Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife asked if there are mobile charging services for EVs that have fully or near-fully drained their battery. Something similar to AAA. It's a great business idea but I don't what the challenges are. Is it possible to mount a small charging station in a panel van and carry multiple connectors?

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Attach a 100kw DC charger. Tow that around and charge people up. At $10/kilowatt and a 50 kilowatt minimum, it might make financial sense, but good luck getting customers.
Yeah, not for me but someone who lives in California or other Tesla-density area. I also found that AAA does offer this service in a few cities including Denver which is relatively close to me. It's probably not a viable business model now but the future is bright.

https://electrek.co/2016/09/06/aaa-ev-emergency-charging-truck/

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't intend to try this, but if you run out of electrons within 3 miles of a AAA service location with a charger, they could tow your car there as a part of basic AAA membership. You could charge there. Upgrade your membership and the towing distance could be longer. It might be long enough to complete the trip. :smile2:
Many of the AAA service locations around here have added Evgo fast DC chargers.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thinking about this more...

1) get a roof rack kit
2) mount something like a solar panel kit to it
3) wire it to an inverter to get 120V
4) plug in the supplied charger
5) plug the charger into the car port

You'll have your own mobile charging service.

:grin2:

·
Registered
571 Posts
My wife asked if there are mobile charging services for EVs that have fully or near-fully drained their battery. Something similar to AAA. It's a great business idea but I don't what the challenges are. Is it possible to mount a small charging station in a panel van and carry multiple connectors?
Possible? Sure. Does it exist? No.

Solution is to tow the vehicle to a charging system.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking about this more...

1) get a roof rack kit
2) mount something like a solar panel kit to it
3) wire it to an inverter to get 120V
4) plug in the supplied charger
5) plug the charger into the car port

You'll have your own mobile charging service.
]
Shear Guiness, I mean genius! I'll put my wife right on it as the idea was hers. ?

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Possible? Sure. Does it exist? No.
Oh but it does...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts