Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Okay here is some insider information: All four tires on my I-Pace were chunking not just the fronts. Also my service writer said there was a Land Rover/Range Rover getting new tires for the exact same issue when I asked her to evaluate the cause of the chunking. You definitely need to get your tie rods replaced and then a proper alignment for safety reasons. I have not read of any forum members needing new tie rods on their I-Pace especially with only 17,000 miles. I have double that mileage and all is good. When I got my new tires, I decided to get the alignment at the tire shop and within 7 days had my Jaguar dealership do another alignment. Look forward to the final chapter of your story.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Okay here is some insider information: All four tires on my I-Pace were chunking not just the fronts. Also my service writer said there was a Land Rover/Range Rover getting new tires for the exact same issue when I asked her to evaluate the cause of the chunking. You definitely need to get your tie rods replaced and then a proper alignment for safety reasons. I have not read of any forum members needing new tie rods on their I-Pace especially with only 17,000 miles. I have double that mileage and all is good. When I got my new tires, I decided to get the alignment at the tire shop and within 7 days had my Jaguar dealership do another alignment. Look forward to the final chapter of your story.
Did you have the Goodyear tires? Did they determine what caused the chunking? Why did you do two alignments? Interesting enough. I have heard some clunking when I stop the car but not all of the time and if the control arms were really bad wouldn't I feel it in the car when I used the brakes?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Yes I had the OEM Goodyears. No I did not find out exactly what the cause. I did 2 alignments since I bought my new tires from a tire dealer and let him do the first alignment. Then 7 days later I had a scheduled maintenance at Jaguar and asked them to check the alignment while it was being serviced. Both alignments showed very little adjustment needed. My I-Pace has always tracked well since new. When I asked the tire dealer what had happened for the tires to chunk he just said they were Goodyears and that is the answer. He is however a big Michelin fan. You should most likely feel more play in the steering when driving.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes I had the OEM Goodyears. No I did not find out exactly what the cause. I did 2 alignments since I bought my new tires from a tire dealer and let him do the first alignment. Then 7 days later I had a scheduled maintenance at Jaguar and asked them to check the alignment while it was being serviced. Both alignments showed very little adjustment needed. My I-Pace has always tracked well since new. When I asked the tire dealer what had happened for the tires to chunk he just said they were Goodyears and that is the answer. He is however a big Michelin fan. You should most likely feel more play in the steering when driving.
Yep. From my research our Goodyear tires are having problems on heavier cars. I think it's a bad batch of tires. Maybe these tires need to be recalled.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I ordered 255/50/20 Pilot Sport 4 SUVs. 109 load rating. The 245 only do a 103 load, which is too low. Should be here in a week.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I took a look at my 3 year old Goodyears and they are indeed chunking a bit too. I am having them replaced on Friday with... another set of the Godyears. Ultimately I decided that whatever performance or ride improvement I might find with another tire was not worth the range hit. It is very difficult to find a competing tire in the right size and load limit that's not 3-5 lbs heavier.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Our goodyears are also cording on at least one tire. I-Pace is sitting in the garage, waiting for new shoes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just ordered from Tire Rack: EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 255/50ZR20 to replace my Goodyear OEM tires-the fronts are very worn at just over 18,500.

I'm replacing all four tires

2019 SE with 20-inch wheels

Tire rack emailed me right away to tell me that these are not one of the normally recommended optional sizes.

By way of sanity check, these are the tires that some folks are saying are really great replacements for the IPACE correct??? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
226 Posts
I like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 in 255/50-20 we put on a couple weeks ago. The aggressive driving on the Goodyears seemed to cause them to lose chunks of rubber. I am fairly certain the Continentals won’t have that problem based on other cars I have driven with those tires.
Yup. These are the tires I have been driving on. Very happy with them still. I would recommend them. You’re welcome.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just ordered from Tire Rack: EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 255/50ZR20 to replace my Goodyear OEM tires-the fronts are very worn at just over 18,500.

I'm replacing all four tires

2019 SE with 20-inch wheels

Tire rack emailed me right away to tell me that these are not one of the normally recommended optional sizes.

By way of sanity check, these are the tires that some folks are saying are really great replacements for the IPACE correct??? Thanks in advance!
Great tire. You will be happy with them.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If you actually get light snow now and then, I'd go for the all seasons. If you don't, and it's just rain or a few frozen mornings a year, then I choose summer tires for the greater wet and dry grip.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Those are the exact tires I am using now for over 6000 miles. Much quieter than the Goodyear OEM and the stance of the car is much better. The car looks a lot more aggressive than with the Goodyears. I am confident you will enjoy them!

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you actually get light snow now and then, I'd go for the all seasons. If you don't, and it's just rain or a few frozen mornings a year, then I choose summer tires for the greater wet and dry grip.
Does the temperature matter? I thought that summer tires were made of different rubber that might not respond the same when it was cold.

I always found this argument suspect. I would think that the tires get warm regardless of ambient temperature since they generate heat from friction.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Does the temperature matter? I thought that summer tires were made of different rubber that might not respond the same when it was cold.

I always found this argument suspect. I would think that the tires get warm regardless of ambient temperature since they generate heat from friction.
Yes, temperature matters, but how much of the time are you driving below freezing? We have maybe 20 mornings a year where outside it's that cold, but not so much in the garage.

·
Registered
2019 I-Pace SE
59 Posts
I have three sets of tires :rolleyes:.
Vredestein Wintrac Pro 245/50R20 that I run in the winter. We get a bit of snow here at 5600'.
Original Goodyear tires that I run in the summer, spring and fall.
Another set of Goodyear tires that are not mounted. Bought these to get the I-pace wheels for the winter tires.
The Vredestein snow tires make a big difference in the snow. Better braking and cornering. Highly recommended if you need this sort of tire.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts