Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun times!

Soooo I was driving to a client's home today and I got a transmission fault warning on the dash. The car still drove perfectly fine.

I pulled up to my destination went in, came out, and the car would start and I could select D, N, P, R but they would just blink and the car wouldn't move.

I left the car and went to lunch for an hour and came back and it was the same story. The gear indicator and the dash display of the gear just blink repeatedly.

In neutral, the car would roll at least.

Nearly 2 hours late Jaguar roadside finally got a tow truck to me and the car is at the dealer.

Anyone had this issue???

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
684 Posts
I'm sorry this happened. I have not heard of this one. I really hope your dealer finds the issue quickly. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hope it's just a switch fault, and a quick repair.

I haven't heard of that happening either, but that's a tough break. My sympathies and best wishes for better luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super strange all around.

I have owned at least 50 cars over the last 22+ years and I've honestly never had to call a tow truck on any other car. Even my '74 Alfa made it across the country without an incident 8 years ago!

This sort of worries me and makes me lose some trust in the car - sort of like others have said. What if I had been showing a home in the mountains with no reception? What if I had a client in the car? This just really makes me nervous about the car in general - more than I've I already was - considering all the other small issues I've had with this thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had something similar happen. It was a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Less than 15K miles on it. Had to be Towed from a mall parking lot and the repair cost was over $8K (covered under warranty). Can happen to even well regarded brands.

·
Registered
598 Posts
With an EV it is best to know where to park with such a warning because it will probably not restart.
Best to go direct to the dealer if it seems safe.

My LEAF was good but the RAV4-EV did similar more than once and out comes the tow truck. Best part was it would work upon arrival. One fix took six trips in on a tow truck before they believed me and decided to actually diagnose the vehicle. I-Pace is not unique in this area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the update from the dealer!

Apparently another fun problem with our cars is that the wiring harness is designed a bit too short. As such, over time it stretches and snaps - causing all sorts of problems.

I'm almost wondering if this explains a lot of the ghost warnings a lot of us have had??

The other good news with this is that the wiring harness is on backorder with not date one when it might be available. It could be a week or 6 months they said.

Would you start the buyback process at this point?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
684 Posts

Apparently another fun problem with our cars is that the wiring harness is designed a bit too short. As such, over time it stretches and snaps - causing all sorts of problems.

I'm almost wondering if this explains a lot of the ghost warnings a lot of us have had??

The other good news with this is that the wiring harness is on backorder with not date one when it might be available. It could be a week or 6 months they said.

Regards,
OMG. A week is bad, but up to 6 months?! If the wiring harness is too short, I wonder if this means all of us at one point will begin to have major problems too? So sorry you are going through this, but I really hope you are an exception and not the rule for this issue!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Regards,
It's frustrating.

It saddens me that my favorite car has serviceability issues. To make it worse, I've been driving all kinds of EVs in the last month. All are left wanting in comparison.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's sort of the issue in my mind as well - I have absolutely no idea what else I would get.

I do have a loaner but I don't really enjoy driving it - FPace 2.5T

Some people on the facebook groups have said they got a buyback because of this issue.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
I suspect if enough people made a stink about it, it could get classified as a full recall instead of a service action. It’s entirely possible for it to happen at speed on the freeway (if you put your foot down and that just happens to be the last straw), and if the front motor starts engaging the parking brake at speed the people behind could end up slamming into you. Just on this board there have been at least 4 people that have had to have this repair done.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's frustrating.

It saddens me that my favorite car has serviceability issues. To make it worse, I've been driving all kinds of EVs in the last month. All are left wanting in comparison.
OMG. A week is bad, but up to 6 months?! If the wiring harness is too short, I wonder if this means all of us at one point will begin to have major problems too? So sorry you are going through this, but I really hope you are an exception and not the rule for this issue!!!
I just had that wiring harness replaced. The issue was only identified a month ago. When I brought mine in for the problem (see thread about Gearbox Failure), there was another car in for 2 weeks before me (mid December) and they were just figuring out the issue. The pics the dealer took of the wire harness on that car (and sent to Jag to figure it out) were the ones actually used in the service bulletin. When I dropped mine off and they diagnosed, the cables were back-ordered with no delivery date. At that point, they had to develop a fix, make a new wiring harness spec, develop a new set of work instructions and then put the harness into production. Despite all these steps, we got the wiring harness within 3 weeks and installed it the next day. This is still an "new"issue so it will take a few weeks to get the harnesses made and distributed. Keep in mind that they probably have to make harnesses for cars with the issue AND new production to prevent them from having the issue in 6 months. Not an easy task. Going full recall right now ends up having a bunch of cars NOT needing servicing clogging up the system while cars needing service have to wait in line AND production gets affected as well.

I think they did a good job handling the issue for me. I had an Evoque loaner during the process, updates when I asked and got my car back as soon as they put the harness in (an 11+hr job) and did some software updates while they had the car.

I think I am being understanding because I took th ecar on a 1000km road trip the day after getting it back and I enjoyed the trip immensely. They did a good job dealing with a lousy issue, and how a problem is handled is important to me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My understanding (from the 5 series fuel pump failures) is that if it is a known design or component flaw with potentially dangerous operational implications (e.g., sudden power failure), it gets characterized as a mandatory recall by NHTSA -- if it comes to their attention.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We had this issue about a month after we got our car last April. It sat overnight, and mysteriously self resolved by morning. The dealer could find no evidence of a problem when I took it in to have it checked. Problem has not returned.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We had this issue about a month after we got our car last April. It sat overnight, and mysteriously self resolved by morning. The dealer could find no evidence of a problem when I took it in to have it checked. Problem has not returned.
And in there lies the actual problem. Their telemetrics do not report trouble codes and data like GM, Tesla and others. Their service network is not integrated either. And their ECM does not record fault history data. My car would 'fix itself' of it's TRACTION BATTERY FAULT errors for the first 15k miles. I don't even remember how many times I saw them, but since I was told it was nothing at 1,500 miles, I ignored it. Then one day a TBF did manifest symptoms. And it decayed rapidly.

So save your 'no problem' dealer report, or document it carefully.

Reactions: nath_h

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the traction battery fault error a bunch of times as well.

I'm wondering if your car suffered from the wiring harness issue as well McRat.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had the traction battery fault error a bunch of times as well.

I'm wondering if your car suffered from the wiring harness issue as well McRat.
One of the times they tried to fix the TBF, it was wiring they fixed. So it's plausible it's the harness.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts