Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that all the reviews on the new Ford Mach E were released today. Generally speaking, they're really rave reviews. This will be a very hot seller for Ford.

·
Registered
711 Posts
So it seems that all the reviews on the new Ford Mach E were released today. Generally speaking, they're really rave reviews. This will be a very hot seller for Ford.
You never know. The I-PACE all got stellar reviews and tons of awards, yet here we are.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You never know. The I-PACE all got stellar reviews and tons of awards, yet here we are.
Ford will support their products better, they will have aggressive and attractive financing options, they have a lot of money behind this as it's Fords future.
They need to go electric due to regulations.

I think it will be a hot too. I'm sure there will be the initial bugs at first, but it will get sorted out.

It's a completely different car then the I-Pace

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Yeah it looks more like a model Y in overall shape. Sure the details are different.

I wonder how it will stack up against the ID4, which makes no claims regarding 'performance'. But they're in similar price ranges.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ID4 has a 0-60 time in the mid 8 seconds range, so slow (or leisurely) by BEV standards. It also looks smaller inside & out. I would think many (most?) cross shoppers would go for the ME. But who knows?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I already have my larger EV. I want my baby RWD funbox.

I think the Mach E is just kind of dull. Tesla will still kill Ford on range, and that interior isn't especially special. It's half-assed.

If Tesla could just make a Model 3 or Y interior that doesn't make me want to hurt myself, and perhaps added a lot of sound deadening, I'd consider one. Well, maybe not the Y. It's hideous.

But the Mach-E isn't even on the radar, methinks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tesla tried to add some sound deadening on the Model 3 by going to double pane windows (I think it was just the front driver & passenger side). According to Bjorn, it either didn’t work or it’s effect was minimal.

It will be interesting to see what Tesla does with the interior refresh of the MS. That may be happening very soon as the MS production line is being shut down for several weeks for employee ‘vacations’ (many aren’t buying that explanation).

It would be a colossal mistake if they eliminate the instrument cluster, as some rumors suggest, and go to a single display like the M3. At this price point they have to do better with the interior or MS & MX sales will continue to dwindle. The luxury quotient needs to be upgraded like JLR did with our kitties.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If the model s plaid comes out with a world class interior, I would strongly consider it. I have the perfect spaceballs license plate already.

The ipace makes me feel like a million bucks. A nice car should do that, and the interior is where the magic happens, plus how people react to the car's looks. The Teslas never made me feel that way, though the mx did get a lot of attention early on. Now it's just a pod car. The ipace still impresses people.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think this will do well in US. I think there's built up demand for a more traditional BEV - with an instrument panel, door handles, buttons ... in the lower price range. The Ford brand will also appeal to the US market and more conservatives that consider Tesla too 'radical". Still think the Ipace is much better looking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure I'd call a vehicle with two tablet screens stuck onto (rather than integrated into) a spartan dash "traditional." That said, I think the Mach-E will be successful as will the Nissan Ariya, both more attractive than the low-end Teslas and priced for a larger market than the European BEVs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not sure I'd call a vehicle with two tablet screens stuck onto (rather than integrated into) a spartan dash "traditional." That said, I think the Mach-E will be successful as will the Nissan Ariya, both more attractive than the low-end Teslas and priced for a larger market than the European BEVs.
Agree with you about the screens. Said this before - not sure why manufacturers mount these screens outside the dash. I prefer the ipace look where the screen and dash are integrated. BMW, Mercedes, Audi... all have these screens popping up/out. Must be cheaper to make/build /easier to service or something.

It'll be good to have more non tesla EVs out there - should lead to better charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Agree with you about the screens. Said this before - not sure why manufacturers mount these screens outside the dash. I prefer the ipace look where the screen and dash are integrated. BMW, Mercedes, Audi... all have these screens popping up/out. Must be cheaper to make/build /easier to service or something.

It'll be good to have more non tesla EVs out there - should lead to better charging infrastructure.
I don't get the exterior screens either. The 2021 S Class has probably the best interior of any car, but the pop our screen makes it look really cheap

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't get the exterior screens either. The 2021 S Class has probably the best interior of any car, but the pop our screen makes it look really cheap
Just searched for images of that car - you're are right. Those pop out screens look out of place. Wonder how much marketing group research gets done before companies make these decisions - weird,

·
Registered
65 Posts
People who grew up in the era of tablets and smartphones will think stick-on screens are cool and "today." Older folks like me might see them as strange and not car-like. To me, a well-crafted interior is a must in a car, and that ruled out any Tesla. Our other vehicle is a Volvo XC90, with a stylish Scandinavian-style interior.

One of the attractive aspects about the I-Pace to me is that the infotainment screen doesn't have a visible bezel around it. It just sits behind a wider glass panel unobtrusively, like it belongs there naturally. Same with the smaller climate screen. I feel like I'm driving a car, not an oversized tablet on wheels.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I do like the looks of the I-Pace interior. It's not the most usable system. But then those huge touchscreens without physical controls are so much worse. Give me both, I guess, and not a floating tablet. Or better yet, give me analog controls. Just a digital speedo. I now believe that a HUD is unnecessary. I'd rather not know my speed. Knowing just makes me slow down!

Reactions: Scufflegrit

·
Registered
122 Posts
Biggest advantage this will have is foot traffic. It will be one of the only EV in a dealership with the highest volume vehicle in the US, F-150. And you won't have to just accept one dealership. In a modest size town there are 4 or more Ford dealers in easy driving range. Daddy goes to get his pick-up and mommy takes home the Mach-E. If it is a good car, it will sell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts