Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

My 1st & My LAST Jaguar

30K views 101 replies 39 participants last post by  dwpatter 
#1 · (Edited)
As much as I love driving my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE, I can't deal with the all the problems, whether big or small with this car brand. I am not trading my I-Pace in now, but will likely do so in 3 years after my I-Pace is fully paid for and the Porsche Taycan EV and Audi E-Tron GT arrive here in the US. This Jaguar I-Pace has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and driven. I am saddened to experience first-hand the mechanical and computer software problems of this vehicle brand (and I know it's not just specifically with the I-Pace) as I really thought that Tata Motors and JLR have greatly improved the Jaguar vehicles in the past several years. That only seems to be true in terms of the design and expanded vehicle offerings of the brand, but definitely NOT the case in terms of build quality and reliability. In my experience now, JLR doesn't hold a candle to other luxury and sports car brands such as Porsche, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc.

Whether it's their software bugs in their Touch Pro Duo system, terrible Navigation system (specifically with the simply pathetic Voice Commands which actually work only 50% of the time), unexplained strange but dangerous mechanical failures such as sudden acceleration in reverse (no fault ever determined & vehicle just handed back without any fix or software update, btw), and now my I-Pace A/C compressor (and/or something else with the A/C?) just failed so my I-Pace was blowing hot, humid air for a few days in 93 degree heat here in South Florida before bringing it in to my dealer for repair. It ALL just sucks! I mean the vehicle is just 4.5 months old and the Air Conditioning just failed...WTF????? :surprise: :mad:

The fact is that my I-Pace is almost at my dealer's service department ("in the shop" as they say) MORE than I actually get to drive and enjoy it!!!! And that simply is NOT right. :(

Anyhow, just thought I would share as I try to be a very positive person and I know things will always work out, but in no way, shape, or form will I ever buy and drive another Jaguar ever again!! I drove my MB AMG for 93,000 mi. and my Porsche for > 56,000 mi....not 1 problem with either of those vehicles!!! Granted they are NOT all electric EVs but I bet whatever German EV I get next will be 100x more reliable than this Jaguar I-Pace even if it has a few issues at the beginning. When my loan on this I-Pace is fully paid for and I own it outright (about 3 years from now), I will trade this unreliable piece of junk Jag in for a much more reliable German EV and I will say "goodbye and good luck" to Jaguar forever. BTW - rumor is that JLR is up for sale as the 2 brands have been losing money hand over first the past few years. :surprise::crying: Gee, I wonder why?

See less See more
Reactions: phil and fedorachef
#2 ·
Yea, I'm in the same boat. I've been going through the buy back process for months now and I can't believe how painful and long it is. I literally had to get a local news station involved to help get some traction on this. I'm only getting another I-Pace because I would have to pay usage fees if I didn't and would have to pay back the EV credits I received. I even considered going with the Porsche Panamera Hybrid to hold me over until the Taycan is available. Porsche told me 12-18 months for delivery of Taycan. I crossing my fingers the new I-Pace won't have the same mechanical issues and will hold me over for a couple years then I'll dump it. I'm sure it will have the same software problems and maybe in the next six months or so the software will get improved but doubtful seeing how long its already been with no real improvements.

#3 ·
Well, live and learn for both of us. Strange because my wife's 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar is great! We did have a lot, and I mean a lot of software problems with the Touch Pro Duo system and Navigation, 4G and Traffic Info connectivity problems, etc. in the first 9-12 months of ownership with that JLR vehicle, but knock on wood, after several (like 6+) software updates on our Velar, and it's been fairly stable for a while with zero mechanical problems. My understanding was that the I-Pace's Infotainment system is the same as the LR RR Velar, albeit the EV components of the system but geez, way way too many problems in the I-Pace. I don't give a crap if it won The Best New Vehicle of 2019 or whatever, it's still an unreliable piece of crap in my book! What good is it, no matter how great it drives, if it sits in your dealer's service department for days and weeks at a time???? :mad:

Reactions: fedorachef
#4 ·
This is disturbing to read as I am researching if I want to buy an I-Pace (and I thought I did). Do people here have the feeling that lots of people have severe problems like this, or is it more common to have just minor problems like software glitches that aren't show stoppers? In any case if you are the one with severe problems it really sucks, but I'd like to know how likely that is to be me.

#7 ·
Probably shouldn't say this, but as I'm not superstitious, I will: I have had zero problems with my I Pace. Only a few thousand klicks so there's time yet, but so far everything is functioning perfectly. I don't even find the infotainment lag particularly problematic. (And it's much more fun to drive than my BMW 650ix Gran Coupe.)

#8 ·
Consider yourself lucky. :wink2: Certainly surprised you haven't had any issues nor find the Infotainment system slow and buggy. My I-Pace absolutely has the latest software updates and the voice recognition for Navigation works 50% of the time at best and it's still super slow compared to other lux vehicles I've been in; it's just horrible. Then, I hop into my 2012 Nissan GT-R and the voice recognition for Navi and other controls work flawlessly for everything...and it's 7 years old! Oh, and of course none of our other cars have ever had any issues with the air conditioning. Glad you have a trouble-free I-Pace but as you said, there's still time, lol. I have > 8k on mine (although I would've had > 10k mi. already if not for all the issues and time it spends at my dealer). :surprise:

#9 ·
I'm somewhere in the middle at this point.

The IPace really is pretty incredible to drive. I got in my Porsche 911 Turbo after storing it for the winter and while that car is silly fast, the lag now feels like forever as I've become so used to the instant tq of an EV.

Would I buy my IPace all over again? Probably not. I would have found a way to buy my diesel X5 from the lease and been just fine - and had a bunch more cash in my pocket.

The tech bothers me a ton. Voice control is truly pathetic. I changed it to the US voice which did help a bit but overall, it's SO slow and as mentioned above doesn't recognize the command or address very well at all. Even Apple Carplay fails fairly often now - it keeps saying my device isn't compatible - it's an iPhone 7 and works probably 2/3 of the time.

I think there is a great car somewhere in this car. I think lack of funding has really hurt this car, sadly.

I'm pretty much giving in to the fact that when I sell it in 2 years my 90k car will be worth about 30k. My money manager will love that...

#12 · (Edited)
I'm somewhere in the middle at this point.

The IPace really is pretty incredible to drive. I got in my Porsche 911 Turbo after storing it for the winter and while that car is silly fast, the lag now feels like forever as I've become so used to the instant tq of an EV.

Would I buy my IPace all over again? Probably not. I would have found a way to buy my diesel X5 from the lease and been just fine - and had a bunch more cash in my pocket.

The tech bothers me a ton. Voice control is truly pathetic. I changed it to the US voice which did help a bit but overall, it's SO slow and as mentioned above doesn't recognize the command or address very well at all. Even Apple Carplay fails fairly often now - it keeps saying my device isn't compatible - it's an iPhone 7 and works probably 2/3 of the time.

I think there is a great car somewhere in this car. I think lack of funding has really hurt this car, sadly.

I'm pretty much giving in to the fact that when I sell it in 2 years my 90k car will be worth about 30k. My money manager will love that...
Haha. I agree with everything you said. Hoping after 3 years and approx 50-60k mi., my $90k Jaguar I-Pace will still be worth at least $40k as a trade-in, but wouldn't be surprised if it's worth less. That would indeed suck big time. Can't believe the Teslas still hold their value so well...it's perplexing to me. But, in 3 years, it may also be time for me to say goodbye to my '12 700HP/TQ GT-R Black Ed. (which should still be worth $45k-$55k or so...currently worth about $62k) as well...so I may trade in 2 vehicles for 1 Porsche or Audi EV. :grin2:

#11 ·
I have to use the regular nav from time to time simply because Car Play fails to work.

At the same time, I really hate Car Play because it's not wireless and I absolutely hate being forced to plug in.

OOOOH and when I am plugged in for CarPlay, I can't receive calls through the built in speaker in the car - I have to actually use the speaker on the phone to hear people. Neat!

#13 ·
Yeah, I'm anticipating this thing to drop in value like a rock. Jags are famous for depreciation--though I lucked out on my F-Pace--I bought it for $56k and sold it 2.5 years later for $48k with 25k miles on it. Best thing that could happen for resale value is for the federal government to kill the EV rebate--its making the initial depreciation really tough on EVs.

And I think you'd be surprised on Tesla's holding their values so well. WIth the 1547 different price drops they've done in the past 5 months out of desperation, lots of people have found themselves with a car that is in freefall in value. Tesla is also doing nothing to support resale value which is going to come bite them in the ass big time--among other things. They don't even do any prep/repair on their used cars--and they don't have a formal CPO program anymore.

#14 ·
Also, you have an iPhone 7--have you been doing software updates on it? I honestly have had not a single issue with CarPlay in the 5 months I've had my car, but I have the latest model XS Max and religiously perform iOS updates on it when they come out--including the one released today, 12.3.

#15 ·
Honestly I feel bad you guys have had so much troubles, fortunately I can't say the same. My car hasn't had any problems. I agree the in car nav sucks, along with the voice nav, BUT I found an easy work around that works pretty well. It turns out that the Jaguar Route planner app actually works fairly well. So when I want to go somewhere I just search for it on the app, and then it passes it to the car. It does take a little getting used to because it always tries to take you on "foot" to your car first so when you are already in the car it gets that part confused, but even that is easy to work around once you play with the app.

Once the nav is set in the car it seems to wor very well for me. I often compare it to waze and mostly it is pretty close

#16 ·
Meanwhile, my Tesla Model X has been in the shop about a dozen times for various issues, ranging from the front driver door latch ceasing to work to the counterbalance spring in the falcon wing door snapping off its mount to the car flat-out refusing to start to random computer reboots to shuddering under medium acceleration to the huge panel gaps. Aside from some of the software wonkiness everyone has been talking about, my I-PACE experience has been comparatively brilliant.

#18 ·
While these issues suck, and a rare few are having real issues, most of them are just software BS. So I use bluetooth and the car doesn't charge when I want it to. Shrug. It drives absolutely wonderfully, which is the reason I buy cars. Compared to the crap Tesla peeps face on a regular basis, the ipace is fine.

Reactions: epirali
#19 · (Edited)
Guess I'm just used to the very stable, fairly trouble-free and reliable vehicles like my previous Porsche & Mercedes-Benz AMG; can't say the exact same for BMW but maybe they're not as finicky these days (had a 2006 335i which had some electrical issues). I may be slightly different than most as I use my I-Pace or whatever everyday car for my business & family, driving > 20k mi. per year, so I need a vehicle which will be relatively trouble-free; I simply cannot be bringing it in to the shop every few weeks!

And, while I agree the I-Pace fit & finish are excellent/interior materials are high quality and it drives great, it's always the on-going software problems and any mechanical (big or small) that ruin the entire experience, imho (especially when it takes your Jaguar dealer days or weeks to fix the problems)! :frown2:

#20 ·
So far the only significant issue for mine has been an AC mechanical failure. The system leaked out it's freon. First service, they just filled it without finding the leak, so 3 weeks later it I was right back where I started. This time, I hope they really fixed it.

It's been a fun car. While it could use some more power, I still enjoy driving it more than any other street car I've owned so far. Yeah, the software is buggy. But I've been using computers daily since 1975, so software bugs to me are the norm, not the exception. I FJKG HATE MY FJKG IPHONE X with a passion. Buttons on the side where you hold it? Gosh, maybe cars should have buttons on the circumference of the steering wheel. They change the user interface just pizz the users off. Poor file handling, no USB / microSD support in 2019? WTF is it with the nostalgia nonsense, I didn't appreciate the lack of interoperability in my Apple II either.

Reactions: phil
#42 ·
It's been a fun car. While it could use some more power, I still enjoy driving it more than any other street car I've owned so far. Yeah, the software is buggy. But I've been using computers daily since 1975, so software bugs to me are the norm, not the exception. I FJKG HATE MY FJKG IPHONE X with a passion. Buttons on the side where you hold it? Gosh, maybe cars should have buttons on the circumference of the steering wheel. They change the user interface just pizz the users off. Poor file handling, no USB / microSD support in 2019? WTF is it with the nostalgia nonsense, I didn't appreciate the lack of interoperability in my Apple II either.
You want more power???? Eegads man!

Iphones don't have sd card slots so they can charge you much more for a slightly larger storage space. Poor file handling to get you to use their services and streaming. It's not nostalgia. It's control. Sure they could make a laptop that allows upgrading of memory and storage, or they can charge 10x market value for those same parts and solder them to the motherboard. I was a huge Apple fan long ago. Now I fart in their general direction.

Guess I'm just used to the very stable, fairly trouble-free and reliable vehicles like my previous Porsche & Mercedes-Benz AMG; can't say the exact same for BMW but maybe they're not as finicky these days (had a 2006 335i which had some electrical issues). I may be slightly different than most as I use my I-Pace or whatever everyday car for my business & family, driving > 20k mi. per year, so I need a vehicle which will be relatively trouble-free; I simply cannot be bringing it in to the shop every few weeks!

And, while I agree the I-Pace fit & finish are excellent/interior materials are high quality and it drives great, it's always the on-going software problems and any mechanical (big or small) that ruin the entire experience, imho (especially when it takes your Jaguar dealer days or weeks to fix the problems)! :frown2:
My E60 BMWs had more and more serious issues. In the end, these issues are all relatively unimportant to me. I just enjoy the drive so much. I can scream through the twisties and then raise the car up and bomb through the various dips and bumps of urban and suburban driving. No slowing to not scrape. My truck is the same way. "What? There's a curb? LOL!"

#21 ·
Sorry you've had such problems. So far, for me the infotainment system has been the buggiest part of this I-Pace ownership. The only thing they have fixed are the front dampers and springs because of noise.

In my last car the Audi A3 e-tron, the remote connectivity gave me a lot of trouble with initial connection and also regular connection. Remote connection with the I-Pace has been mostly problem free (except for a few days last week).

#22 ·
I'm also sorry you guys have had a bad experience. JLR is really dropping the ball with customer service. It's really mindblowing. The first rule of modern retail is make the customer enjoy his experience throughout the sales process and post-sale. The companies that cannot execute on this will become irrelevant.

I do get the sense that customer service varies considerably from dealership to dealership. For those who have options in their area make sure to shop around and inquire from customers about the service departments.

I have been extremely fortunate. I needed to bring mine in for a software update a few days after purchase. It was frustrating (I had expected OTA) and it ended up taking longer than expected. But other than that my I-Pace has been phenomenal. The buggy infotainment can be annoying at times, but IMO its completely compensated for by the handling, acceleration, and luxurious feel of the interior. My I-Pace is my happy place. As soon I hit "D" i forgot all my troubles.

#24 ·
JLR is really dropping the ball with customer service. It's really mindblowing.
Watching the reports here for the many months, I have to agree. That's the really sad part.

Gator: Really sorry to see you're having more trouble than most. I've been in the boat of having a trouble-free car of another brand while watching my compadres suffer badly around me. If I were in your shoes I would have dropped it like a hot potato.

Yes, everyone will take a depreciation hit, partly because of government 'incentives'. But it might not be as bad as you fear.

#23 ·
Although I like to think the car is relatively trouble free, as I prepared to make it’s first service appointment after 8000+ miles, the length of the list I had for issues surprised me:
- stuttering/delayed response rear camera
- front camera lens missing
- autonomous emergency braking non-op
- clunky front suspension
- AC non-op
- squawking brake pedal (sometimes)
- infotainment issues, including
- laggy response, especially at boot-up
- shortly after I made the appointment, my screens mysteriously refused to respond, leaving the radio on at all times and no way to control the climate system. 48 hours later they suddenly began working again
- very, very rarely connected to my phone WiFi on it’s own (funny thing is, since the blank screen problem my WiFi connects more than 75% of the time)
- about 25% of the time the car will declare my phone cannot be found and CarPlay is unavailable, even though CarPlay is working and I can make and receive calls on in the car.
- randomly the car will allow me to answer a call, but I cannot hear the person on the other end unless I unplug the phone and switch to the handset. Other times it works as it should.

#27 · (Edited)
Although I like to think the car is relatively trouble free, as I prepared to make it’s first service appointment after 8000+ miles, the length of the list I had for issues surprised me:
- stuttering/delayed response rear camera
- front camera lens missing
- autonomous emergency braking non-op
- clunky front suspension
- AC non-op
- squawking brake pedal (sometimes)
- infotainment issues, including
- laggy response, especially at boot-up
- shortly after I made the appointment, my screens mysteriously refused to respond, leaving the radio on at all times and no way to control the climate system. 48 hours later they suddenly began working again
- very, very rarely connected to my phone WiFi on it’s own (funny thing is, since the blank screen problem my WiFi connects more than 75% of the time)
- about 25% of the time the car will declare my phone cannot be found and CarPlay is unavailable, even though CarPlay is working and I can make and receive calls on in the car.
- randomly the car will allow me to answer a call, but I cannot hear the person on the other end unless I unplug the phone and switch to the handset. Other times it works as it should.

Whoa! That's quite a list of problems. :eek:

#26 ·
Thats just that - headache of early adopters)). I got my first Leaf back in 2012 - leased it (after the first guys paid $450 a month for it) for about $90 a month after the rebates. My second one was the best looking EV out there - Cadillac ELR that no-one wanted after the 1st year of production due to ridiculous MSRP of 80k - got it for 30k off MSRP and eventually sold it after 2 years for 31k - ended up with monthly premiums of $240 (while early leases were for $800+). Both cars had issues but were fun to drive. As long as U can get them reasonably cheap your subjective experience would improve significantly)). But agreed - based upon what U are complaining about here - that car isnt worth the premium and I wouldnt be surprised to see much bigger discounts by the end of the year. Thats were I wlll come in)). Thats if I can get rid of my diesel MB.
BTW - before you complain about Jaguar dealerships - try Cadillacs ones))

#28 ·
I'm totally with you on car play - it's so strange! It will sometimes work, sometimes not. It will let me call out just fine but when I get a call I have to put it on speaker to hear them.

Today I was showing homes in a mountain area and needed to use car play to get back home. Well, it chose then not to work and wouldn't work even after unplugging the phone and plugging it in again. It just kept telling me it wasn't a supported device! So basically I was stuck and had to spend 10 minutes getting the built in nav to understand where I wanted to go and what state I was in etc... It was ridiculous and frustrating and made me look quite unprofessional...

#29 ·
For the CarPlay issue, there was an SSM posted in Topix a couple of days ago about that exact topic.
Issue: Apple devices with iOS version 12.2 may experience any of the following concerns when connected to the infotainment system using the USB cable and CarPlay mode active.

When a call is received the driver cannot hear the third party caller although the caller can hear the driver with USB cable connected. If the cable is disconnected during the call the third party may then hear the driver.
Possible satellite navigation map display concerns with USB cable connected.
Cause: Potential Apple software related concern.
Action: The concern appears to have occurred since the release of iOS 12.2, please contact Apple support or visit an Apple store for further advice.
Note: Please do not replace the Infotainment Master Controller or related components for the above concern unless otherwise directed by Jaguar.

#30 ·
It's always much easier to complaint than praise.
I've had mine just nearly 5 months now. I love it. Done nearly 8000 miles and the only problem I had was on the first day of delivery when the front storage compartment latch didn't connect correctly so the car didn't lock. Dealer fixed immediately and has been smooth sailing ever since.
It has taken quite some time to get used to the reduced visibility, learn some of the tricks of the software which isn't the best (the sales person don't know enough about these cars - you'll learn much more on this forum!)
I still think space best EV on the road. Feels like a luxury car where the tesla doesn't. Tesla wins on technology and maybe range/efficiency - but the i-pace is true luxury and unique. It's taken me a while to get used to it but love it. If only they weren't quite so expensive people wouldn't be complaining when things aren't 100% perfect!

#31 ·
I really do feel for the folks who have trouble cars, some of which sound like bona fide lemons.

I guess I'd say that if you're still excited about the car as a concept, if it just danm worked well, you could get a replacement and chances are that it will not be a lemon .. given that the car works really well and reliably for most of us. But I totally get the let down, which I'm sure suppresses enthusiasm for a replacement.

#36 · (Edited)
I really do feel for the folks who have trouble cars, some of which sound like bona fide lemons.

I guess I'd say that if you're still excited about the car as a concept, if it just danm worked well, you could get a replacement and chances are that it will not be a lemon .. given that the car works really well and reliably for most of us. But I totally get the let down, which I'm sure suppresses enthusiasm for a replacement.
Love the car design and quality of the luxury interior of the I-Pace. Love the way it drives, handles, and accelerates. Just loathe the reliability or lack there of, the software issues (navigation, voice commands, connectivity problems, and slow speed of the entire system), and JLR customer service and how they handle service & repairs.

Coming from Porsche and Mercedes-Benz, this Jaguar isn't even in the same ballpark in those areas. Will be excited again about my I-Pace IF it stays relatively trouble free for the next few years BUT still won't ever buy another Jaguar...won't take another chance! The Porsche Taycan or Audi E-Tron GT (or possibly another upcoming Porsche or Audi model? and wish MB would come to market with something better than the seemingly slow and boring EQC which just looks like an electric GLC ) will likely be my next EV...and for that, I will be truly excited again! :wink2:

#33 ·
This far into the mountains on switchbacks and such, yes. I don't carry a map anymore because it's 2019 and every other car I've had for the last 10 years has had a working navigation system.

#37 ·
Ps.: I spent half an hour on his computer, showing him EVgo, Chargepoint, and EA web sites and how to find chargers. He didn't know that EA has a charger 10 miles down 580 from the dealership, and that was after having sold six iPaces. But he did tell me to always do a slow boot, wait until the center screen has loaded until pressing D.

#40 ·
I like mine. If the battery holds up like I expect I plan to drive this thing for at least 15 years. I am a low tech user. XM/FM music is fine. NAV works great but I have no desire to talk to my vehicle. Screens hang up a bit periodically but eventually resets while driving. The drive is wonderful and that is why I bought the car. I assume by the first service at 24 months there should be a software update. As far as I am concerned I-Pace is the best looking, best driving Electric vehicle available. I do hope all those with troubles get the issues resolved so you can fall in love again.

#41 ·
In 5 months, I have only had the screen not paint twice, and I just sat in the car with it off for a minute, and started it again, and it's fine.

I don't hit START until the lower screen shows green. And, I don't go into D (drive) until the main screen shows my HOME screen.

Other than that, it's totally reliable.

#46 · (Edited)
Drove my 2009 AMG to 93k mi. without 1 single problem! I have > 45k mi. on my 2012 Nissan GT-R (which has been modded to a custom-tuned full-bolt-on running on E85 fuel and it's been on the track) without 1 single problem. Hand-built and top of the line vehicles are better. :wink2: Not a single problem in my Porsche Macan Turbo after 54k mi when I sold it, awaiting the delivery of my I-Pace. Now, I have this lemon. Love the way it drives, but I'm spending more time in POS bottom of the line, no option Jaguar loaners than my loaded $90k I-Pace. :mad:

#49 ·
Reading all these posts gives me an uneasy feeling that I've just spent $90,000 on something which I can't truly rely. Unlike some of you who have multiple vehicles, this is our primary car, and we need it to work. While it has not been a disaster like some report, it has had issues including stranding my wife at work and not powering up to drive (worked fine w/o explanation the next day--no codes recorded by computer). There's been a few other bugs, like the radio turning on randomly (twice), start button occasionally needing to be pushed twice to start, and some sort of fault at a EA charger that had us sitting around for a nervous hour trying to get it to charge.

On the other hand, the car is phenomenal. Like many of you, I've had them all...Porsches, Mercedes, many BMW's...I find the I-Pace in a class by itself, at least for now until the Taycan comes out. The luxury, handling, speed, quietness...just tremendous. I'm really, really hoping these early bugs get ironed out.

Does anyone think Jaguar will get their hands around these early bugs, and we can expect a more stable car down the road? Or, is this just wishful thinking?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.