Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy new tires for my 2020 Ipace. We have an HSE model with 20' tires. When I go on Tirerack and search tires in the 245/50/20 size it's slim pickings.

The Eagle Sport (OEM Tire) comes up but at 17K miles the tire is wearing out. We are actually meeting with Goodyear tomorrow about this. Then there is the General Altimax 365, and the General Altimax RT45. There are a few winter tires but we live in NC so that would be unnecessary. I was hoping that members could suggest a tire. Also, can I put on a slightly wider tire which might give me more choices. This is very frustrating. I love Michelin tires but they don't make a tire in my size as most tire companies don't. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I go to Tirebuyer there are many more options for tires. But take a look at OEM tires. This is my wife's car which she drives conservative. Only 17k miles. Rotated once. I never had a tire do this. We have a gravel driveway but heck.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
What air pressures do she run front and rear?
Is the majority of the driving "city" type or "highway" type?
How aggressive is she in corners?

I run the normal load pressures (not the light load) and am conservative in my driving (most of the time). I'm at 42K miles on the 20 inch original Goodyear tires. Most of my driving is 55-70 mph and not a lot at city driving, fairly flat terrain, and no twisty roads to enjoy.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My wife drives conservative. We live up a mountain so everyday we drive maybe 25 miles on curvy roads. We do a lot of highway miles getting around town. Front tires are 35lbs and 45lbs in the rear. The rear tires aren't great but on the front there are cuts in the tire where you can almost pull off chunks of the rubber. This isn't normal wear and the tires seems to be breaking down in a manner I've never seen. To makes matters worse there aren't a lot of options. I wonder if the awd system is responsible or we just might have a defective set.

· Premium Member
236 Posts
My 20" Goodyear OEM looked exactly like yours at 25,787 miles. I kept mine on light load 37 psi all around. Tires were used probably 70% around town and 30% highway. I believe I saw "PS702" posted a picture of his tires doing the same chunking. When I asked my tire dealer what went wrong, well let's just say he was not a big fan of Goodyear. I am now running Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus - 255/50/20 - ZR/109Y for the past 6000 miles. These tires are much, much quieter than the OEM however may give a ride in comfort mode more equivalent to dynamic mode. Handling is great and the car has a more aggressive stance since these are in essence the profile of a 22" rim and tire.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 20" Goodyear OEM looked exactly like yours at 25,787 miles. I kept mine on light load 37 psi all around. Tires were used probably 70% around town and 30% highway. I believe I saw "PS702" posted a picture of his tires doing the same chunking. When I asked my tire dealer what went wrong, well let's just say he was not a big fan of Goodyear. I am now running Bridgestone ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus - 255/50/20 - ZR/109Y for the past 6000 miles. These tires are much, much quieter than the OEM however may give a ride in comfort mode more equivalent to dynamic mode. Handling is great and the car has a more aggressive stance since these are in essence the profile of a 22" rim and tire.
It's a heavy car with all wheel drive and lots of torque. The Goodyear tires are pretty quiet and the car handles nicely but the tires wear and ride more like a summer tire than an A/S. I'll check into the Bridgestones. They are owned by Michelin. I was also considering the Michelin Climate 2 A/S. They rated high on a lot of Tirerack's testing. I'm not sure about noise but they seem like a stout tire. In any event I need tires sooner than later.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
I'll check into the Bridgestones. They are owned by Michelin.
This is not true. Bridgestone is a Japanese company that is the largest tire company in the world. They also have the Firestone brand. Michelin is a French company that also has Kleber, Uniroyal, Goodrich, SASCAR, Bookatable, and Camso brands. It is the second largest tire company.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is not true. Bridgestone is a Japanese company that is the largest tire company in the world. They also have the Firestone brand. Michelin is a French company that also has Kleber, Uniroyal, Goodrich, SASCAR, Bookatable, and Camso brands. It is the second largest tire company.
Yes. I stand corrected.

· Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
229 Posts
I like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 in 255/50-20 we put on a couple weeks ago. The aggressive driving on the Goodyears seemed to cause them to lose chunks of rubber. I am fairly certain the Continentals won’t have that problem based on other cars I have driven with those tires.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 in 255/50-20 we put on a couple weeks ago. The aggressive driving on the Goodyears seemed to cause them to lose chunks of rubber. I am fairly certain the Continentals won’t have that problem based on other cars I have driven with those tires.
I'd love to know what causes these tires to fail and how other members have faired with aftermarket tires.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[/QUOT
Those are great tires and should work well for you. I saw Goodyear yesterday and put a claim in with them for a prorated amount towards new tires. Not a lot in a 105 or better load range. The car calls for a V rated tire. The Altimax comes in an H and V rated tire. The H rates tire is rated for 10k more miles. Even though the car wants a V rated tire I was thinking about going with the H rated tire because I believe the thread compound is harder which may be a good thing for our cars. I'm calling Goodyear on Monday to confirm the differences between the H and V rated tires.

· Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
229 Posts
H rated tires have a higher speed rating than the max speed of the iPace I believe. Sometimes harder compounds chunk more and sometimes less in my experience.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
H rated tires have a higher speed rating than the max speed of the iPace I believe. Sometimes harder compounds chunk more and sometimes less in my experience.
I believe our cars all for a V rated tire and XL (105) load rating. I posted the stock tire specs that came on my car.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts