Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
So 4G was working all day today. Interesting in that it's Sunday and cell traffic is probably low. Although tomorrow is a holiday, I'll check on it again. I've got an appointment to have it looked at on Tuesday, but I'm not sure if this will be at all productive since it really appears to be an AT&T issue. If it is, good luck trying to get them to straighten it out. I somehow think they look at mobile data as a low priority.
I think mobile data is beyond a low priority and they honestly do not understand it (or care).

1 visit to dealer, 3 emails to dealer, 2 long calls with AT&T and one even longer call with Jaguar....and NO ONE can get my VIN entered in the system for 4G mobile data. I cannot add my SIM ICCID # to my AT&T mobile data plan since Jaguar says there is no SIM card attached to my car (even though the Jaguar dealer gave me the SIM card) and AT&T says my VIN does not exist in their system, nor does my new SIM card.

I too am just at a loss at what to do? When both Jaguar and AT&T says they cannot help.....what are the other options?!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Deutsch, it's really frustrating when 2 entities point the finger at each other and leave the customer in the lurch. I wonder what would happen if we went to another carrier just for the mobile data piece. Would they even insist on a Vin#?

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
Deutsch, it's really frustrating when 2 entities point the finger at each other and leave the customer in the lurch. I wonder what would happen if we went to another carrier just for the mobile data piece. Would they even insist on a Vin#?
Google Fi requires no VIN #. Still in process of getting it working. They sent a nano SIM and I need a converter to a micro SIM for the I-Pace.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
Google Fi requires no VIN #. Still in process of getting it working. They sent a nano SIM and I need a converter to a micro SIM for the I-Pace.
This seems to be above my tech level, LOL. I'm lucky if I can switch from DirecTV to Netflix and still cannot figure out 1/2 the sh*t my iPhone does (and I'm not even "old"). Keep us/me posted about this Google Fi. I have never heard of Google Fi before.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In USA the rules for VIN# registration with AT&T SIMs seem to be troublesome for many users.

In Australia if you need national 4G coverage that includes remote area towns the Telstra network is best, based on my 30 years of working in these places. I have several older Netgear dual channel 4G Data Hotspots I still use in my camper.

I took the SIM from one of the devices and installed it into the I-Pace console SIM holder and after selecting it on the connections menu it works fine in the car and has remained there for many months.

Can you remove a pre-registered SIM from a similar data device or phone and test that in your I-Pace, or must the AT&T SIM always have to be registered & locked to a particular IMEI to work on the 4G network?

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Can you remove a pre-registered SIM from a similar data device or phone and test that in your I-Pace, or must the AT&T SIM always have to be registered & locked to a particular IMEI to work on the 4G network?

Cheers, Steve
Steve, that’s the $64,000 question. I would have thought it would have needed to be locked to the IMEI, but who knows? My iPhone X takes a nano SIM, so like Doc I’d need an adapter. But with my luck it won’t work in the kitty and then when I reinsert it in the iPhone, it too will no longer work. What would be worse is if the SIM detached from the holder as you inserted or removed the SIM from kitty and somehow got lodged in the car’s SIM slot.

Now even though this article is old and about a GM vehicle, I wonder if it doesn’t also have relevance to our Jags:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just as a heads up, I plugged the IMEI of the car into the Verizon website for their version of mobile connect and it said the I-Pace wasn’t compatible. In a way that’s not surprising in that Verizon uses CDMA and AT&T uses TDMA. So if the car’s modem is only tuned to TDMA, Verizon won’t work. I would suspect that T-Mobile would be compatible since like AT&T, it too is TDMA.

At any rate I’m probably canceling my appointment tomorrow since the connection has been fine for the last 2 days. I don’t want to waste hours to hear, “we see no issues”.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Ken, I found a link ( below) it is an ATT IMEI checker. It does not work for me in Australia, but may be interesting for you in USA.

I can search and find many IMEI checkers on google, not sure why there are so many or if they are safe to use.

This one says it can report on IMEI device specifications, Carrier info etc.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: Ken and Deutsch100

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Steve. Most of us in the U.S. are on AT&T now, so I know there’s compatibility there. Verizon wasn’t compatible when I plugged in my IMEI to their checker. However with that said, AT&T seems to have been having service issues recently.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
This seems to be above my tech level, LOL. I'm lucky if I can switch from DirecTV to Netflix and still cannot figure out 1/2 the sh*t my iPhone does (and I'm not even "old"). Keep us/me posted about this Google Fi. I have never heard of Google Fi before.
Got my nano to micro SIM adapter today and promptly plugged in my Google Fi SIM into the I-Pace. Both the instructions on this website:

and the Google Fi website suggested using "h2g2" manually set as the network. Before I could do that the "auto" selection found Google Fi network and was showing "3G" on the upper right corner of the screen. For grins, I changed the network discovery to manual and entered "h2g2" as the network. It thought about it for a minute or so and I didn't see anything come up, so I switched it back to "auto" and it found Google Fi again and posted the "3G" designation. I left it like that and decided to see what would happen the next time I drive. FYI, my house is in a weak area for Google Fi cell service, so it may find the 3G network easier. I'm hoping to see it change to "4G" the next time I drive it. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Pete, I’m assuming they use someone’s towers like AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. Virtually all of the lesser known services do because of the huge expense of putting up their own towers. One big negative I’ve found with these ‘2nd or 3rd tier’ carriers is that because they use the big boy’s towers, their customers are often treated like 2nd class citizens.

We had been with Consumer Cellular who use either AT&T’s towers or T-Mobile’s (often your choice when you initiate service). Since we had AT&T, we knew their service well. During non-peak hours, Consumer Cellular’s service was indistinguishable from AT&T’s. However when cell traffic was congested, we were pushed to the back of the line and often had trouble getting out to websites. We gave up after much frustration and went back with AT&T. We eventually switched to Verizon just recently.

Hopefully you do better.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
49 Posts
Same. I have no idea what any of you are even talking about 😂

·
Registered
106 Posts
I imagine a lot of the issues are related to them restricting access to only their basic 4G network and not giving access to the much faster LTE network. My co-workers phone consistently gets over 120 MPS and my car can only get about 11 down and 2 up. Not sure why they are restricting the speed. It does say on the Jag website that it is 4G so no false advertising, just wondering why.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I imagine a lot of the issues are related to them restricting access to only their basic 4G network and not giving access to the much faster LTE network. My co-workers phone consistently gets over 120 MPS and my car can only get about 11 down and 2 up. Not sure why they are restricting the speed. It does say on the Jag website that it is 4G so no false advertising, just wondering why.
I think it goes beyond that. What some of us have experienced is a total drop of service. You can be stopped at a light, and go from a full set of bars to none in a second. If you were listening to an Internet app like TuneIn, the station you were listening to totally drops out. So at least in these cases it’s not a question of receiving LTE, but totally losing the existing 4G service.

In some cases service can drop out for hours and then suddenly return for no reason, all while in good service areas. This certainly seems like some kind of communication issue between the towers and our cars. Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be a significant concern of AT&T as long as you pay their bills. ;)

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
After driving it today, I'm seeing "3G" and "E" and haven't seen 4G at all with it setup in "Auto" and it finding Google Fi. If I manually enter "h2g2" as the network as the instructions said, I get no connection at all. So far it is disappointing. Not sure if I need a micro SIM instead of the nano or if it is just the service. My phone service is fine, but not so much with this data only sim in the I-Pace. I'll keep watching it and see if anything changes. Not sure I have to have it. If this is as good as it gets, I may get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
816 Posts
I've got my connections restored. I let it sleep until deep sleep and beyond (past 100 hours).
Powered it up this AM and drove it. Checked the app when I returned. It was wacky but returned data. Wrong data.
Data for SOC and guessed miles did not match cat display. They were miles apart. Status of lock/unlock was opposite of reality. Could not change it via the app. Other readings/status shown by WattCat all wrong.

Pressed the optimized assistance button until it blinked slower than the initial fast blink and waited until it stopped blinking. Noticed that the official instructions say to ensure WI-FI is off. Turned it off and repeated the procedure.

Checked the phone apps a couple of minutes alter. They are back in sync with the car.

Lost trips that occurred between 1 Sep and early last Friday when I put it to bed for the long nap.

It will be coming up on the 21K miles service in the near future. I'll be mentioning the problems then.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So I've had perfect reception for almost 3 days...until late today. Most of the day was fine, but then after parking I got back into the car, turned on the car and allowed the screen to boot up. I saw a full set of AT&T bars for a few seconds and then, all of a sudden, the reception fell off the clip...gone, finito, done. I had no signal for the duration of the ride home. Very odd.

I pulled into the garage, turned the car off and locked the door. Five minutes later I got back in and a full set of bars reappeared. This is a bit concerning in that it seems more than a coincidence that after locking the car and getting back in the reception returned. Either very coincidentally AT&T was back on the air or there was some kind of computer glitch that was cleared by the locking and unlocking as the car rebooted.

I was really becoming convinced this was all in AT&T's court, but now I'm having doubts.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
Since trying to get my nano Google Fi SIM to work earlier this week, I've got no mobile service at all and I no longer have phone app access to the car. I put the AT&T SIM back in and it seems to recognize I inserted a SIM, but won't allow me to set it up manually and won't find a network in "auto" mode. I have WiFi setup, although I needed to connect it manually again, but the phone app and WattCat won't connect to the car any longer. If this goes on much longer, I think I will be making a service appointment. Maybe finally get my TCU 14.2 updated.

My trial period with the AT&T SIM has expired and I didn't renew it, but I would think it would recognize the SIM even if I didn't get service. It did auto setup my Google Fi nano SIM more than once even if the service was no better than 3G, but no longer sets up that SIM either.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts