Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK hear me out. :surprise:

There were only two qualifiers if I was not to buy another I-Pace, and both IMO are inferior:
The Audi e-Tron
The Tesla Model X 100D

The Audi:
Has a high towing capacity, large rear seats, all the latest amenities (including massage seats which my wife loves), is quiet, and is priced very attractively.
Yet has medium performance, vague feeling, and sterile driving experience.

The Tesla:
Has a high towing capacity, medium rear seats, better autosteering, nearly Jaguar acceleration, and a fashionista image.
Yet lacks common tech like cross-traffic warning, blindspot mirrors, 360 view, HUD and cellphone integration.

If I had to keep one of them for 5 years, I'd buy another I-Pace and risk servicing issues. Neither is an acceptable 2020 EV. The Jag raised the bar. The Porsche, well, let's just say it's outside my reach.

But I only have to drive it for 1 to 2 years. My wife loved it. She will take it over when I buy what I really want.

I still feel in my heart of hearts, that the Jaguar I-Pace is the best all around EV under $100k. But since I use it for business, I can't risk service issues. I love my Leaper more than any car before it. But the good news is cars are getting better each year.

I finally received a buyback offer for my I-Pace. So I need to decide. The Audi is $20,000 cheaper with better amenities and ergonomics. Yet I will buy the proven Model X 100D because my wife likes it more.

·
Registered
546 Posts
IMO all EVs have their fair share of problems compared to ICE vehicles. The question for me was what company would back their products when it hits the fan.
Service is a HUGE problem for Tesla and if you thought the buyback process was a pain with JLR, you should see how Tesla treats their customers

From the lemon lawsuits, the X seems to be the Tesla with the most problems
I like the X and even helped sell one to a friend, but it comes with baggage

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I totally get that. The Audi is just a miss in design; hate to say it, I'm an Audi fan otherwise. I wouldn't want to drive an X but I also wouldn't hold it against the wife if she wanted one. It's a solid and spacious vehicle. :cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
McRat said:- "Tesla - Yet lacks common tech like cross-traffic warning, blindspot mirrors, 360 view, HUD and cellphone integration."

But surely these features will come with OTA updates in due course (and more?). Maybe the Audi and Jag can get service updates but not for many features.

Isn't Tesla service supposed to be getting better - and the cars more reliable? I don't know so I'm not being a fanbois but what I read in surveys seems to indicate that Tesla is now as reliable as most makes and better than the Germany crowd..... Our i3 has been good so far.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Congrats, and I hope the Model X is reliable for you. We all take chances.

I went from my 2019 BMW i3S being bought back right into my new I-Pace. Big risk for sure, but I love my I-Pace more today than we I took delivery a few months ago.

Generally the Model 3 and Model S are more reliable and problem free than the Model X.

While some Jaguar dealers are not prepared for the I-Pace in terms of servicing, most Tesla dealers are terrible in general.

I drove the Audi e-tron before I got my I-Pace, and while fit and finish were of course Audi perfect, the ride, handling and overall appearance are dismal. The e-tron felt like driving (and looking at) an electric posturepedic mattress!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
McRat said:- "Tesla - Yet lacks common tech like cross-traffic warning, blindspot mirrors, 360 view, HUD and cellphone integration."

But surely these features will come with OTA updates in due course (and more?). Maybe the Audi and Jag can get service updates but not for many features.

Isn't Tesla service supposed to be getting better - and the cars more reliable? I don't know so I'm not being a fanbois but what I read in surveys seems to indicate that Tesla is now as reliable as most makes and better than the Germany crowd..... Our i3 has been good so far.
Tesla cannot add HUD or blindspot mirrors to their cars, I'm not sure they can do cross traffic with software-only or they would have done it. Cheap cars have it now. They choose not to use CarPlay/AA. It's a business decision to avoid interoperability.

What I'm hearing from owners is that Tesla powertrain service is generally good in SoCal, but everything else, especially collision, is sketchy.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The X might treat you write, but that's a big roll of the dice. It's a seriously unreliable car. I'd get an S instead.
If it were just for me, I'd get the P3D+ and trick it out.

My wife tried the Model S, but didn't like it. She's currently driving a Caddy CT6 Platinum. The MS is a solid step down in everything but off-the-line acceleration. The ingress and egress, especially in the rear, is poor on the Model S. And the tech isn't there. The CT6 is all wheel steering, torque vectoring, magnetic suspension, handles like a 3500lb two door, massage seats, reclining rear seats with privacy curtains and individual HDTV, night vision, etc, etc. And it's ingress and egress is better to boot. Fit and finish is a couple steps up the food chain as well.

So why does she like the X? She says: The higher seating position, better ingress and egress, cargo capacity, and The Bling Factor. Let's be honest, celebrities are often seen in SoCal in Model X Teslas. She likes the image, but oddly enough thinks the styling is awful. It looks like a VW Beetle that grew up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great comments. I'll just add agreement that pre-Rivian, the BEV SUV space continues to present an odd quandary. If the I-Pace had towing, it would be very close to ticking the boxes on my wish list. E-Tron fails on range . . . I appreciate some of the upsides on the X (space, range) but couldn't handle the now classic Tesla bizarre design decisions (cool gull-wing minivan!), pricing, reliability/service fear factor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All of the Teslas appear to to be well engineered cars with great range and performance, but the styling? Blah. They couldn't have made them less interesting to look at if they tried. If they ever built a sharp looking 3, I'd probably be all over it. Meanwhile, I'm loving my I-Pace.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, take the X to the autocross and report how it does. ;)
I will probably test it at both AX and drags. But it didn't take very many corners to realize the MX isn't for AX. It feels every bit of it's nearly 5600 lb. The Jaguar is far better than either latest MS or MX. While the Model 3P will certainly give it a run, even the 3 lacks a connected feeling to the road. People say they handle excellent and it makes me wonder what else they've driven. It's good, but not great, and certainly not excellent. It's claim to fame is that burst of acceleration you get on corner exits, I'd venture a guess that the I-Pace is capable of a higher slalom speed than the 3P.

One thing nice about Tesla dealerships is they let you drive them without a sales person in the car. >:)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I will probably test it at both AX and drags. But it didn't take very many corners to realize the MX isn't for AX. It feels every bit of it's nearly 5600 lb. The Jaguar is far better than either latest MS or MX. While the Model 3P will certainly give it a run, even the 3 lacks a connected feeling to the road. People say they handle excellent and it makes me wonder what else they've driven. It's good, but not great, and certainly not excellent. It's claim to fame is that burst of acceleration you get on corner exits, I'd venture a guess that the I-Pace is capable of a higher slalom speed than the 3P.

One thing nice about Tesla dealerships is they let you drive them without a sales person in the car. >:)
I have test driven Teslas 3x, and the sales person was ALWAYS with us, for every second! In fact, they even drive it out of the parking garage!

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK hear me out. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/img]

There were only two qualifiers if I was not to buy another I-Pace, and both IMO are inferior:
The Audi e-Tron
The Tesla Model X 100D
Sorry to hear that your problems with the I-Pace are irreconcilable. I could tell from your posts that you really loved the concept and the drive, even if the car you had gave you problems. Many of us here have not had problems. That said I'm not niave enough to believe that I will never have problems with the car - there's a 2015 Subaru Forester sitting in our driveway in the event of anything dramatic happening with the I-Pace.
Maybe you'll grow to love the MX as much as you loved the leaper.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've taken extended, solo test drives of a Model X P90D, a Model 3P, and a BMW i3. The FRS? I pulled out of a dealership, drove 500 feet to a side road, drove 500 feet down the side road, did a U-turn with the rear wheels breaking free, drove 1000 feet back to the dealership, and wrote them a check.

I'm exaggerating. The side road was maybe 200 feet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts