one is new a well specified with glass roof, air suspension plus numerous accessories its on 22 inch wheels which look great. I've driven I-pace on 20 inch wheels with air suspension and the ride was fine, but just wondering of anyone has the 22's and can comment.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The 22s make the car IMO. They look gorgeous and they fill the gap between the wheel well nicely.

You will get a bit of a rougher ride, little less range and a little more cabin noise with them.
The tires are also more expensive to replace compared to the 20s and 18s.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
I have the 22's and agree with PS702. They seem to be one of the things that catch a lot of admirer's eyes and give the car more of an exotic Hot Wheels kind of look. I've heard that these are the wheels the designers built specifically for the car design and I think they are a great aesthetics match. It is the rare car that I've not even considered getting custom wheels for... these are just too good.

After a long series of sports cars I'm used to the ride of low profile tires and firm suspensions. At least the tires are not run flats which are just too jarring. I find the ride firm but not uncomfortably so, but I've seen some here think they are too firm. I still consider this more of a sporty car and drive it that way at times so I'm fine with the firmness. Part of consideration depends on the road conditions where you live.

With the car getting no real engine noise it is still quieter than any car I've ever had. If these wheels/tires result in more tire noise it is only apparent because the car is pretty darned quiet overall.

The bottom line is to drive it and see how it feels to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.
Agree they look sweet.

I've driven an SE on 20 inch wheels over 250km, mainly highway in order to prove it will do what I want, and it did, there's 380km. This one had air suspension and whilst I could alter the height it didn't seem to alter the comfort, which on 20's I felt was very good. It's one of a few cars I have and will do a few long trips a year, bit of touring, wife has a RR Evoque with 20 inch wheels but it's 500kg lighter, it has a lousy ride, so I'm mindful I get it right.

Thing is dealer won't let me drive this one 250km as it new.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks for the input.
Agree they look sweet.

I've driven an SE on 20 inch wheels over 250km, mainly highway in order to prove it will do what I want, and it did, there's 380km. This one had air suspension and whilst I could alter the height it didn't seem to alter the comfort, which on 20's I felt was very good. It's one of a few cars I have and will do a few long trips a year, bit of touring, wife has a RR Evoque with 20 inch wheels but it's 500kg lighter, it has a lousy ride, so I'm mindful I get it right.

Thing is dealer won't let me drive this one 250km as it new.

Can you test drive one with 22s? I did a short test and understood the ride difference fairly quickly

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an HSE with the 22" 10 spoke wheels. I have the low pressure alarm set at the selectable low pressure setting and the pressure within 5 psi of that setting.(the Jag comes from factory with the air pressure alarm set at the high pressure setting and the tires are hard). I feel the car is riding as smooth as I need it to with that low pressure setting. I had a Ford Focus Electric with soft compound tires on it. I drive the Jag through the roundabouts just as hard as the FFE and wouldn't want any less traction when cornering with the car set in the dynamic mode, as the Jag's electronic nannies would kill the power too much with a harder compound tire. The 20" & 18" tires are not soft compound summer tires. There are many other comments in this forum on the tires, if you search for them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Agree with the above posters... I have the 22s, love them, and didn't consider any other wheels: they MAKE the car. For best ride quality, it is CRITICAL to keep tire pressure at "light load" setting of 37psi on all four tires. Dealers typically leave them at 50psi!!! (pressure at which cars are shipped from factory). Check before you test drive... there is a steering wheel thumbwheel menu setting that will show you the pressures.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Agree with the above posters... I have the 22s, love them, and didn't consider any other wheels: they MAKE the car. For best ride quality, it is CRITICAL to keep tire pressure at "light load" setting of 37psi on all four tires. Dealers typically leave them at 50psi!!! (pressure at which cars are shipped from factory). Check before you test drive... there is a steering wheel thumbwheel menu setting that will show you the pressures.
This tire pressure trick is crucial. I had the dealer set all tires to 37psi when I got my car.
I have the 20" and it makes a huge difference

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks, good to know the 37psi, agree 50 psi is nuts.
Dealer is real keen, I have negotiated a loan for 5 days over a long weekend, he's not worried about me putting 600km on it so it will be a good test.
I've also heard the 22's reduce range a little anything noticeable?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Many thanks, good to know the 37psi, agree 50 psi is nuts.
Dealer is real keen, I have negotiated a loan for 5 days over a long weekend, he's not worried about me putting 600km on it so it will be a good test.
I've also heard the 22's reduce range a little anything noticeable?

Cheers
Fair dinkum! Have fun! Yes 22" reduces range because more mass is further away from the axle. I think consensus is somewhere around 5%, perhaps slightly higher, compared to lightweight 18"; but much less compared to 20". The big drop in efficiency is between 18" and 20".

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fair dinkum! Have fun! Yes 22" reduces range because more mass is further away from the axle. I think consensus is somewhere around 5%, perhaps slightly higher, compared to lightweight 18"; but much less compared to 20". The big drop in efficiency is between 18" and 20".
I can vouch for this. When I has 18 inch wheels I usually get around 27-32 kWh/100 mile efficiency. After switching to 20 inch wheels I am only getting around 32-40 kWh/100 mile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience - 22” look great but... construction is low profile, not great for winter driving and life expectancy about 12,000 - < 20,000. Depending of how you drive plus replacement tires are expensive
Can be prone to road damage

Had low profile with a Tesla I owned - replaced tires 3 times during 3 year lease

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
22 Posts
Just took delivery of a slightly used 2019 I-Pace First edition which came with the wheel shown in the attachment. The car drives fabulous but I have quickly learned I am NOT a driver who appreciates the ride. I am bothered by the tire cost and CANNOT get all-weather tires. This car only had 3200 miles on it and the body and wheels (with tires) are in great condition. I am SERIOUSLY considering moving to the 20" wheels and getting all-weather year round higher mileage tires. If there is anyone on the forum what would consider a trade-up to these 22" wheels and could appreciate what they bring to a driver that knows, let me know and could possibly work out a swap. THANKS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
85 Posts
I have these style 20" wheels with tires that were taken off my 2 weeks old 2020 I-Pace. Assuming you're interested in the style, we might be able to work something out. I'm in northern CA.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
22 Posts
I have an appointment with Jaguar service on Tuesday and will be looking at what wheels they sell so I can get a better sense of what it would cost me outright with tires. I also want to see the available styles as well. I know the 22" wheels and Pirelli summer tires are quite costly but I need to learn more. Also have to look into how to actually ship these for a swap since it leaves me with a cars on blocks. In an ideal situation someone local in the area would mean just going to a tire shop and paying them to use adjacent lifts and simply swap wheels and tires. I appreciate your rapid response. Did you already replace your 20" wheels and with what? If you did that would mean they could be shipped, I would swap at tire shop and then ship these. Are these 20" tires all-weather and how many miles do you think are on them? What is the tire manufacturer and model? This is not an emergency but something I would consider so stay in touch please.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts