Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked in another thread how I adapted my newly acquired I-Pace for winter. (I live in Toronto where we have the real thing!)

For my winter set up, I put on 19 inch wheels from a Jaguar F-Pace with Continental winter specific tires. They replaced the HSE 22” factory wheels and the P-Zero summer-only performance tires.

Although the diameter of the winter wheels is smaller, the winter tires have considerably taller sidewalls than the low profile summer tires, which means total diameter is very close. My speedometer is within 2% with the new winter set up which is close enough for me

Rather than give you all the wheel/tires specs, here is a link to an online calculator that illustrates the impact of a wheel/tire size change on variables such as speedometer reading and suspension clearance. Plug your stock setup in one side, and your proposed setup on the other, and voila.

Two further notes: the offset (ET) on the new winter wheels was different than the stock I-Pace 22s. The winter wheels would have worked without them (just), but I did install 8mm spacers which provided extra suspension clearance and improved the look. The aluminum spacers were inexpensive (from Amazon) and very easy to install.

Finally, the TPMS sensors in the winter setup initialized seamlessly after driving a few kilometers.

After two sure-footed months in winter weather, I prefer the I-Pace on ice and in snow over the BMW SUV it replaced.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was asked in another thread how I adapted my newly acquired I-Pace for winter. (I live in Toronto where we have the real thing!)

For my winter set up, I put on 19 inch wheels from a Jaguar F-Pace with Continental winter specific tires. They replaced the HSE 22” factory wheels and the P-Zero summer-only performance tires.

Although the diameter of the winter wheels is smaller, the winter tires have considerably taller sidewalls than the low profile summer tires, which means total diameter is very close. My speedometer is within 2% with the new winter set up which is close enough for me

Rather than give you all the wheel/tires specs, here is a link to an online calculator that illustrates the impact of a wheel/tire size change on variables such as speedometer reading and suspension clearance. Plug your stock setup in one side, and your proposed setup on the other, and voila.

Two further notes: the offset (ET) on the new winter wheels was different than the stock I-Pace 22s. The winter wheels would have worked without them (just), but I did install 8mm spacers which provided extra suspension clearance and improved the look. The aluminum spacers were inexpensive (from Amazon) and very easy to install.

Finally, the TPMS sensors in the winter setup initialized seamlessly after driving a few kilometers.

After two sure-footed months in winter weather, I prefer the I-Pace on ice and in snow over the BMW SUV it replaced.
Do you have any pcs of your finished setup? I would be curious what the 8mm spacers look like with the wheels in the end. Do they extend past the fenders?

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
170 Posts
I also put dedicated winter wheels and tires on my I-Pace, although I use 20” wheels for both applications. Our winters in the Rocky Mountains are also legit, and I can tell you that the I-Pace performs very well in winter conditions. I’d say that it is more sure-footed on slippery roads than the Audi SQ5 that it replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any pcs of your finished setup? I would be curious what the 8mm spacers look like with the wheels in the end. Do they extend past the fenders?
They do not extend past the fenders. 8mm is only 3/10ths of an inch so I wouldn’t expect them to. I did mount one wheel temporarily without a spacer to compare it to a wheel with the spacer. I could visually tell the difference — it looked better.

I’ll grab a photo and post it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the promised view of the winter wheels and tires with 8mm spacers installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those alloys look real nice and as far as I can see, they're quite inexpensive too.
Would you say they're any good?

Of course I don't see them being available outside of Canada, but doesn't hurt to know they're out there as an option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those alloys look real nice and as far as I can see, they're quite inexpensive too.
Would you say they're any good?

Of course I don't see them being available outside of Canada, but doesn't hurt to know they're out there as an option.
Good eye! Yes, these are Braelin‘s, which are a FastCo brand aimed at the luxury car market. I’m not in the industry, but being a car enthusiast I do pay a little bit of attention. FastCo is. Canadian company that has done well, continuing to expand both their brand portfolio (they are one of the top 8 wheel manufacturers globally) and their product offering.

For context, our wheels (and cars) spend winter months dirty. Many people living in wintery North America literally won’t wash their cars for the worst four months of the year. Snow and rain and muck from the roads are what we live with. It makes no sense to me to put winter tires on expensive wheels because of where I live.

Braelin alloys like these will cost about $1200 Canadian for four. One of the OEM Jaguar 22” alloy-carbon wheels that came on my I-Pace is C$2700 here!

I get spending unjustifiable sums on wheels for non-winter use. They are automotive jewelry. I run German-made HRE’s on a BMW convertible for summer fun. It’s like a Swiss watch vs something you’d buy in a department store for $50. For the purpose of determining the time, they are functionally equivalent. (FastCo wheels are well reviewed by users.)

ps: in a nod to impractical cosmetic appeal, I have ‘roaring jaguar’ centre pieces for these winter wheels that I haven’t gotten around to installing yet 😁

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks sweet! I am going to look into this for my car. I just leave the car in the garage when it is snowy or icy with my 22’s on it and wind up only putting 10,000kms on it per year. It would be good to get more use out of it and this looks like a good way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks sweet! I am going to look into this for my car. I just leave the car in the garage when it is snowy or icy with my 22’s on it and wind up only putting 10,000kms on it per year. It would be good to get more use out of it and this looks like a good way.
...and with its land rover heritage, it is a sure footed kitty on treacherous terrain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts