Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replied to other posts but thought my issue worthy of its own post.

Abbreviated backstory: on two separate occasions over the past couple of weeks, a nearly full battery was completely depleted within twenty miles. In both cases the drain occurred after driving on an interstate highway for about 10 miles. The first time also coincided with a leak in the right-front air strut, so I thought perhaps the compressor was causing the battery drain, which I mentioned to my service advisor. As others on the forum have mentioned, the compressor runs off the 12v battery, not the traction batteries, so all I seemed to do is give the tech an excuse not to investigate the battery issue further. After they repaired the air strut, the test drive (on surface roads, not the highway) did not show the battery depletion issue so they released the car. Less than a week later the same thing happened.

Looking back at the invoice for the first visit, the tech ran some tests, showing no faults or warnings, but did note a “DTC P3007-62 Signal Compare Failure” and “Signal Compare DTC’s for all 36 battery cells logged”.

My service advisor called today to say they finally looked at the kitty (it’s been there for almost six days) and said the tech did see a fault but did not provide any additional information. She also said the Battery Health Report showed all cells within range, but as others have noted, that may not mean much.

They notified Jag North America for guidance and provided “session logs”. I hope to hear next steps tomorrow and will update this post with further details.

In the meantime, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Corceiro

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is not a traction battery issue. A bad cell would cut your real capacity with 25%. 2 bad cells I've never heard of, but you'd still have half. With 3 bad cells in 3 different chains you'd stil not drain the remaining quarter capacity over 20 miles. And if all 4 chains would have a bad cell, you would not move at all.

This is a 12V battery issue, for sure.
Low 12V power (or bad contact) confuses the BMS and other controls.
Connect a jumpstart battery, I am convinced that your traction battery will magically become undepleted immediately.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
It is most definitely a traction battery issue. Enough cells in enough modules are bad that the battery isn't accepting a proper charge any more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Indeed. And the car is showing depleted because it’s not getting the right info and acting inappropriately. I’m aware of a car that needed two packs replaced and they didn’t know the second needed replacement because the issue was hidden by the first. Only when the first was fixed was the second discovered.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
I might be using the wrong term but what I mean is 2 of the 36.
Yeah it's confusing. Technically, the battery pack is made of 432 cells arranged in 36 modules of 12 cells each. Confusingly, JLR refers to a module of 12 cells as a 'cell' in their battery reports. So to keep things clear I suggest to say 'cell' when referring to a real cell, and 'module' to refer to a set of 12 cells.

From what I can tell, JLR has no way to see the state of an individual cell. All they can test is the state of each module. I suspect that a "70% SoH" of a module translates to an essentially dead module with one or more dead cells.

While I do believe that JLR's engineers did a decent job designing the battery management system to work well under normal conditions, it sure seems that they utterly failed to consider failure modes comprehensively, leading to rosy diagnostics when in fact all helle has broken loose.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, then methinks a module replacement or two is in the cards.

I’m not that familiar with the early history of the ipace but there is also the possibility that other suppliers were involved in the pack architecture, making things even more confusing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have insight into the “DTC P3007-62 Signal Compare Failure” noted on my invoice?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Scienegeek is absolutely correct that the 432 cells are arranged in 36 modules.
Importantly, these 36 modules are organised in 4 parallel chains of 9 modules in series (each of 12 cells, so 4 parallel series of 108 cells each).
Each chain then delivers 108*3.6V=388V nominally and 58Ah, so 22.5kWh. If one cell fails then the entire chain of 108 will stop being functional. Loose one module, you loose 22.5kWh or 25% of the total capacity.

(A similar same approach is used for virtually all EVs: because of the need to get near 400V and the fact that a Li-Ion cell delivers nominally 3.6V, manufacturers need to put around 100 Li-Ion cells in series. Or 200, if they aim for 800V.)

So this is not just a case of one or more or many dead cells. The symptoms would be very different. Something else is up, and IMO the 12V system is always a good candidate for scrutiny...and easy to test.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just installed MyPace in TestFlight for iOS, and it shows my 12v @ 12.7v and the TCU @ 90%. It’s also showing 196 miles of range with an 83% charge level, which means the GoM should show 236 miles of range when charged to 100%. Yeah right, 208 is the highest range I’ve seen recently when charged to 100%!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just installed MyPace in TestFlight for iOS, and it shows my 12v @ 12.7v and the TCU @ 90%. It’s also showing 196 miles of range with an 83% charge level, which means the GoM should show 236 miles of range when charged to 100%. Yeah right, 208 is the highest range I’ve seen recently when charged to 100%!
I am new to this EV game so this is pretty much anecdotal. I not sure if it matters but I have found that shutting down all of the systems - the climate and entertainment - before shutting down the car and then charging the battery to full, will result in "proper" GOM readings for total mileage upon startup when charged. I'm sure you know that the moment you press the a/c button you'll see the range number dip. As others will point out, driving style and all that matter too.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
Looking back at the invoice for the first visit, the tech ran some tests, showing no faults or warnings, but did note a “DTC P3007-62 Signal Compare Failure” and “Signal Compare DTC’s for all 36 battery cells logged”.
Rectangle Font Circle Technology Parallel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the latest from the dealership is they charged the car again (the second time since the low battery warning on 9/30) but it stopped at 90% even though it said charging was complete, so JLR NA asked for the session logs again.

I assume they want the logs from the last charge session since they’ve only driven it three miles since they initially charged it after it was towed-in a week and a half ago! Still no mention of the P3007-62 error code the last time I took it in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wonder where the problem is that it’s takes this long to diagnose a problem that is happening with some regularity.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it’s a combination of customers paying full-freight being prioritized over warranty claims and general stalling since there aren’t many battery modules available because LG Chem is too busy fixing their mistakes with the Chevy Bolt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
they haven’t even gotten to the point where they are telling you it’s a module. It’s not
Like they said oh yea, yup. It’s the module going bad. We need a new one to come in.
They are still pecking around.Somebody at jlr should e putting two and two together on these things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have replied to other posts but thought my issue worthy of its own post.

Abbreviated backstory: on two separate occasions over the past couple of weeks, a nearly full battery was completely depleted within twenty miles. In both cases the drain occurred after driving on an interstate highway for about 10 miles. The first time also coincided with a leak in the right-front air strut, so I thought perhaps the compressor was causing the battery drain, which I mentioned to my service advisor. As others on the forum have mentioned, the compressor runs off the 12v battery, not the traction batteries, so all I seemed to do is give the tech an excuse not to investigate the battery issue further. After they repaired the air strut, the test drive (on surface roads, not the highway) did not show the battery depletion issue so they released the car. Less than a week later the same thing happened.

My service advisor called today to say they finally looked at the kitty (it’s been there for almost six days) and said the tech did see a fault but did not provide any additional information. She also said the Battery Health Report showed all cells within range, but as others have noted, that may not mean much.

They notified Jag North America for guidance and provided “session logs”. I hope to hear next steps tomorrow and will update this post with further details.

In the meantime, any advice is greatly appreciated.
First - sorry to hear about your troubles. Question; do you recall the time to charge when EV battery was depleted- curious if was actually that low or other malfunctions? Did app say same as the car ?
Hope your local dealer has some EV skills; mine not so much, not even a charger on site.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The verdict is in: two bad modules — one for each time I took it in for this issue, or one for each week it’s been in the shop this time.

Sorry, I’m venting, they’re “back ordered from the UK”. Are they shipped there from Korea?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts