Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 S
112 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... My 1-1/2 month old I-Pace just started exhibiting this same musty A/C smell at startup. Did anyone ever get this issue resolved to their satisfaction?

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
754 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... My 1-1/2 month old I-Pace just started exhibiting this same musty A/C smell at startup. Did anyone ever get this issue resolved to their satisfaction?
Crazy that my over 6 month old (bought new) I-Pace still has that amazing new car smell. The quality of the leather Jaguar uses is excellent, but I have had several occasions upon start up that I get a very strong, musty smell coming from the HVAC system.

IMO, it is more pronounced on humid days. Luckily, it ALWAYS goes away pretty quickly and never returns that day.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Crazy that my over 6 month old (bought new) I-Pace still has that amazing new car smell. The quality of the leather Jaguar uses is excellent, but I have had several occasions upon start up that I get a very strong, musty smell coming from the HVAC system.

IMO, it is more pronounced on humid days. Luckily, it ALWAYS goes away pretty quickly and never returns that day.
I don't know if there's any AC that's immune from the musty smell. It's Lactobacteria (yes, same as smelly feet) that find a perch in some moist corner of the climate ducts and ... they just persist because it's a good environment for them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't know if there's any AC that's immune from the musty smell. It's Lactobacteria (yes, same as smelly feet) that find a perch in some moist corner of the climate ducts and ... they just persist because it's a good environment for them.
I cannot recall ever having a smelly AC but perhaps my nose doesn't work well because my wife says I don't smell too good. :p

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I cannot recall ever having a smelly AC but perhaps my nose doesn't work well because my wife says I don't smell too good. :p
You guys are probably too young to remember the comedian, but that sounds like a Henny Youngman joke. “Take my wife...please”

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
The cat has smelly feet? Hmmm. Go to a zoo with an animal type jaguar. Compare smells. If they are the same, check the options list for your I-pace to see if it has the genuine jaguar smell option. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree that most cars I've owned have exhibited similar behavior. A trick I've used to good effect in previous cars was to shut off the compressor and run the fan only for the last 5 mins or so of my drive when practical. This dried out the duct work and greatly diminished the musty smell on the next drive. I have not tried this in the i-pace so I don't know how easy it is to do (older cars often had dedicated AC button or an "econ" button that turned off the compressor)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I agree that most cars I've owned have exhibited similar behavior. A trick I've used to good effect in previous cars was to shut off the compressor and run the fan only for the last 5 mins or so of my drive when practical. This dried out the duct work and greatly diminished the musty smell on the next drive. I have not tried this in the i-pace so I don't know how easy it is to do (older cars often had dedicated AC button or an "econ" button that turned off the compressor)
But if the last 5 minutes of the drive is with the compressor off, that means you're now pulling in humid air from the outside and not the dehumidified air from the AC. I'm confused at to how this would dry out the ducts?

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
Exactly what I was going to say. Well done! ;)

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
But if the last 5 minutes of the drive is with the compressor off, that means you're now pulling in humid air from the outside and not the dehumidified air from the AC. I'm confused at to how this would dry out the ducts?
I think the cold coils cause condensation and that can build up and grow the smelly feet nasties. Running with compressor off warms the coils and prevents condensation after the car is off. The humidity in the ducts should then be similar to what is outside and not condense.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think the cold coils cause condensation and that can build up and grow the smelly feet nasties. Running with compressor off warms the coils and prevents condensation after the car is off. The humidity in the ducts should then be similar to what is outside and not condense.
And here I am with degrees in Meteorology thinking I should have thought of that. :sick:

But I have to say I can't recall ever experiencing that.

·
Registered
2020 S
112 Posts
I've never smelled this in a new car though. Maybe an older car that's low on refrigerant or has a neglected cabin filter, but not a new car. I had an Acura that did this when it was several years old, but it was low on refrigerant and spitting moisture out the vents so it was bound to collect water somewhere. On the I-Pace I first noticed it when I started the car up Sunday morning, but I didn't notice it on the return trip. Tuesday afternoon it was much stronger, and that time I also noticed it a couple hours later on the return trip. In all cases the smell went away pretty quickly, but a new Jag (or any new car) shouldn't smell like a litter box. My F150 doesn't stink. My wife's BMW doesn't stink. My old BMW the I-Pace replaced never stank in 6-1/2 years of ownership.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My car came with 4K miles on it and had been sitting on dealers' lot for a while. It came with very pleasant smell (not new car smell). It has since been added 3K miles with AC running for the past 100 days or so but the nice smell is still there. The dealer must did something and I am going to ask.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
55 Posts
I've had my I-Pace since May and noticed the same musty A/C smell for the first time this week. It's very humid where I live, but my garage is climate controlled. I'll try some of the tips above to see if they help.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts