Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cars.com reviewed the 2019 Model X 3 days ago, and I thought it was not only a balanced review (8 things to like and 8 to not), but it firmly supported my view of why the I-Pace is far superior. OK, I'm biased, but if you are still on the fence about the I-Pace vs. MX, or 'having second thoughts' about either, read this article. With the exception of some additional range and 0-60 speed (at much higher cost for 90 or 100 versions), the I-Pace meets or exceeds all the Pros, and lacks most of the rather serious Cons of the MX, including:

"Those Falcon Wing Doors... are slow, flimsy, and... (if partially open due to high limitations)... getting in and out is a chore"

"you feel every pound if you throw it into a corner, getting ugly body roll... and the all-wheel drive doesn't seem designed to help much with turns."
"Ride quality falls short of what you'd expect in a big luxury SUV"

"The Model X skips a conventional blind spot warning system... in favor of less recognizable warning shown on the instrument (panel) with colors of varying intensity"
"Phone Integration is So Five Years Ago... no CarPlay or AndroidAuto... there's no voice to text function"

"The sun visors are strangely thin and questionably useful"

and my NEW personal favorite (remember this is the 4th year of production for MX):
"the touchscreen and digital instrument panel screen both froze on the road."

https://www.cars.com/articles/tesla-model-x-8-things-we-like-a-lot-and-8-we-dont-1420757390154/

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Haha, that's awesome. Two of the things they liked about the Model Egg that I despise are its looks the the freaking idiotic ginormous screen. Aaaahhhh!!!!

It's just a minivan on steroids. Great power but keeping all other attributes of minivans, including handling and looks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Rivian is yet another automaker ready to steal potential Tesla Model X buyers away, in fact they might take me away from the I-Pace with the R1S!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R1S will be groundbreaking, true, when it finally gets here and has its first-time carmaker bugs ironed out. Some amazing range at the upper end, too (cost ?) Something tells me it won't win as many awards, though... looks are important and its, well... pretty danm fugly, inside and out, if you ask me.

I say, the more competitors the merrier... keeps the EV game interesting and forces progress across the board!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Will be keeping on eye on Rivian for sure and the $700 million investment from Amazon proves that others have taken notice of their concepts. Tesla was successful in bringing EV's to the masses but some of their design cues are better in concept than reality...

·
Registered
120 Posts
For a city user that does not care about long distance trips, regarding the Rivian, I was discussing with my wife and the the issue we saw is the ability to charge at home for the given capacity. Say you have a 10kW onboard charger, then you need to put in a 50amp dedicated charging circuit to be able to recharge at night to some meaningful level (and not all homes are ready for a separate 50amp load to be added). If you are only needing to charge for usuable range for the day, only 50-80kW, then no point in paying for the extra battery and lugging that weight around. Net of this is I think manufacturers are targeting the two types of EV buyers, ones that want to just hop around the city and plug in every night and that have an alternative for long range commutes. And the others that want to go dedicated EV and thus need to weigh the longer range and charging network. Our family is a mix of ICE and EV, so we did not care about the longer range commutes with the EV nor are we too concerned with public EV charging infrastructure. We can top off the iPace every night based on the current daily commute and the TOU pricing is only 6 hours at night, so the real savings comes by charging only during the TOU period. Charging outside of TOU is almost triple the price in San Diego ($0.09 vs $0.25).

I also don't want to have to be like the Tesla users at our local Target racing to get into the charging stalls and then having to wait there if they did not get the spot, then wait more for the charging. Too much work for our family, we like to keep it simple and just plug it in at home in our garage, you know, set it and forget it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
R1S will be groundbreaking, true, when it finally gets here and has its first-time carmaker bugs ironed out. Some amazing range at the upper end, too (cost ?) Something tells me it won't win as many awards, though... looks are important and its, well... pretty danm fugly, inside and out, if you ask me.

I say, the more competitors the merrier... keeps the EV game interesting and forces progress across the board!
The pill-shaped headlights of the Rivians are just weird. Else they're pretty okay IMO.

But let's not jump the gun. It isn't for sale no matter who wants to splash their name in the headlines (Amazon) and the specs should be suspect until something is in production. Keep in mind how many companies put down reservations on the vaporous Tesla semi. They got into a competition for who could blow more marketing cash on a headline. Not one of them has gotten a delivery yet.

Rivian has a factory (more than we can say for the Tesla semi), but what's going on inside? Who knows? Let's try not to speak of what isn't as if it is.

Personally I think Rivian is crazy to locate in my state. They got a great deal on the former Mitsubishi factory no doubt, but eventually the state tax man will come for them. Illinois could care less that Rivian might be making EVs some day. They have pensions to pay for.

As for the MX, I could not care less. In this price range the I-Pace is the only EV of any quality and decent styling to be had.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cars.com reviewed the 2019 Model X 3 days ago, and I thought it was not only a balanced review (8 things to like and 8 to not), but it firmly supported my view of why the I-Pace is far superior. OK, I'm biased, but if you are still on the fence about the I-Pace vs. MX, or 'having second thoughts' about either, read this article. With the exception of some additional range and 0-60 speed (at much higher cost for 90 or 100 versions), the I-Pace meets or exceeds all the Pros, and lacks most of the rather serious Cons of the MX, including:

"Those Falcon Wing Doors... are slow, flimsy, and... (if partially open due to high limitations)... getting in and out is a chore"

"you feel every pound if you throw it into a corner, getting ugly body roll... and the all-wheel drive doesn't seem designed to help much with turns."
"Ride quality falls short of what you'd expect in a big luxury SUV"

"The Model X skips a conventional blind spot warning system... in favor of less recognizable warning shown on the instrument (panel) with colors of varying intensity"
"Phone Integration is So Five Years Ago... no CarPlay or AndroidAuto... there's no voice to text function"

"The sun visors are strangely thin and questionably useful"
The sun visors used to drive me nuts. I kept saying to myself, why did they even put visors in. They put this HUGE windshield in, but tiny visors and it did nothing when trying to turn it to the side to block the sun from driver or passenger windows. That windshield caused me a lot of headache. So glad to be rid of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Funny you say that. When I did an extended several hour test drive in a MX, that was my big complaint. No matter where you put the visor, the sun just hit you in the eyes. It was dangerous!

·
Registered
898 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Jonathan Scott (of Property Brothers fame) owns both MX and I-Pace and compares them in this article...
https://www.motortrend.com/news/celebrity-drive-jonathan-scott-of-hgtv-property-brothers/
If size was what he really valued as #1 in a car, the MX is not it. Or even close. It does take a taller garage, but doesn't compare to the cheaper Suburban, Yukon XL, or Escalade ESV when used as an SUV. All of which have 50% more cuft in the back.

He can't reconcile things like no rear entertainment options for row 2 or 3, limited adult seating, few internal handles or storage areas, no blind spot side mirrors, towing mirrors, no HUD, low towing limit, no 120v outlet, can't handle 4x8' lumber, no WiFi hotspot, OnStar, CarPlay/AA, leather, seating up to 9, etc.

All he can say is the less tractable MX is bigger inside than the I-Pace which is more Sport than the MX. The I-Pace is more Jeep-like, and the MX is more small Minivan'ish. Which is more Sport Utility in the Jeep definition?

Then raving that the MX is 10x10 with no shortcomings and saying the I-Pace is 7.5 in handling, means he hasn't driven both cars in an aggressive manner or with a stopwatch present.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Between taking recommendations from Consumer Reports and Property Brothers, Property Brothers loses. That's not saying much for CR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts