Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 S
164 Posts
Michelins are usually my first choice, and the Defenders are great on my F150. I wouldn't put them on an I-Pace though unless you really need a mud & snow tire. I'd be all over a set of Pilot Sport A/S if they were available in that size. I've never had the Primacy or Lattitude tires - probably because I've never had a minivan, but they'd be better on the I-Pace than the Defender. There's another thread on 255/50R20 tires. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus was recommended. I would also consider the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S as a second choice. Either should be much better than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The tires I have now basically crumbled. I had Pilot Sports on my Corvette and they are great tires, not the best A/S and they wear quickly. Our cars are 5k pounds so load rating is especially important. I really just want a really quiet stout, A/S tire. The Eagle Sports, ride wonderfully but this car is just to heavy and eat these tires for lunch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I need to buy new tires for my 2020 Ipace. We have an HSE model with 20' tires. When I go on Tirerack and search tires in the 245/50/20 size it's slim pickings.

The Eagle Sport (OEM Tire) comes up but at 17K miles the tire is wearing out. We are actually meeting with Goodyear tomorrow about this. Then there is the General Altimax 365, and the General Altimax RT45. There are a few winter tires but we live in NC so that would be unnecessary. I was hoping that members could suggest a tire. Also, can I put on a slightly wider tire which might give me more choices. This is very frustrating. I love Michelin tires but they don't make a tire in my size as most tire companies don't. Thanks in advance.
Same issue and miles on my OEMs. Have appt in 2 days as after 17.5k miles they are junk. Going to firestone as no way would I go good year. Had good luck on my last Ev with firestone.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Same issue and miles on my OEMs. Have appt in 2 days as after 17.5k miles they are junk. Going to firestone as no way would I go good year. Had good luck on my last Ev with firestone.
Just make sure you get a XL load rated tire and if possible a V speed rating. The best A/S out there is the Defender M/S but as I mentioned it only comes in a slightly wider tire. While there has been one or two users who posted they are running the wider tire I'm still leary. There just isn't a lot of room between the tire and suspension. I may just go with the Altimax RT45. A lot of guys like the
CrossContact™ LX25 but they are not speed rated or load rated properly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm going to pile on and join trader's request in advice, as mine are getting there too. Tire rack also shows very limited options.
Ditto for me too. My front tires also showed chunking on the outboard edge at around 18k miles. Rotated them to the rear. Now at 22k miles, the newly rotated fronts do not show chunking. All 4 tires are about 1/16” to 1/8”from the wear bars.

·
Registered
2020 S
164 Posts
If you use Discount Tire's website you can search by the larger 255/50 R20 size and enter in your year/make/model and it will automatically filter out tires with load and speed ratings not suitable for the I-Pace. Even if you don't buy from Discount Tire, it's a useful tool to help sort out options.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ditto for me too. My front tires also showed chunking on the outboard edge at around 18k miles. Rotated them to the rear. Now at 22k miles, the newly rotated fronts do not show chunking. All 4 tires are about 1/16” to 1/8”from the wear bars.
Call Goodyear and they will send you to a shop for inspection and they will prorate a dollar amount for the tires. It's not normal wear. For some reason these tires are not up to the task. Our cars are heavy. It's too bad because I really liked these tires.
If you use Discount Tire's website you can search by the larger 255/50 R20 size and enter in your year/make/model and it will automatically filter out tires with load and speed ratings not suitable for the I-Pace. Even if you don't buy from Discount Tire, it's a useful tool to help sort out options.
I used a few of these filters for the Ipace. You have to make sure you filter for load rating and if you get a V rated tire there are so few choices.

·
Registered
2020 S
164 Posts
I used a few of these filters for the Ipace. You have to make sure you filter for load rating and if you get a V rated tire there are so few choices.
Few choices using 255/50 or 245/50? There are a lot of V rated XL tires in 255/50. The 245 selection is abysmal. The Conti DWS06 Plus and Pirelli Zero A/S (which are the 255/50 choices I'm considering) are both Y rated and XL.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Few choices using 255/50 or 245/50? There are a lot of V rated XL tires in 255/50. The 245 selection is abysmal. The Conti DWS06 Plus and Pirelli Zero A/S (which are the 255/50 choices I'm considering) are both Y rated and XL.
You have the speed rating. There are several people who run 255's but until you do it you don't know. Each tire is pretty specific. I was looking under the front tire and its a really tight fit for the tire that is on the car. I'll talk to the tire manager tomorrow about my options. A concern is if there is ever a front end problem the dealer can deny your claim since you had the wrong tire size. Dealers do look for these things to deny claims. My dealer has been excellent so far. They even wash the car. I have a lot of warranty left on my original 5 years and 100k mile warranty. About 4 years and 82k miles. I really don't even like 20" rims. I would prefer more rubber on the sidewall but they preform well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 8000 miles on my replacements of the original Goodyear Eagles which pathetically got only 30,000 miles on them before they completely wore out. I do not drive aggressively and I am fairly diligent on keeping the tire pressures properly inflated. My tire guy (yes, I have a "tire guy" who sold me hundreds of tires for my company's vehicles) recommended I try Bridgestone Alenza 245 50R/20 "V" rated. He said they would be a bit louder and not designed for super aggressive driving styles. However, he said they would wear longer and provide good snow traction, both of these items being most important to me. So far, the seem hardly worn and I haven't noticed any appreciable higher road noise. Pricing was high, but reasonable, $900 all-in. If I had some snow driving under my belt I would highly recommend them but I will check-in once the snow flies. That said, I have no reason to see with the tread design they have that the snow will be no problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have 8000 miles on my replacements of the original Goodyear Eagles which pathetically got only 30,000 miles on them before they completely wore out. I do not drive aggressively and I am fairly diligent on keeping the tire pressures properly inflated. My tire guy (yes, I have a "tire guy" who sold me hundreds of tires for my company's vehicles) recommended I try Bridgestone Alenza 245 50R/20 "V" rated. He said they would be a bit louder and not designed for super aggressive driving styles. However, he said they would wear longer and provide good snow traction, both of these items being most important to me. So far, the seem hardly worn and I haven't noticed any appreciable higher road noise. Pricing was high, but reasonable, $900 all-in. If I had some snow driving under my belt I would highly recommend them but I will check-in once the snow flies. That said, I have no reason to see with the tread design they have that the snow will be no problem.
I read they are a good tire. I ended up with Perelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3. It's a fairly highly rated tire. My first choice was Michelin Defender m/s but they wanted 300.00 a tire. My third choice was the Altimax rt45 at 200.00 a tire but reviews were mixed.

·
Registered
2020 S
164 Posts
I'm not yet at 9k miles, but I think I'll be replacing my Goodyear Eagles soon. Admittedly I'm not easy on the tires. I'm not happy at how pieces of the tread have chunked off as others have noted. One tire has been patched a couple times and is slowly leaking from one of the patches. I'm told the patch can't be further repaired so the tire has to be topped off once a week. I've got a large air compressor in the garage so I can put up with this for a little while.

Tire options are also pretty good in the 255/45 R20, and apparently Jag did authorize an aftermarket 255/45 R20 winter tire. It will throw off the speedometer a bit, but no worse than my last BMW with the factory tire size. They might look a little undersized in the wheel arch though, but maybe an extra 0.3" clearance wouldn't look too bad. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, Continental DWS06+, and Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus are all available in 255/45 for significantly less than the DWS06+ in 255/50. ...Something to think about while I air up my tires.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm not yet at 9k miles, but I think I'll be replacing my Goodyear Eagles soon. Admittedly I'm not easy on the tires. I'm not happy at how pieces of the tread have chunked off as others have noted. One tire has been patched a couple times and is slowly leaking from one of the patches. I'm told the patch can't be further repaired so the tire has to be topped off once a week. I've got a large air compressor in the garage so I can put up with this for a little while.

Tire options are also pretty good in the 255/45 R20, and apparently Jag did authorize an aftermarket 255/45 R20 winter tire. It will throw off the speedometer a bit, but no worse than my last BMW with the factory tire size. They might look a little undersized in the wheel arch though, but maybe an extra 0.3" clearance wouldn't look too bad. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, Continental DWS06+, and Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus are all available in 255/45 for significantly less than the DWS06+ in 255/50. ...Something to think about while I air up my tires.
Call Goodyear at 800-321-2136. They will send you to a Goodyear shop to have the tires inspected. They are giving me around 100 a tire They no longer make the Continental tire. I believe they call it the Cross Contact lx. It got descent reviews. Best bang for the money are Altimax RT 43/45. Highest rated is the Michelin defender m/s. I putting on Scorpion A/S Plus 3. Rated very high too. I have the defenders on my truck. Nice tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone running 255/50/20 on their Ipace. If so I could get Michelin Defender m/s tires. Thanks
Am running exactly those - Pirelli's Scorpion Zero AS. Very happy with them, saving 2.5kWh per 100 miles thanks to low rolling resistance. They do quite well in (not extreme) winter weather, very good for moderate winter, but loose some dynamic sharpness compared to good summer tires - of course.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Am running exactly those - Pirelli's Scorpion Zero AS. Very happy with them, saving 2.5kWh per 100 miles thanks to low rolling resistance. They do quite well in (not extreme) winter weather, very good for moderate winter, but loose some dynamic sharpness compared to good summer tires - of course.
Thanks for replying. I was a little nervous because there isn't a lot of room to run a bigger tire but several users have done so successfully. I'm putting on the Scorpion Ultra 3 which is similar to the p zero. I'll report back on the tire. Getting them today and then a 1 hour trip back home.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I brought my car to Goodyear, about an hour away, to finally get my new Scorpion Ultra 3 tires mounted and balanced. This was the 3rd trip. 1st trip for inspection of tires which Goodyear gave me a prorated dollar amount, 2nd trip their machine broke, 3rd trip was the most interesting. The guys at Goodyear drove the car slowly and then braked the car. The tire bumped forward and back on stopping. The guys were pretty convinced that the lower control arm bushing was bad which caused the front tires to chunk away. I have an appointment at JLR to have them look at the car. This would explain the horrible wear on my tires and other member's tires. If it is the bushing do you think JLR would replace my tires as part of a warranty claim? The other issue is that I was going to have 255/50/20 tires installed. The guys at Goodyear suggested I ask for something in writing that the larger tires would not void my warranty on front suspension parts so I may be stuck with General RT45 tires. Not as highly rated as the Pirelli tires but not horrible either.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I believe a number of the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season tires were poorly constructed. When I looked into why these tires were chunking, I discovered Audi was using the same tire on one of their models with the exact same results (chunking). I found this info on the Audi World forum with pictures to verify the same condition as my tires. So I really do not think the tires are failing due to the engineering of the I-Pace. Ahh, but in this world, pointing fingers is an accomplished art instead of companies owning up to their incompetence. My advice for "traderfjp" is do what you feel most comfortable with, which might be getting the exact same OEM size.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I believe a number of the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season tires were poorly constructed. When I looked into why these tires were chunking, I discovered Audi was using the same tire on one of their models with the exact same results (chunking). I found this info on the Audi World forum with pictures to verify the same condition as my tires. So I really do not think the tires are failing due to the engineering of the I-Pace. Ahh, but in this world, pointing fingers is an accomplished art instead of companies owning up to their incompetence. My advice for "traderfjp" is do what you feel most comfortable with, which might be getting the exact same OEM size.
I have an appointment on Tuesday so I will know for sure. The guys at the tire shop showed me how when the car stopped the tire bumped forward and back. I'm not a mechanic so I really don't know but it didn't seem right, but JLR will and then I will go from there. I will ask my advisor about the larger tires. The Altimax tire is a good tire but the Scorpion tires from my research are better. I read on this forum that another member had problems with wear on 22" Pirelli tires at 17k miles. These tires wore really bad on the front shoulder of the tire but didn't rip apart like we are seeing. He wrote: It turns out that I had a worn out tie-rod and my alignment was out. Interestingly the dealer replaced the tie-rod under warranty which is good as these are normally considered a ‘wear item’. Then, there were a few members who had a great experience with the same Goodyear tire and were going to replace them with the same OEM tire when the time came. Then, when I go on Tirerack I see that the Goodyear Sports got good reviews. I filtered the reviews by most miles driven and there are users who are getting 60, 70, 80k miles and gave the tire a great review so it makes me wonder if there is something going on with our cars but then you say there are issues on the Audi site so it's really hard to nail down if Goodyear had a bad batch or something else is going on. Taken from the Audi forum: The 255/60R 18XL 112V Continental Crosscontact LX Sport tires now have just under 30,000 miles on them and have performed flawlessly. There was never a problem with my front end alignment. I did not have an alignment performed. I only replaced all four tires with the 255/60R 18XL 112V Continental Crosscontact LX Sport tires. The issue has proven to be with the OEM Goodyear Eagle Sport tires Audi puts on its new cars. It's possible that the load rating is incorrect for the Goodyear tires and can't take the weight of a heavy vehicle. The Q7 and Ipace are both heavy vehicles. I'll report back next week when I know something.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts