Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing the lower black part of my front bumper is separating. I haven't hit anything or park to close to the curb.
Are the black and painted parts together as "bumper" or separate? I do not see separate part ID on Jaguar part catalog.

Anybody has similar observation or problem with your bumper?

I hate going to the dealership, stuff like this, they always say I did something.

Thanks.

Driver's side

Is the black part glued to the red?

Passanger side.

Found a picture on ebay but can't make out of it on how it is attached, the zoom is too grainy

·
Registered
76 Posts
The black plastic part on my car is flush with the painted part. I do have scrape marks on the wind deflectors. It looks like your wind deflectors are pristine so I doubt it is from damage.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the same issue but was my fault. I pulled into a parking spot on the side of the road (parallel perking, bit went forward into it as there was nothing in front) and nosed slightly into a snow bank a bit (unavoidable in winter here) and unluckily caught a chunk of ice in the snow. No damage other than the corner of the black part separated as yours has. I assumed that when the weather got warmer, I'd crawl under to see how I can refasten it, either reeclip it (if there is a clip), use some adhesive or a 3D printed carbon clip of carefully placed screw...

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,109 Posts
Looking closely at that picture, there appear to be short tabs on the black part that go through slots in the painted part.

If they're just pulled out of the slots then it should be a small matter to reseat them into the slots.

If those tabs have broken off, the black part will hang. One will have to glue/epoxy/double sided tape the black piece up to the painted piece, unless one can get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ayepace.

I tried pushing the black piece in hoping something would catch but nothing. It bounced back.
I see there are 2 flat surfaces behind the black piece.
Would 3M double sided tape work or use glue/epoxy? The location is grimy.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow anyway to get my tire fix, I'll see if this issue is under warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi kdx125, the black rear bumper trim strip that starts at the back of the rear wheel arch has the same problem. My trim strip uses the same body mounting clips plus a black polyurethane adhesive. Looking at your closeup photo on post #5, I can recognize the same black adhesive has detached on each of our cars.

Your photo shows a black oblong shaped pad with semicircular ends, it appears to be still bonded to the red painted panel but the smooth black surface has detached from the inside surface of the black panel.

The front edge of my trim detached and rather than take it in for repair, I tried some 3M automotive mounting tape as repair patches, but on very hot days the 3M Tape failed after several attempts. Tomorrow I am having a warranty replacement of this part.

Cheers, Steve

Edited

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks Ayepace.

I tried pushing the black piece in hoping something would catch but nothing. It bounced back.
I see there are 2 flat surfaces behind the black piece.
Would 3M double sided tape work or use glue/epoxy? The location is grimy.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow anyway to get my tire fix, I'll see if this issue is under warranty.

I may be wrong, but ot looks like there is a small crack so you may have inadvertently caught a bit of sidewalk or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve,
I had that trim replaced once, the long center section, because I bumped the blunt end of a rake handle and its surface chipped off, 🤬 unbelievable! Everytime I opened the hatch, the chip stuck out like a sore thumb telling me to fix it. Good thing the part wasn't too expensive, <US$100. The body shop said it was cheaper to replace it than to repaint the trim.

-idzam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I know what you are referring to, that is actually a shadow from the upper bit.
The top red bit is longer than the bottom bit where the black trim sticks to, so there is an angle cut, where the shadow is. Hard to see in the innard ebay picture

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,109 Posts
Based on that picture above, an epoxy or urethane adhesive meant for bonding body parts could be injected in there, clamp the pieces together until set, and it should be good until the next pulling by a parking stop on the bottom side of the bumper as you back out of a parking space. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I deny all allegation of curbing my poor kitty bumper 🙄 but I am not the only one who drives it... I did curb my front passenger wheel 😵 in the rain...still need fixing. I have wheel insurance. Sometimes the sensors and cameras are so bloody slow. My previous Benz C230K wheels were so badly mangled 😢 due to no parking sensor.

I tried using the robot parking feature...gave up on it. Much quicker if I park myself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had my rear bumper corner trim replaced this morning. The front clip had broken off and the black polyurethane caulk gradually released as the trim piece wanted to spring away from the body work.

The photo of the new trim below is not great, it has some shadows on the light background.

The workshop used a Sika brand adhesive SikaTack OEM+ , it seems to be a fast curing polyurethane used for windscreens etc.

I think that Ayepace's repair suggestion for kdx125's bumper will make a good repair, a more generous application of adhesive this time should stop it coming off again.

Cheers, Steve

I-Pace New Rear Trim a.jpg
SikaTack OEM+ b.jpg

Reactions: kdx125
1 - 12 of 12 Posts