Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
I-Pace EV400 2019 First Edition
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I-pace friends! My first post here, hope it doesn't suck... :cool:

So, I regularly drive in the deep and dark forests in Sweden, with roads full of big animals and drunk teens on tractors... I love my EV400 (2019 First Edition) but the lights kind of suck, even if the adaptable LED-matrix is cool. I decided to install a LED bar. I'm describing below how I did it, but what I'm looking for advice for is how this little hack may cause 12v problems, if any, and if you think I should change some part of the installation before I get into trouble.
  1. I got a 100W LED bar which draws ~7A given the slightly-higher-than-12V in the system and an over-promising spec.
  2. I installed a fuse-split on the horn fuse (15A in the right-side front fuse-box) and gave the LED bar its own 10A fuse.
  3. I installed an XBB Lightswitch and connected the sensor to the high-beem cable in the car.
  4. I installed an 433mhz on/off swich so I can control the LED-bar from inside the car.
This approach worked right out of the box! The LED-bar will follow the high-beam on/off when the 433mhz-switch is set to on, and stay dark when the switch is set to off. And the extra light is amazing!

But... Do you think the horn-fuse was the right place to take the juice from? I figured that there is little "overlap" between honking and using the extra lights, and that it is a non-critical function of the car. But I don't understand the 12v system in this car very well (it seems ridiculously complicated...) and perhaps this approach can cause trouble... What do you think?

· Registered
1,904 Posts
I would go directly off the larger 12V battery into a fuse and so on. What size cable goes to a horn that only ever operates for brief bursts? What sensors hit that line? What else is drawing off the same branch? Maybe somebody has the schematics who has a topix subscription?

Reactions: LinusGBG

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
You could have wired the main power directly to the 12V battery positive via a normally open relay and an appropriate sized fuse. The relay would be activated (closed) via a connection to the horn power fuse tap where you presently get power. The objective is to have the relay activate when ignition is turned on.

Another source of ignition on signal is activation of the 70A relay-extended ignition in the right side junction box.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jsimon7777
Thanks for your advice. :) The point with a fuse split is that the cable to whatever you tap into is not used, you only use the infrastructure of the fuse box itself, and that is not/should not be a branch but a direct connection to the 12V positive pole via the fuse-box bottom-plate. But what I don't know is how the 12v system measures power consumption and adjusts its 12v charge to current load. And if so, where and how this is measured. If I miss that "function" I may discharge the (main?) 12v battery. Schematics would indeed be awesome!

@Ayepace
Thank you too! :) The XBB replaces a relay and it closes when both high-beam is on and the 433mhz relay is open (else connected to earth). It however needs constant power (1mA) to keep its calibration data. What would be the benefits of drawing power directly from the battery (with appropriate fuse installed directly on the cable) rather than using a fuse split on an appropriate fuse inside the fuse box? As far as I can understand there is a lot of "headroom" to draw constant power in that fuse box as long as other functions are idle. (Park lock 15A, Onboard Charger 10A, Frunk controller 15A, Screen washer 30A, etc.)

One question: Should this circuit earth be connected to chassis or to negative battery pole in this particular car?

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
Earth should go to chassis. You can connect at the same point as battery earth cables do on either side.

Drawing the main power for the bar from the positive connection to the battery will ensure that any sensitive monitoring of other circuits is not disrupted. Obviously the 1mA should not do that, but the main power draw might fool the car into thinking the intended circuit user is drawing excessive power, or the intended circuit user is good and drawing power when it has actually failed.

· Registered
498 Posts
I really do not know what I am talking about here, but Ayepace can correct my inequities. I believe there is a sensor in or near the growler badge in the front of the car. It has been shown that some electronic devices can cause problems with this sensor. I would assume you are ok if you stay away from the Growler badge.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really do not know what I am talking about here, but Ayepace can correct my inequities. I believe there is a sensor in or near the growler badge in the front of the car. It has been shown that some electronic devices can cause problems with this sensor. I would assume you are ok if you stay away from the Growler badge.
That’s the radar you’re referring to. 😊 I have made sure not to interfere with its FOV, so no problem there. 👍 Thanks!

· Registered
1,904 Posts
I think the stock headlights with brights on are pretty darned good, actually. I'd like to upgrade the matrix system to actually work, though. Stupid America.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
3 Posts
You could of also wired your light bar from your fog light signal (12v power directly from battery, an 12v signal to relay from the fog lights). I did that on my fiat 500e electric, and it list up the street quite well.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Plant Grille

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

1 - 19 of 19 Posts