Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am an older guy and my patience is wearing thin after going through the 400 page manual!!!

When using the voice navigation, it asks me every time to spell the state, spell the city and spell the road name! Really? This can't be right, can it? Why can't I just speak the whole address like every other navigation I have had in the last 15 years??

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Roger

·
Registered
980 Posts
It seems to be right, the infotainment and voice commands are way behind on JLR. it’s a general symptom of the state of infotainment system. JLR doesn’t seem to understand how much of the user experience with modern cars is in the infotainment. And honestly that software is infinitely less specialized and difficult than all the control and management code that is in the car already.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I-pace navigation is worse than navigation on my 16 Range Rover. At least I can do voice navigation in the Rover. The I-pace won't even do its spell-everything-for-me process with the vehicle in motion. Very frustrating to spell state, spell city, pick city from list, then get "function currently unavailable". Touching in the navigation works with car in motion, but the safer (no matter how crude) voice navigation would be preferred.

They really need to fix this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Guys:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am an older guy and my patience is wearing thin after going through the 400 page manual!!!

When using the voice navigation, it asks me every time to spell the state, spell the city and spell the road name! Really? This can't be right, can it? Why can't I just speak the whole address like every other navigation I have had in the last 15 years??

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Roger
I put everything into U.S. English and my voice command works great and no longer asks me to spell anything. The nav is missing some POIs in my city but generally has what I want. The tip came from my salesman and I was quite dubious that it would work but to my surprise it did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put everything into U.S. English and my voice command works great and no longer asks me to spell anything. The nav is missing some POIs in my city but generally has what I want. The tip came from my salesman and I was quite dubious that it would work but to my surprise it did.
Thank you.

Please can you explain to me how I go about 'put everything into US English'?

Thanks.

Roger

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you.

Thanks.

Roger
Sure but give me a couple of hours until the grandkids go down for a nap.
Start with: Select the Settings icon on the upper touchscreen. Select All Settings. From there I think it's either Language or General setting but I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you.

Thanks.

Roger
The salesman recommended that U.S. English be set in both the instrument panel and infotainment system. Here's how in the instrument panel:
1) Press the thumbwheel on the left side of the steering wheel. This will bring up the menu on the instrument panel.
2) Use arrow button by the thumbwheel to change to the Display menu.
3) Use thumbwheel to bring curser to Language option. Open this option and select U.S. English

Infotainment system
1) Press Settings icon
2) Select All Settings in the window that displays
3) Select Languages and Keyboards
4) Select System Language and navigate to and select U.S. English.

Voice Command has worked great for me with not only the navigation but also infotainment. I can tell the system to play any artist or simply say "Go home" and the car starts navigating.

Good luck and please let us know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The salesman recommended that U.S. English be set in both the instrument panel and infotainment system. Here's how in the instrument panel:
1) Press the thumbwheel on the left side of the steering wheel. This will bring up the menu on the instrument panel.
2) Use arrow button by the thumbwheel to change to the Display menu.
3) Use thumbwheel to bring curser to Language option. Open this option and select U.S. English

Infotainment system
1) Press Settings icon
2) Select All Settings in the window that displays
3) Select Languages and Keyboards
4) Select System Language and navigate to and select U.S. English.

Voice Command has worked great for me with not only the navigation but also infotainment. I can tell the system to play any artist or simply say "Go home" and the car starts navigating.

Good luck and please let us know if you have more questions.
Wow, Wow and Wow!!

You are the man!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I made the adjustments you suggested and it works!

No more spelling out street names, towns, etc.

Why wouldn't Jaguar preset this for the US market? More to the point, why wouldn't my dealer have preset this, or would that be asking too much?!

Thanks again.

Roger

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow, Wow and Wow!!

You are the man!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I made the adjustments you suggested and it works!

No more spelling out street names, towns, etc.

Why wouldn't Jaguar preset this for the US market? More to the point, why wouldn't my dealer have preset this, or would that be asking too much?!

Thanks again.

Roger
You're very welcome Rodger! I was going crazy because my Ford Sync has an awesome voice command and the I-Pace version was putrid. I have to thank my salesman as I called him to ask why the system sucked so bad. He knew right away what the problem was and talked me through it. Na zdarovia!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Wow, Wow and Wow!!
Roger
Same reason that almost no one knows about the I-Pace and the dealers don't seem to know much and do not seem to want to sell any?

BTW great tip @ CurtSprings2, much appreciated and it works! And makes the infotainment just a tiny bit less backwards. Now if they could look up destinations by name...

·
Registered
247 Posts
BTW great tip @ CurtSprings2, much appreciated and it works! And makes the infotainment just a tiny bit less backwards. Now if they could look up destinations by name...
I'll try to set a voice command destination. I think I've successfully set them if they're common names such as McDonald's or Walmart. I can't set anything with unusual or "foreign" names such as Caspian Cafe (best food in Colorado Springs). I'll report back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The salesman recommended that U.S. English be set in both the instrument panel and infotainment system.

Thanks again.

Roger
I cannot believe that the voice recognition software is accent specific, however I have the language set to UK English in both settings and it works great with my English accent.

Perhaps you should talk to your I-Pace with your best Monty Python.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I cannot believe that the voice recognition software is accent specific, however I have the language set to UK English in both settings and it works great with my English accent.

Perhaps you should talk to your I-Pace with your best Monty Python.
African or European swallows? My English accent stinks and is an embarrassment. My I-Pace would mutiny if I tried, lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I actually think the system is dangerous because the last time I tried to use it, I laughed so hard I almost lost control of the car.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I actually think the system is dangerous because the last time I tried to use it, I laughed so hard I almost lost control of the car.
It's crazy that my experience is completely different (Flying Circus pun intended). Voice command is still lagging especially when the car is first started but works very well. I can set addresses, many POIs, change radio station and band, play artist. The navigation works great. I can't change the I-Pod playlist via voice command but that's really the only minor bug.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's crazy that my experience is completely different (Flying Circus pun intended). Voice command is still lagging especially when the car is first started but works very well. I can set addresses, many POIs, change radio station and band, play artist. The navigation works great. I can't change the I-Pod playlist via voice command but that's really the only minor bug.
Perhaps for our friends north of the border we need a Canadian English setting, eh!

Having just returned from Montreal I can atest to the accent being a little different.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Perhaps for our friends north of the border we need a Canadian English setting, eh!

Having just returned from Montreal I can atest to the accent being a little different.
Interesting point! I'll ask my wife to use the system to see what happens. She's Indian and has a slight accent (although she claims that it is I who has the accent, lol) and will report back.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Did you drive? I didn't see any Red iPaces! If you drove, which way did you go (some routes south are pretty thin with the chargers).

·
Registered
139 Posts

Did you drive? I didn't see any Red iPaces! If you drove, which way did you go (some routes south are pretty thin with the chargers).
Nah. Sorry to disappoint you. I drove my I-Pace up in late October. Use the NY throughway and I-87. Took advantage of the free L3 charger at the Adirondack welcome center nears Queensbury. Rolled into downtown Montreal with 22miles to spare. With the temp forecast to be in the negative F range last Friday, I decide not to chance it and drove my wife's BMW X3.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nah. Sorry to disappoint you. I drove my I-Pace up in late October. Use the NY throughway and I-87. Took advantage of the free L3 charger at the Adirondack welcome center nears Queensbury. Rolled into downtown Montreal with 22miles to spare. With the temp forecast to be in the negative F range last Friday, I decide not to chance it and drove my wife's BMW X3.
I've used that spot as well heading North. I opted to drive down on the Vermont side to stop at the Hanford markets since I was worried about running low. Added a lot to the trip driving on the back roads along the lake stuck behind the occasional semi truck. H264 might give me the confidence to take the highway in NY state next time. A DC charger in Plattsburgh would make all the difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts