Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 12,000 miles and it's been PERFECT so far, but recently I started getting some kind of brake pedal sensitivity warnings that I had to clear with the 'okay' button. I should have taken it right in but continued to drive it a day or so. While coming through a canyon I got a new indication about stability control and then not long after that some other strange message about a fault in the battery. The car basically died as I pulled into my driveway. Got it towed to the dealership, it's been 2 days and no word. They said they're doing some updates and mentioned that it was having an issue between charging and something....we'll see.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yikes, sorry to read your story and I'm glad you made it home. Hopefully it's just software. I had a loaner Evoque that died with stability, braking, and another 5 or 6 errors. It was a software problem. I think a few other members have experienced this issue and I believe it was a bad 12V battery and not the main drive battery.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
Oh no. All of our biggest fears!! Let's hope CurtSprings2' experience he had with a JLR product is the same as your problem! Please keep us posted. So sorry! No one needs added stress in times like this!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership just called, the car is ready for pick-up. There was some kind of fault in a secondary battery, it was shorting-out or something. They changed the battery, the software took and the car is fine.

There's nothing worse then losing your sense of reliability with a car. I have an old '37 Plymouth truck that sometimes wouldn't want to start after it got hot (probably vapor lock in the carb) and with a 6-volt battery you didn't have much cranking time before you needed a jump. I replaced the old battery with a new one (way more cranking time now) and went through the fuel system but even to this day when I go to start the truck, in the back of my mind I'm still saying "Please start, please start, please start" and at stop lights I slip the clutch a bit more then needed just because I don't want to risk stalling it and having it not start. I'm guessing it's like a spouse that cheated on you.....you'll never have complete faith again.

In this case I'm willing to warp reality into believing some Tesla owner cast a curse or spell on my I-Pace and a class 3 gremlin was rampant in the electrical system, now everything is fine and totally reliable! There's no car like Jaguar, there's no car like Jaguar, there's no car like Jaguar! : )

·
Registered
691 Posts
Glad that your car is back! For a few months I didn't trust our I-Pace to haul children after we experienced the dredded dual touchscreen failure. With temperatures in the mid-90s and toddlers in the car, we only had limited climate control. Everything has been fine since the repair and we're again hauling the grandkids with no reservations. I hope that the car will regain your trust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car seems fine. Oddly, it seems like it has more range now. Normally at 100% charge it would show a range of 204-206 but today I noticed it had a range of 187 and it said the battery was 75% charged....so I'm guessing it'll go higher on range when fully charged, we'll see

One odd thing, when I got the car, the regenerative braking was set to low and I only had a center single gauge. I changed it back to dual gauge but the information on the right gauge, the one that shows charging/output, now has a different representation for empty/full on the battery and it's in the center of the gauge. Something has changed since it previously had the empty/full along the bottom. Not sure what's missing but something is gone now.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
That was changed some time ago (H264?). I hate the new representation. The rectangular box in the middle of a circle (as opposed to the round gauge along the bottom) offends my sense of design. It looks tacked on at the last minute by a programmer without talking to the UI designer. Not displaying the SOC # and emphasizing the guessometer instead is also not so good.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
That was changed some time ago (H264?). I hate the new representation. The rectangular box in the middle of a circle (as opposed to the round gauge along the bottom) offends my sense of design. It looks tacked on at the last minute by a programmer without talking to the UI designer. Not displaying the SOC # and emphasizing the guessometer instead is also not so good.
I agree. It's a departure from their otherwise beautiful design.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
I will say the rectangular box for the guess-0-meter is more visible now, but not elegant and it looks cheap. The old curved meter on the bottom of the dial was Jaguar elegant, but I'm sure for some out of sight, out of mind and easy to not look at. This rectangular and very visible design, post H264, screams lawyer to me!!! :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 I-Pace with 18,000 km (11,000 miles) and never had an issue until recently. Just at the beginning of the pandemic in early March I started getting a message about the brakes being less effective to drive with caution. It kept coming back every few days ... Then one morning, I started the car and tried to backup and I had little power and the car was jerking with a big scratching noise. I put it in drive to move it back to the front of the driveway and more warnings came on until the last one Transmission Fault Detected when the parking indicator on the console started flashing and the car stopped moving completely... I had brought the car in to the dealership a few weeks before for a recall for software update ...

The car was towed to the dealership after figuring out how to force it into neutral to load it onto the float. A day later, the dealership closed for 6 weeks ...

Once the dealership re-opened, they started working on it. They claimed that there was a service bulletin on this issue which related to the auxiliary batteries and a related wiring harness which they replaced and recharged the auxiliary battery. It took 2-3 days and I was able to pick the car up.

This was 3-4 weeks ago. I have not used the car very much since but yesterday I needed to use it and the issue had returned!!! This time, right to the Transmission Fault Detected and the car would not move. Called the road-side assistance to come and tow the car. This time, armed with knowledge from before, I opened the FRUNK, remove the battery cover and attached my portable lithium booster pack to the auxiliary battery (passenger side of the car under the FRUNK) and was able to get the car in reverse and into the street to simplify the process of loading it onto the towing platform. It is now at the dealership ... a different one to see if they can resolve this problem.

In the future, I will always keep my lithium booster pack in the car if I ever get stuck. The thing that worries me now is getting stuck away from home and far from a Jaguar dealer while experiencing this problem. I was so happy with the car until a couple of months ago but this feeling of not being able to rely on it and the mystery around the cause / fix for the issue is making me nervous about driving it again further than a few kilometres from home ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seems like 12 v battery is the problem. When it died, car cannot function. They should simply charge the 12 v battery instead of charging it. Now, the problem is why it got bad. My none EV car once had bad alternator and it kills the battery. The car just lost power and it was very dangerous as it was still moving but without power brake and the power steering.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's been at the heart of many Tesla problems too. It's amazing how problematic these 12v batteries can be.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've always wondered if there's any correlation in 12v battery failure rates between those that always leave their car with the charger plugged into the car as opposed to those that charge and disconnect from the charger as soon as fully charged. There shouldn't be, but who knows?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've always wondered if there's any correlation in 12v battery failure rates between those that always leave their car with the charger plugged into the car as opposed to those that charge and disconnect from the charger as soon as fully charged. There shouldn't be, but who knows?
It shouldn't make a difference because the 12V battery is not being charged when the cable is plugged in. I wonder if it's related to not driving often and the 12V slowly drains.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts