Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was disappointed by the availability. I understand US sales don't begin until some time in 2020.

I had previously expected they'd be selling here next year.

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
Yup. Another one that doesn't take advantage of the design opportunity an EV affords. And why only an 80kWh battery on a big pig like that? They don't really seem to want to sell EVs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup. Another one that doesn't take advantage of the design opportunity an EV affords. And why only an 80kWh battery on a big pig like that? They don't really seem to want to sell EVs.
Mercedes buyers and Chinese will buy EQC, but I sure do thing they could have done better... Size wise, it is longer then I-Pace, but not when you only count the passenger area, firewall to rear bumper, I think I-Pace is about the same, and I-Pace is definitely wider.

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
The more I look at it the more I think it's a tragically missed opportunity.

It's extremely heavy!
It's as long as the iPace with a much shorter wheelbase and a much longer snout => less interior space
And it's slightly narrower than the iPace, which is counterintuitive to me

They let the marketing guys drive the design. "It has to look like a regular SUV."

Contrast that with the relentlessly functional attitude of Ian Callum et al: "There's no reason to have a long front, there's no straight 6 in there." "Interior dimensions of a Cayenne, exterior of a Macan."

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
Ok this is lengthy and it only addresses some silly 'performance' specs but the conclusion is correct IMO.
From a Tesla enthusiast site no less

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok this is lengthy and it only addresses some silly 'performance' specs but the conclusion is correct IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiZPdFb-Gw
From a Tesla enthusiast site no less
Ugh, that guy keeps repeating his mantra of tax break for Model X because it weighs over 6,000 pounds. That is a tax code loop hole and it's suppose to be for heavy duty equipment that are put in service for farming or business. Unless one is claiming that Model X use is 100% business, you are not suppose to take that tax deduction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our i3 will tide us over till we can get an EV SUV-ish car for our other needs - we are waiting (im)patiently.....

So the I Pace, the Merc EQC and eTron were all 'interesting'.

Sadly they are falling by the wayside as the details get revealed. I Pace? Too poor energy consumption (at the moment) and too expensive but quite nice otherwise.

So I was getting quite excited about the Merc EQC (the concept look promising - as did the drip-feed info)……

After reviewing all the stuff that has come out since the release, I am seriously underwhelmed. Too heavy; too expensive; poor range (again..?!); disappointing styling (blunt fugly front); basically a converted ICE car not playing to EV advantages; massive useless bonnet with a fake 'engine' (wtf?); etc

And the interior just looks like a blingy dog's breakfast - disjointed; ostentatious; scrappy; busy; ugly. Does this sort of nonsense actually appeal to some people?! I must be already too influenced by the Tesla interiors as I imagine it would have been ok just a few year ago!!!!

If this is really the best that MB can do as an introduction to EVs, they have a serious mountain to climb. The main customers (I imagine) will be interested Merc GLC purchasers who like the idea of 'going electric' so it will cannibalize MB's ICE cars rather than winning over EV enthusiasts or ICE converts.

Feels like a massively missed opportunity.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Our i3 will tide us over till we can get an EV SUV-ish car for our other needs - we are waiting (im)patiently.....

So the I Pace, the Merc EQC and eTron were all 'interesting'.

Sadly they are falling by the wayside as the details get revealed. I Pace? Too poor energy consumption (at the moment) and too expensive but quite nice otherwise.

So I was getting quite excited about the Merc EQC (the concept look promising - as did the drip-feed info)……

After reviewing all the stuff that has come out since the release, I am seriously underwhelmed. Too heavy; too expensive; poor range (again..?!); disappointing styling (blunt fugly front); basically a converted ICE car not playing to EV advantages; massive useless bonnet with a fake 'engine' (wtf?); etc

And the interior just looks like a blingy dog's breakfast - disjointed; ostentatious; scrappy; busy; ugly. Does this sort of nonsense actually appeal to some people?! I must be already too influenced by the Tesla interiors as I imagine it would have been ok just a few year ago!!!!

If this is really the best that MB can do as an introduction to EVs, they have a serious mountain to climb. The main customers (I imagine) will be interested Merc GLC purchasers who like the idea of 'going electric' so it will cannibalize MB's ICE cars rather than winning over EV enthusiasts or ICE converts.

Feels like a massively missed opportunity.
I think it has to be understood that the EQC reaches a broad range of buyers, it paint with very broad strokes. Very few buyers will find it to be a compromise with practicality.
If you're willing to wait longer, a coupe-like electric SUV should launch. Mercedes of all brands out there is great with bringing new products out and with speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts