Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states, moving to Germany and am looking for some help in regards to what accessories will I need?

• I see on videos for public chargers (non super charger types) where there are dual sided J-1772 to plug into a post and, naturally, the vehicle. Can't seem to find them though. Can someone point me in the right direction?
  • For charging stations. Can I use a credit card/U.S. debit card, or am I going to have to subscribe and obtain proprietary cards for the type of charger I use?
  • I assume I can update my U.S. Nav maps for a European one?
  • Pictures attached. I own the 16a 110-240 charger and plan on changing out the NEMA 6-20 plug for a German Shuko that can support 16a, since I will have a garage at the house with 220 outlet.

Any help on those topics above are most welcomed, as well as anything anyone can think of that I just didn't.
@Lar - Regensburg is about half way point between us...I'm calling it, fall of 2021..we'll start an i-pace club. Or, I'll just drool all over your MY21's pivi pro since mine is a 2019. ha ha ha
110-240 charger.jpg
Shuko.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don’t worry, you’re gonna have the time of your life. I have a lot of friends that are deployed here and they all love it.
You are talking about the socket we call chademo (j1772). I never used this. Don’t know how.
i assume the US I-pace has the same type 2 like my German version.
I usually go with my type 2 cable on slow chargers or the pre-attached ccs on fast chargers along autobahn.
i would recommend signing up for a few providers. I use EnBW-App. It’s cheap and reliable. But most of the ppl have Maingau and Plugsurfing as well.
Plugsurfing has lots of chargers combined, but its so expensive, I never use it.

it very rare to use credit cards for instant charging. And if you can, it costs an arm and a leg.
avoid ionity chargers(imho). They are fast and shiny but very pricey. Up to 90€ or 100$ per full charge.
Normally you can buy some sorts of gas stamps or smth for regular fuel at your px ( i assume military?)
With the stamps you don’t have to pay taxes on gas, which makes a huge difference. But I don’t know if there’s smth for electric cars as well.

I think the dealer can Update the satnav for 150€ or so.

there are plenty chargers in Regensburg even on the EnBW app. I try to attach a screenshot.
Have fun!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Don’t worry, you’re gonna have the time of your life. I have a lot of friends that are deployed here and they all love it.

2. You are talking about the socket we call chademo (j1772). I never used this. Don’t know how. i assume the US I-pace has the same type 2 like my German version. I usually go with my type 2 cable on slow chargers or the pre-attached ccs on fast chargers along autobahn.

3. i would recommend signing up for a few providers. I use EnBW-App. It’s cheap and reliable. But most of the ppl have Maingau and Plugsurfing as well. Plugsurfing has lots of chargers combined, but its so expensive, I never use it. it very rare to use credit cards for instant charging. And if you can, it costs an arm and a leg.
avoid ionity chargers(imho). They are fast and shiny but very pricey. Up to 90€ or 100$ per full charge.

4. I think the dealer can Update the satnav for 150€ or so.
@Illum

Thanks for the detailed response.
1. Oh, i know i am going to love it there. This will actually be my second tour there yes military. We were actually across the country near the netherlands and belgium for a previous assignment some years back. So we are looking forward to Bavaria. Thanks for the map. I am actually a little further north than Regensburg, or will be this summer.

2. I am not talking about Chademo. I just looked it up and that is a different type of plug all together. We do have the type 2 as you mentioned. I believe the one I have seen in videos are the one in the picture below. Did your Jag come with something like this? If not, where did you purchase it? I purchased mine used, but it seemed to have everything and I don't think in the US we have these included in our cars. So I assume this is something required in the German and European market?
level 2 .jpg

3. Thank you for that tidbit of information. I'll be sure to look into those. And stay away from ionity, that is rather steep for the amount of miles or kilometers (better get with it) we can get on a full charge.

4. Good to know, i think the closest dealership in Nuremburg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
Plenty of useful information there from Illum.
I also use EnBW mobility+ app, Maingau and Chargemap. Generally, you setup the payment method in the app.
I would also try to avoid Ionity, I believe its slightly cheaper if you pay a monthly subscription to Plugsurfing.

The Chargemap app (Carplay compatible) is quite useful for finding free charging stations by setting the appropriate filters. Supermarkets like Aldi Süd and Kaufland around Nuremberg have free charging stations with type 2, CCS and Chademo cables attached. The CCS and Chademo chargers deliver typically 50 kW DC and you can charge for an hour, shopping or not. If your IPace is the 2019 model AC charging on type 2 will only draw around 3.5 kW (the same with your German Shuko in the garage) per hour single phase from an 11 kW charger, and 7 kW per hour from a 22 kW charger as the power is delivered over 3 phases.
There are very few electric cats on the roads here, maybe that will change with the new onboard 3 phase charger.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
re: maps - go to jaguar.here.com, sign in with your account, and I think you can buy a subscription to maps for other areas. Europe and Russia 1 year = $119 and 3 year = $169.

Don't the European I-PACEs and other EVs have CCS 2 connectors? US has CCS 1. They look similar but not quite the same.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Germany is cool. Make sure to visit Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden.
Extend your Dresden trip to visit Prague. Totally amazing city, blows my mind every time.
Also make sure to high-tail it to Southern France to see the Roman ruins in Nimes, Orange, Arles, Avignon, Pont du Gard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: maps - go to jaguar.here.com, sign in with your account, and I think you can buy a subscription to maps for other areas. Europe and Russia 1 year = $119 and 3 year = $169.

Don't the European I-PACEs and other EVs have CCS 2 connectors? US has CCS 1. They look similar but not quite the same.
ahhhhhh, see it now. Well that is no bueno for me. Type to look for another adapter. My front space is going to look like a cavern of cables and adapters before this is all said and done.

I am also considering a Tesla Tap...not sure if that is needed over there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
What Lar posted will work for public fast charging.
If you're going to do home AC charging you might need to find a product like Kacsoo Multifunctional EV adapter, Type 2 Male Socket and 32A J1772 Type 1 Plug Converts type 2 charger to type 1 Portable EV charger for Electric Vehicle Car Charging Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

The site from Lar's posting has multiple choices. It's the charging equipment will be type 2 and the car is type 1, unless you're taking type 1 charging equipment with you that can be wired/plugged in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts